8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

May 20th, 2020 at 3:59:07 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
I think its sad how identity based the VP selection is becoming.

It is the whole party. The complaints that "it is now down to two old White guys!" Go back to Bill Clinton's wanting a Cabinet that "looks like America." Decades in the making. This is just the most brazen and high level we have seen.
The President is a fink.
May 20th, 2020 at 4:18:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
It is the whole party. The complaints that "it is now down to two old White guys!" Go back to Bill Clinton's wanting a Cabinet that "looks like America." Decades in the making. This is just the most brazen and high level we have seen.

It's not about getting the right
person, it's getting the person
that looks the best in that
position. If you ran a company
like that you'd be bankrupt in
a year.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 20th, 2020 at 4:38:18 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
It's not about getting the right
person, it's getting the person
that looks the best in that
position. If you ran a company
a year.

Gather round everyone, the guy who said the Dems would never pick a white male nominee in 2020 has some thoughts on the VP selection!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 20th, 2020 at 5:12:47 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
If you ran a company
a year.

And if you do that 6 times over, gullible people will think you’re qualified to run the country!
May 21st, 2020 at 4:39:14 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

Palin, much?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 21st, 2020 at 5:07:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Mission146
Palin, much?

Palin was a self-made governor and mayor before. I liked her. I liked that she did not do "politician talk." She was probably more qualified than McCain. People liked her better by a mile.

But, see, this is the one or one of the few times you can accuse the GOP of an "affirmative action hire." The Democrats, go back to the primaries and look at the anti-white, anti-male talk. Skin color and gender is the most important thing in their party.
The President is a fink.
May 21st, 2020 at 5:47:40 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Palin was a self-made governor and mayor before. I liked her. I liked that she did not do "politician talk." She was probably more qualified than McCain. People liked her better by a mile.

But, see, this is the one or one of the few times you can accuse the GOP of an "affirmative action hire." The Democrats, go back to the primaries and look at the anti-white, anti-male talk. Skin color and gender is the most important thing in their party.

In any case, both parties are going to generally do the thing that they think will give the party the best chance to win. John, "The Maverick," McCain was a good dude and seemed to look at things pretty objectively as a Senator. He actually defended Obama against an unfair statement made at one of his (McCain's) town halls.

With that said, McCain pretty clearly selected Palin in order to hopefully attract disenfranchised Clinton supporters who may have been upset that she (Clinton) lost to Obama in the Democratic Primary.

I strongly disagree that Palin was more qualified than McCain to be POTUS. She had no experience in Federal-level politics, for one thing. I will certainly grant that she was a likable enough person in the folksy sense. I imagine (had McCain won and died in office) Palin's Presidency would be competent enough because she'd surround herself with people who had some idea what the hell they were doing. She'd also not be the first POTUS not universally perceived as being terribly intelligent, in fact, they were just coming off of such a POTUS. And, hey, I actually kind of liked W., but mostly in retrospect and comparing him to Trump.

As far as comparing the Democrats to the Republicans in that sense, I tepidly agree with your statement, but kind of not. The reason kind of not is because it makes total sense that your ticket is going to be representative of your electorate (voting base) which consists of more women and African-Americans than does the GOP voting base.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 21st, 2020 at 6:17:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Mission146
In any case, both parties are going to generally do the thing that they think will give the party the best chance to win. John, "The Maverick," McCain was a good dude and seemed to look at things pretty objectively as a Senator. He actually defended Obama against an unfair statement made at one of his (McCain's) town halls.

With that said, McCain pretty clearly selected Palin in order to hopefully attract disenfranchised Clinton supporters who may have been upset that she (Clinton) lost to Obama in the Democratic Primary.

McCain was the Steve Lombardi of politics in that race. I contend he really did not want to win. He sure acted like he did not want to. Palin was the only energy his campaign had. He died a very bitter man.

Quote:
I strongly disagree that Palin was more qualified than McCain to be POTUS. She had no experience in Federal-level politics, for one thing. I will certainly grant that she was a likable enough person in the folksy sense. I imagine (had McCain won and died in office) Palin's Presidency would be competent enough because she'd surround herself with people who had some idea what the hell they were doing. She'd also not be the first POTUS not universally perceived as being terribly intelligent, in fact, they were just coming off of such a POTUS. And, hey, I actually kind of liked W., but mostly in retrospect and comparing him to Trump.

I will almost always prefer a governor to a Senator for POTUS. It is not the federal level that matters but the administrative and executive experience.

Quote:
As far as comparing the Democrats to the Republicans in that sense, I tepidly agree with your statement, but kind of not. The reason kind of not is because it makes total sense that your ticket is going to be representative of your electorate (voting base) which consists of more women and African-Americans than does the GOP voting base.

That it may be, but it is also a "check the box" thing on the Democrat side. Just look at their reaction to when a male replaces a woman for example. Almost as if they think that once a woman has the job it must always be a woman in that slot.
The President is a fink.
May 21st, 2020 at 9:36:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Tucker had a run down of the
women likely to get
the Dem nod. Not a single one
was appealing in the least.
Paired with Dementia Joe,
what a joke.

It's being reported that nobody
has seen Biden in person in weeks
and weeks. Not even the top
people in his campaign. He's
in deeper hiding than Hillary was
in 16.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 21st, 2020 at 11:18:03 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

It's being reported that nobody
has seen Biden in person in weeks
and weeks. Not even the top
people in his campaign. He's
in deeper hiding than Hillary was
in 16.

Why not? You're Joe Biden. You're not the world's best speaker. Trump is an idiot. Do nothing and let Trump make his own position against you worse.