The Holy Trinity

June 6th, 2018 at 11:41:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
"His followers"? Wouldn't that make Him a little different than most dead guys you know?

Buddha and Mohammad have lots
of followers too, so what. They're
dead, Jesus is dead, they don't
talk to anybody anymore. The
dead don't talk to us and if you
had proof that Jesus does, you
would have presented it.

Quote:
You know of course that you are wrong... This is another big difference you seem to recognize between a dead man and the Resurrected Lord.

Nope to both. I've said before, you
do this a lot, it has to be something
you were taught. To have opinions
and state them as facts. It
really doesn't work very well, it just
makes you look desperate. Like a
door to door salesman so needing
a sale he has to put words in
people mouths.

Quote:
like Christians talking about a personal relationship with Jesus is new.

When I was hanging out with those
young Xtions in my youth, nobody
but nobody talked about Jesus like they
do now. He wasn't a personal friend,
he didn't ride in the car with you, there
was no talk of your 'walk with Jesus',
no personal relationship with him. If
you had talked that way, people would
have backed off like you were touched
in the head.

All that started with the Jesus Movement
in the late 60's and into the 70's. It's
where the word Jesus Freak came from.
The movement moved on, but the things
it spawned, all this 'talking with Jesus'
nonsense, and Jesus is my best friend,
got carried over into mainline Xtionity.
Where it still broods and festers today.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 7th, 2018 at 5:30:08 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob

When I was hanging out with those
do now.

I'm curious why you think your personal experience is all the proof you need to make wild conclusions with no real connection to fact or reality. You personally had this experience, but look what you do with it. You extrapolate this to be some universal truth. You claim that all this talk about talking with Jesus began in 1970s and ignore the evidence of the NT and the Early Church that shows you are wrong. You value your personal experience as the most important thing and you draw feacious conclusions because of that.

I talk about my personal experience and you make fun of me and call me insane. You claim that for me and the billions of believers in God that our personal experience is not even evidence, yet you hang out with wishy washy Christians for a few months and you think your personal experience is a universal truth? What gives, Evenbob? How can you explain your hypocrisy?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 7th, 2018 at 10:37:05 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'm curious why you think

My POINT is, before the 70's, nobody
claimed to speak with god in the media.
When Pat Robertson did it, the press
went nuts with it. Now every Xtion claims
to do it, they are 'best friends' with Jesus
and he personally advises them minute
by minute, according to them.

Who cares what the NT says, they were also
walking on water and raising the dead in
their myths. I'm talking about NOW, and
when somebody tells me a dead guy talks
to them every day, I generally back away.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 7th, 2018 at 12:31:04 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
How can I blame them if they have never heard the Gospel? That is why we need to be missionary in our efforts to share the Good News.

Again this is not true and a straw man argument. What you are describing is the "God of the gaps" and I do not believe in such a concept of God. God comes through our desire to do science and learn about the universe. Knowing that the universe was created with specific, and as it turns out miraculously fine tuned physical laws, as well as order and intelligibility is essential to understanding anything. If we thought the universe or anything in it was just a random popping into existence without any set laws or order how or why could we study it? The reality is that the more we understand our universe through technology and science the more we also understand God not the other way around.

See, so, without being told about your "God" - they would not believe - so the whole premise of proving or disproving is nonsensical - "God" or "gods" are a made-up concept to give comfort to people who were not scientifically advanced enough to gain knowledge of the world around them as we have today
June 7th, 2018 at 12:35:49 PM permalink
aceofspades
*EXCERPT*Which is exactly what you do. Tell me the difference between me stating that there is a God and you stating there is not a God? The only difference I can see is that I make arguments and provide evidence of God and you have never given an argument or any evidence that there is not one.

Tell me the difference between my stating there is an invisible, inaudible, undetectable dinosaur living in my backyard? It is all "because I say so"
June 7th, 2018 at 12:38:07 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Wizard
*EXCERPT*You see this at the blackjack table all the time -- we all lost because he hit when he should have stood..

Wait Wiz - that is a totally proven fact!
June 7th, 2018 at 12:48:50 PM permalink
aceofspades
*EXCERPT*When I was hanging out with those
do now. He wasn't a personal friend,
he didn't ride in the car with you...

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car

I can go a hundred miles an hour
Long as I got the Almighty Power
Glued up there by my pair of fuzzy dice
June 7th, 2018 at 1:34:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: aceofspades
Wait Wiz - that is a totally proven fact!

Maybe it was a bad analogy. I was trying to say that it is human nature to need a cause for everything. If it was something bad, we need someone to point the finger at. If there was a bad crop or natural disaster, who are you going to blame? Has to be somebody. The Man in the Sky seems to make the most sense as it can't be easily disproven* he didn't do it.

* Why does my spell checker not like that word?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 7th, 2018 at 2:11:07 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Wizard
Maybe it was a bad analogy. I was trying to say that it is human nature to need a cause for everything. If it was something bad, we need someone to point the finger at. If there was a bad crop or natural disaster, who are you going to blame? Has to be somebody. The Man in the Sky seems to make the most sense as it can't be easily disproven* he didn't do it.

* Why does my spell checker not like that word?

We haven't changed as a society we still want to blame someone for what is happening. High housing prices, homelessness, crime/drugs, poor wages. We expect the government to solve the unsolvable problems. If the government doesn't appear to be doing something we boot them out of office. We know most of the solutions aren't going to work but the government must appear to be doing something.

Ancient governments were the same. The rains are late and the crops will fail. "Not our fault it is the Rain God". Give us a virgin to sacrifice and it will get better. Oh, it didn't work. You people must have really pissed off the Rain God we need another virgin.

Doesn't sound a lot different then most of the bull shit that governments throw at us now.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 7th, 2018 at 8:15:35 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
My POINT is, before the 70's, nobody
claimed to speak with god in the media.

My point is that this is not true. Ever heard of Fulton Sheen?

Quote:
I'm talking about NOW, and
when somebody tells me a dead guy talks
to them every day, I generally back away.

I would too or maybe look into doing an exorcism. But Jesus is not dead, He is alive and truly God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (