and gravitas, and people respected him.
And then they elected him.

Just because you personally don't
like him doesn't mean he's an
'empty suit'. Empty suits don't
get TV shows built around them.
Successful personable alpha males
like Trump do.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2019 at 7:17:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
Empty suits don't
like Trump do.

Lol. Jersey Shore. Rich Housewives. Mob families, etc., Any weirdo who is a circus attraction is usually good enough.

On top of that most of it is faked. That's probably something you've said.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 12th, 2019 at 7:18:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
This is a good opportunity for the democrats to support country over party. If they decide on Biden or some equally awful person, they should be booed off stage.

Good interview with Joe Rogan and Tulsi Gabbard.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 12th, 2019 at 7:29:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
On top of that most of it is faked. .

Trump wasn't faked, they didn't make
up his life. Trump was bigger than life,
he almost had a presidential aura
on that show. What's great is, Trump
will be in the history books forever
as a president who accomplished
things. Who was elected without
ever being in politics. It's an astounding
achievement. And he's killing it.

MAGA!
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 13th, 2019 at 6:12:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

But "making money" and "being famous" aren't laudable in my eyes in and of themselves. It very much matters how you came about it, and what you did with it once acquired. Turning any investment into a real reward is a positive in any light, surely. And he did so, obviously. I just don't marvel at his success like I do a Gates because it was already imparted. I do not get at all your repeated claims of being "self made". Dad gave him forty mil. Good job on not blowing it, even better job at making something of it. But this is very much a case of, as Buzz was wont to say, being born on third and thinking you hit a triple. His "dynasty" wasn't handed to him; he did build what he has. I just find the way he built it to be not all that impressive, what with being handed more many than perhaps all of us together will see in a lifetime. And of course, once you start into how many of them were borderline if not outright fraudulent, his "business acumen" starts to edge into negative territory.

On "inheriting it," compare him to others who inherited a family business and what did they do with it? The Waltons have a family fortune, but none has really stepped out and did their own thing of note. The Fords have nearly crashed the company a number of times. The heirs to Chick-Fil-A are doing well, but they seem an exception. For Trump a more accurate statement would be, "Born on 3rd, got batted in, then came up and hit a home run."

Quote:
And I'll agree he got famous for getting things done. That's where it started, NY real estate, making a name by getting things done. But his mega stardom came by way of reality TV, and he got that precisely by being a Paris Hilton, Kim K type personality. He was in no uncertain terms a game show host, an American Simon Cowell. This isn't a "bad" thing; he didn't kill nobody, no wars were started because of the Apprentice. But again, this kind of fame does not impress me, nor do I think it imparts any sort of value outside of empty calorie entertainment.

He was a mega-star perhaps 20 years before "The Apprentice." After the election I saw a YT video of all of his cameos. There were many. He got TA because he was a mega-star first. TA only worked because we all knew who he was and had some idea of his personality already. But I must say again, why did the show last 10+ years? If people had not been watching it would have ended in no time. Look at how many famous people were "handed" shows. Remember "The Pat Sajak Show?" "Joan Rivers Show?"

Quote:
And once fame and fortune were found, what did he do? Did he cast it aside to serve a la Pat Tillman? Did he go on a world tour on a humanitarian effort a la Bono ? Did he prop up a Bill and Melinda Gates-esque foundation? Seems to me all his fame and power has served was to gain himself more fame and more power. Suppose that's all well and good and as fair as it gets, but again, it's not anything in which I'd be impressed about.

You wanna talk land development, networking, creating a brand, he's your guy. But diplomacy? Security? Healthcare? Dude's out to lunch.

He gave it all up to be POTUS at no pay and serve his country. To get up every morning being attacked from all sides. You can be impressed or not, but that is a noble thing.
The President is a fink.
January 13th, 2019 at 7:17:48 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
The Hip-Hop community aspired to be him

January 13th, 2019 at 8:43:24 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
It really isn't. NBC built a hit prime time
show around Donald Trump's reputation
as a great businessman and a no
nonsense personality. He had authority,
and gravitas, and people respected him.
And then they elected him.

Just because you personally don't
like him doesn't mean he's an
'empty suit'. Empty suits don't
like Trump do.

True, my opinion doesn't mean that. But neither does his success in one area make him a demi god capable of anything. I happen to be physically gifted. I can catch anything at any angle, can balance on anything from rails on skates to the rear wheel of a motorcycle at 150mph. Strategery, I got it all. Any field I step on I'm automatically a 1st round pick, no matter the sport. Knowing that, would you champion me as The Guy to do your vasectomy?

As a person, calling him an empty suit is laughable. But wild success in one area leading one to believe he must be wildly successful in all areas is equally as silly. As one who believes our nation's success has come by such stances as "speak softly and carry a big stick" and things such as Franklin's take on Gadsden, I find Trump to be the antithesis of it all. Diplomacy is important, and as a lifelong CEO, his experience is that of a dictator. For these reasons, in this job I find him to be lacking.

Quote: AZDuffman
On "inheriting it," compare him to others who inherited a family business and what did they do with it? The Waltons have a family fortune, but none has really stepped out and did their own thing of note. The Fords have nearly crashed the company a number of times. The heirs to Chick-Fil-A are doing well, but they seem an exception. For Trump a more accurate statement would be, "Born on 3rd, got batted in, then came up and hit a home run."

Apples and Trump. Yeah, Rob Walton isn't doing anything with his father's riches. We're also not hero worshipping and fan girling over Rob Walton as if it's 1960's Beatlmania. We are over Donald Trump. Why?

Quote: AZD
He was a mega-star perhaps 20 years before "The Apprentice." After the election I saw a YT video of all of his cameos. There were many. He got TA because he was a mega-star first. TA only worked because we all knew who he was and had some idea of his personality already. But I must say again, why did the show last 10+ years? If people had not been watching it would have ended in no time. Look at how many famous people were "handed" shows. Remember "The Pat Sajak Show?" "Joan Rivers Show?"

