Massacre in Las Vegas

October 3rd, 2017 at 7:57:36 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I think there are more ways to possibly deal with these vehicle attacks that aren't prohibitively expensive, at least in venues where authorities want to prepare against a possible attack.

Very simple, too.

You simply place these short reinforced concrete pillars, I don't know the technical term for them, at the edge of the sidewalk. they can be done decoratively, and incorporate features like lights and wastebaskets. Cars and trucks are effectively stopped by this type of barrier.

Of course, this makes sense to do only in busy avenues with lots of pedestrians. At the Vegas Strip it would be perfect.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 3rd, 2017 at 9:31:44 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
Do many of your friends believe it is okay to randomly kill those you disagree with terapined? .

yup (sarcasm)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 3rd, 2017 at 10:47:24 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

You made it 1st thing in the morning. So I have to guess you were less "horrified" and more interested in being a liberal hack, attacking politically.

Now you know why I have him and
his buddy blocked. Not worth my
time even speaking to people like
this.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 3rd, 2017 at 12:20:27 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
From Rush Limbaugh:

Here is an interesting take. Hannah Arendt, She escaped Germany during the Holocaust and found refuge in America where she became a visiting scholar at some of America’s finest academic institutions. She was the first female lecturer at Princeton. Here is her theory that she espoused years ago in predicting things like this.

“The greater the bureaucratization of public life, the greater will be the attraction of violence. In a fully developed bureaucracy there is nobody left with whom one could argue, to whom one could present grievances, on whom the pressures of power could be exerted. Bureaucracy is the form of government in which everybody is deprived of political freedom, of the power to act; for the rule by Nobody is not no-rule, and where all are equally powerless we have a tyranny without a tyrant.”

This nicely accounts for how we started seeing this kind of thing in the 1960s, just when the modern, bureaucracy was forming as we know it. Great Society and so.
The President is a fink.
October 3rd, 2017 at 12:27:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
Very simple, too.

You simply place these short reinforced concrete pillars, I don't know the technical term for them, at the edge of the sidewalk. they can be done decoratively, and incorporate features like lights and wastebaskets. Cars and trucks are effectively stopped by this type of barrier.

Of course, this makes sense to do only in busy avenues with lots of pedestrians. At the Vegas Strip it would be perfect.

Yes, disguising them as both useful objects (trash cans) and decorative is the best idea.

People need something to put in between them and the oncoming vehicle that's not to far to run to. Even though small ones wouldn't stop much of the debris and body of a large truck, they can certainly be made strong enough to cripple it from continuing to travel farther down the street on its own power.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 3rd, 2017 at 12:31:34 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
People need something to put in between them and the oncoming vehicle that's not to far to run to. Even though small ones wouldn't stop much of the debris and body of a large truck, they can certainly be made strong enough to cripple it from continuing to travel farther down the street on its own power.

At the ends where the closed pedestrian Fremont St. meets actual streets, there are small, metal posts about waist high. These serve more as an indication to incoming traffic not to enter, and I doubt they could stop a car, much less a truck.

But made of reinforced concrete with a deep enough foundation, you'd need a tank to budge them.

It really is as simple as that.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 3rd, 2017 at 1:08:25 PM permalink
Evenbob

People need something to put in between them and the oncoming vehicle that's not to far to run to. .

I must be different. I always assume
there is some nutjob who can hit
me with their car, so I take precautions.
Even when I wait for Uber at the bottom
on the driveway, I wait back from the
road and make it hard for me to be
a target. It's instinctual.

I avoid crowds for the same reason. I
have a self preservation instinct, not
a Lemming instinct like most people
have. I assume there are bad people
everywhere. I was not shocked at
all by Vegas, I have wondered for
decades how such an easy target
has escaped.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 3rd, 2017 at 1:41:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Turns out the guy was both a mail carrier and worked for the IRS.

MOTIVE!

He obviously went completely nuts.

(sorry FACE, had to go there)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 3rd, 2017 at 1:55:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Turns out the guy was both a mail carrier and worked for the IRS.
MOTIVE!
)

So he finally went postal, it was only
a matter of time. Somebody please
relieve Face of his weapons horde
before it's too late..
October 3rd, 2017 at 2:24:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
This is what the scumbag CBS lawyer
and VP said yesterday, that she got
fired for.

And she's oh so regretful today, but
only because she was fired for it.
She should be blacklisted.