I Love Youtube

July 19th, 2018 at 5:24:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I stayed in a place like that in Venice Beach (California). However, the common area was more like a youth hostile and I felt very old.

I stayed at a youth hostel once. I felt old as well, but it was like a minimum security prison fantasy camp so I made the best of it.

Maybe I do the capsule in a few years and post on it.
The President is a fink.
July 20th, 2018 at 10:56:35 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
Maybe I do the capsule in a few years and post on it.

I thought that the main clients of capsule hotels were Japanese businessmen who stayed out too late with clients and were too drunk to make the long trip home. They spent the night for cheap and got a shower in the morning before returning for work.
July 20th, 2018 at 11:10:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
I thought that the main clients of capsule hotels were Japanese businessmen who stayed out too late with clients and were too drunk to make the long trip home. They spent the night for cheap and got a shower in the morning before returning for work.

That is the biggest hunk, though some are adding amenities and getting the youth hostel crowd.
The President is a fink.
July 20th, 2018 at 2:06:33 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
On my way back to Vegas on Wednesday, I saw a VW Squareback, which brought back a lot of memories, so I shot a quick video of them. However, on the way back to Vegas I kept thinking of more things to say, so kept adding onto it. Please give it a look and I hope you don't find it too boring.

Direct: https://youtu.be/ahy9NLGpcuY
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 20th, 2018 at 2:37:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
On my way back to Vegas on Wednesday, I saw a VW Squareback,

$4500 for a rusty dented VW?

In MI 55mph slowed us down from
80 to 70 on the freeway. When we
took trips when I was a kid, it was in
a 56 Pontiac wagon with a roof rack
on top for luggage. We never ate
in restaurants, never stayed in motels,
my dad would drive 16 hours straight
to get to DE where his parents lived.

We had a metal cooler with bologna
sandwiches and chips and Kool Aid,
my parents were way too cheap to ever
buy Coke. I read comic books the whole
way.

This was the car but it had rust, it's didn't
look as nice as this.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2018 at 2:56:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
My dad always drove the speed limit. We often stopped at rest stops and ate out of the Styrofoam chest my mother made up with sandwiches. At least it wasn't always baloney. And you reminded me of a girl a few years older than me when I was a teen who had a cool Volks Carmen Ghia.

And this is pretty annoying. Probably useful to torture POWs with.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 20th, 2018 at 3:23:14 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Thanks for sharing the childhood road trip memories. To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not saying we ate bologna sandwiches 100% of the time, but that is just how I remember it 40+ years later. Peanut butter and jelly might have been the entree sometimes. We also might have used a metal cooler some of the time. Looking back, we had a big old Coleman ice chest, but it was probably too big for the many Seattle trips, so we used a rinky dink Styrofoam* one.

I always liked the Karmann Ghia. When I was in college, I gave calculus lessons to a very hot high school girl who drove a red one. This was the only way I had of speaking to hot women, I might add -- through math lessons. In it's prime, it was seen by many as a poor man's Porsche, but some people evidently loved them.

* It would seem you have to capitalize Styrofoam, because it is a trade name owned by Dow.
July 20th, 2018 at 4:34:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Thanks for sharing the childhood road trip memories. .

Other kids would talk about taking
long trips and staying in motels and
eating out for every meal. We never
ate out, ever. But there were no
fast food places in the 50's, so eating
out was a big deal. It was a special
occasion thing, people didn't do it
every other day like now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2018 at 4:49:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
But there were no
fast food places in the 50's, so eating
out was a big deal.

I agree. When I was a kid, it was a huge treat to go to McDonald's. I pretty much only went there when another kid would invite me on a birthday party. When I got a bit older, I would ride my bike long distances just to go to McDonald's, when I had the money.

To his credit, my father would take us to Bob's Big Boy once or twice a year, when he was in a good mood. Everyone got the Big Boy combo. We didn't have a choice in the matter, but we probably would have got that anyway.
July 20th, 2018 at 5:33:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
To his credit, my father would take us to Bob's Big Boy once or twice a year, y.

There was a Big Boy downtown
in the 50's, but we never went
there. BB might be the first chain
FF restaurant, they started in
Calif in 1936. I was 13 before
we ever went to a McD's and
that was not with my parents.
My dad was unbelievably cheap,
from coming of age in the Depression.
He didn't do frivolous things
with money.

Holy crap, check out these stats
for BB. Look at Japan. wtf..

Michigan (69 stores)
California (5 stores)
Ohio (2 stores)
North Dakota (1 store)
Japan (279 stores)