8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

May 21st, 2020 at 3:22:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
Errr... aside from the hairline, I’d say he was pretty attractive.

LOL! Good one..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 21st, 2020 at 3:48:06 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: ams288
Errr... aside from the hairline, I’d say he was pretty attractive.

Compared to Trump from the 70s?

1. Who cares, irrelevant to judge a candidate based on physical appearance.

2. Lets be honest, neither are or ever were that attractive (not to the level of JFK or Reagan)..... I would argue Biden is in slightly better physical shape than President Trump, and could probably beat him in a push up contest (and an IQ contest), but who cares, the point is neither is or ever was a grand looker, but that is the least relevant thing about both of them....
May 21st, 2020 at 4:50:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Compared to Trump from the 70s?

1. Who cares, irrelevant to judge a candidate based on physical appearance.

But it is done all the time. Go back to JFK and how Nixon looked on TV with no makeup. I still remember the crazy pic on Drudge in 2008 with Hillary's aids holding up about 5 different pantsuits identical except for color to get the right look. Will we ever have a POTUS with a beard again? How about a POTUS who is overweight like Taft or even TR? Looks do and will keep mattering.
The President is a fink.
May 21st, 2020 at 4:59:39 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: AZDuffman
But it is done all the time. Go back to JFK and how Nixon looked on TV with no makeup. I still remember the crazy pic on Drudge in 2008 with Hillary's aids holding up about 5 different pantsuits identical except for color to get the right look. Will we ever have a POTUS with a beard again? How about a POTUS who is overweight like Taft or even TR? Looks do and will keep mattering.

Sadly since TV, like you say with the first televised debates, people notice more.

And, it is no secret, we (humans) naturally trust people who are attractive more.

And, now with social media culture with endless photos its hard not to notice.

But, I would never vote or not vote for somebody with any regard to physcial appearance, I am 100% policy and character (I would argue even experience is not the most relevant).
May 21st, 2020 at 5:07:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler

But, I would never vote or not vote for somebody with any regard to physcial appearance, I am 100% policy and character (I would argue even experience is not the most relevant).

You say you would not, but chances are you would take the better looking person more seriously. You might not even notice you were doing so.
The President is a fink.
May 21st, 2020 at 5:10:04 PM permalink
Gandler
https://youtu.be/3KC6sTITu6E

The Libertarian Party debate is currently streaming on YouTube hosted by John Stossel.

(I know its not directly related to the democratic nominee, but it can influence the election).
May 21st, 2020 at 5:14:00 PM permalink
Gandler
You say you would not, but chances are you would take the better looking person more seriously. You might not even notice you were doing so.

I agree, I know we all judge even if we try not to.

Thats why I like reading about people without knowing what they look like.

It's one of the interesting thing about fiction (or even nonfiction with obscure figures who you don't know what they look like). When we read we put an avatar on a character based on their actions and dialogue. When we later see the pictures or videos of a character (or even a movie or TV adoption of the book) we initially feel confused because it does reflect what we had in our mind.

Any major book series from James Bond to Lord of the Rings shows this behavior.
May 21st, 2020 at 7:13:33 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I agree, it is probably subconscious for most people.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 22nd, 2020 at 12:06:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You say you would not, but chances are you would take the better looking person more seriously.
You might not even notice you were doing so.

Look at Barry Obama. What are the things you heard
about him constantly on the Left. He's so handsome,
he's so cool. I don't remember anybody ever saying
he's so smart. Obama was the cool half white half
black president. When I was growing up there was
a common accepted word for guys like him. It's
not used anymore.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 22nd, 2020 at 3:07:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Look at Barry Obama. What are the things you heard
about him constantly on the Left. He's so handsome,
he's so cool. I don't remember anybody ever saying
he's so smart. Obama was the cool half white half
black president. When I was growing up there was
a common accepted word for guys like him. It's
not used anymore.

It is still used, but it is mainly just use by Blacks when nobody else is around. Worked once with a woman who was near shaking about working an NAACP luncheon because they used it at her the year before.
The President is a fink.