Perhaps he was. As I've said before, I've been aware of him since like 10yrs old. I recall his face over all the tabloids, I remember all the Ivana drama. With no cable I watch a lot of old stuff, and he sure as shootin' was nabbing cameos way back before I had hair on my body. I do think there's a difference between "Home Alone Cameo" and "The Apprentice", but perhaps "fame v mega stardom" is a pointless argument to have. What is important is why it's important. I happen to think it's not. Bob Barker ran TPIR for 30 years. Oprah's been killing it so long she'll probably be the only face I remember once the CTE takes over. Even Jerry Springer put out some 27yrs of prime TV.

His fame being of import to you is the second most surprising thing I've read today. Sing it with me...

Quote: AZD
He gave it all up to be POTUS at no pay and serve his country. To get up every morning being attacked from all sides. You can be impressed or not, but that is a noble thing.

Dude, are you OK? Seriously, you gotta level with me... is this all some intricate troll? If so, you're doing a good enough job to make me genuinely concerned.

He GAVE IT UP?! WHAT did he give up? Do you know the presidential salary is? It's about $4XX,000. A governor, at least in NY, is about $170,000. Same for senators and congressman. You ever notice how these hundred thousand dollar salaries puts ALL of them into the multi millions of dollars of personal wealth? How you think that happens?

Donald Trump was born into an opulence you and I could never comprehend and spent the entirety of his professional life as a silver spoon, NY bred, upper crust elite. He will earn more on his post presidential pension than you and I will earn combined if we live to be 150, to say nothing of all the money that comes with the fame of presidency, not to mention all the lining of his own pockets that every single elected official in the country engages in. He's become the most powerful man on the planet who can quite literally send a billion dollar robot across the planet to kill folks indiscriminately, will have face to foot lifetime health coverage as well as a personal security team for life, and will be given more money than one man could spend that won't even be noticeable when compared to what he's already got. For that he's had to endure the horrible trauma of... talking heads saying mean things to him on TV, and common folk saying he's orange and has small hands.

I don't get it and it makes my head hurt.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 13th, 2019 at 8:49:24 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
*EXCERPT*Dude, are you OK? Seriously, you gotta level with me... is this all some intricate troll? If so, you're doing a good enough job to make me genuinely concerned.

He GAVE IT UP?! WHAT did he give up? Do you know the presidential salary is? It's about $4XX,000. A governor, at least in NY, is about $170,000. Same for senators and congressman. You ever notice how these hundred thousand dollar salaries puts ALL of them into the multi millions of dollars of personal wealth? How you think that happens?

January 13th, 2019 at 9:13:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
True, my opinion doesn't mean that. But neither does his success in one area make him a demi god capable of anything. I happen to be physically gifted. I can catch anything at any angle, can balance on anything from rails on skates to the rear wheel of a motorcycle at 150mph. Strategery, I got it all. Any field I step on I'm automatically a 1st round pick, no matter the sport. Knowing that, would you champion me as The Guy to do your vasectomy?

As a person, calling him an empty suit is laughable. But wild success in one area leading one to believe he must be wildly successful in all areas is equally as silly. As one who believes our nation's success has come by such stances as "speak softly and carry a big stick" and things such as Franklin's take on Gadsden, I find Trump to be the antithesis of it all. Diplomacy is important, and as a lifelong CEO, his experience is that of a dictator. For these reasons, in this job I find him to be lacking.

It is about being well-rounded. It is about transferable skills. I got into my current line of work (OG Land) when a recruiter told me that they train people who came out of mortgage title but also could get things done there. I got things done there from my years of operations management where I had to. Some people could not get things done, I used to have to tell some of my mortgage process coworkers, "See that plastic thing on your desk with numbers on it? PUT IT TO USE!"

Nobody has the "experience" with everything before they get elected POTUS. Even a diplomat from State Dept has probably not managed any sort of anything important. Its why when selecting a POTUS you just want some broad experience. Trump has probably the most broad experience of any POTUS of our time. People said Hillary had experience, but what she had was that of a high school student who joined a bunch of clubs to put on her college application, never having done much with any of them. Trump is more the kid who worked in his dad's business doing every job. The elite like the Hillary experience, myself I prefer a guy who made it on the streets.

Quote:
Apples and Trump. Yeah, Rob Walton isn't doing anything with his father's riches. We're also not hero worshipping and fan girling over Rob Walton as if it's 1960's Beatlmania. We are over Donald Trump. Why?

It is about personality. Trump has that alpha-male personality. He fills the room. You want to be his friend. The simplest things in his life seem an adventure.

Quote:
Dude, are you OK? Seriously, you gotta level with me... is this all some intricate troll? If so, you're doing a good enough job to make me genuinely concerned.

You are aware he is donating his salary back to the government? He would have worked for free, but that would take a literal act of congress, so smart businessman he is and concerned with the net result he has donated it back to the Treasury, usually quarterly and he has directed it to various causes. FWIW, any US Citizen can make a gift to the Treasury and are free to "direct" it as they wish. In most cases it will get lost in the system, but anyone can do it. Did Obama, who often bragged how rich he was, do this? Not that I saw. Nor did Hillary, who both bragged about being rich as well as claimed poverty.

Yes, most become millionaires working the system after they made the needed connections. Trump actually had money before he arrived, I doubt we will see him making paid speeches or on some kind of tour after he is done in hopefully 2028. If he does, look for him to donate whatever he makes somewhere.
The President is a fink.
January 13th, 2019 at 9:30:50 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Come on AZ. What is that 2028 crack about???? You thinking he gets a THIRD term???!