1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 6th, 2020 at 8:50:08 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
The left is taking this virus a lot more serious then the right
Did you hear Trump on Hannity?

"Well, I think the 3.4 percent is really a false number. Now, and this is just my hunch, and — but based on a lot of conversations with a lot of people that do this. Because a lot people will have this and it's very mild. They'll get better very rapidly. They don't even see a doctor. They don't even call a doctor,
You never hear about those people. So you can't put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and — or virus. So you just can't do that,So if, you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better, just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work but they get better."

The stupidity of Trump regarding this virus is astounding.

"Though the virus can be deadly, the vast majority of those infected so far have only mild symptoms and make full recoveries."

"The true fatality rate could be even lower, given that many mild or asymptomatic cases may not have been reported to the authorities."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/world/asia/coronavirus-treament-recovery.html

There are likely many, many cases of this virus infecting people everywhere it has been found without them being known to have had it. Do you go to the doctor every time you sneeze? Most people don't.

I think it is being treated as serious without producing an unproductive and unnecessary panic by most people.

Again, who gains by panic?
March 6th, 2020 at 8:54:33 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: RonC
Would it also be irresponsible for Biden and Bernie to stop having events?

Or just Trump?

I thought no Dem could muster up the crowds that Donny can? If I was to believe EB, Biden can’t even fill a high school gym...

But yes, it would also be irresponsible for them to hold rallies too. However, their egos can withstand it. Donny’s? Who knows...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 6th, 2020 at 10:06:55 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
I thought no Dem could muster up the crowds that Donny can? If I was to believe EB, Biden can’t even fill a high school gym....

Bernie has drawn large crowds; Biden's have been smaller overall. His should pick up as he becomes the nominee.

I think Trump still draws more...

Quote: ams288
But yes, it would also be irresponsible for them to hold rallies too. However, their egos can withstand it. Donny’s? Who knows...

I don't think anyone will do so unless things get worse.
March 6th, 2020 at 10:08:16 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
back to vaccines

Scott Adams said yesterday he doesn't think we will get a vaccine for Covid-19

The outfit "Moderna" is one of the outfits that holds out hope for a quick vaccine against the current viral threat, which will still take months if it succeeds. The name Moderna was chosen to highlight the last 3 letters, RNA. The vaccine will work against mRNA -messenger RNA - a very high tech approach compared to the old ways viral vaccines were made, which I made some posts about upthread. 

Though I have some biology in my background, the advances in DNA science have been rolling along and the language etc. can lose me pretty quick. But it appears mRNA "translates" DNA code and "takes it" to the part of the cell that needs to know what to make. Thus "messenger" describes it pretty well. Viruses exploit this process, and evidently do so in various ways depending on the type. 

If I have this right, a vaccine that focuses on mRNA causes the immune system to attack the specific mRNA that the virus brings and/or generates and needs in order to make the cell produce copies of itself. 

The problem I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that to make a vaccine like this has never been done before. If we do get a vaccine it may be from the basically crude methods of yesteryear - or should I say today, as it's what we have for the flu virus and all the others as well.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 6th, 2020 at 10:25:39 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: terapined
More concerned about hate

In dem controlled Bizarro World, it's a form of entertainment.
March 6th, 2020 at 10:33:15 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I've had the flu and haven't been out
of the house since mid Feb. I went
to Walmart yesterday fully expecting
dead bodies in face masks along
the road. Nope. In the store saw
not one mask or anybody even
coughing. Cashier said she has yet
to see one mask. Shelves were fully
stocked and store was not busy at
all.

Media flim flams us yet again..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 6th, 2020 at 10:43:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
I went
to Walmart yesterday fully expecting
dead bodies in face masks along
the road. Nope.

They load all the bodies up early in the morning and cart them away.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 6th, 2020 at 11:15:44 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Tanko
You might want to avoid those Trump rallies:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/saudi-arabia-halts-travel-mecca-medina-coronavirus-200227054424029.html
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 6th, 2020 at 1:09:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
They load all the bodies up early in the morning and cart them away.

Bring out your dead. Bring out your dead. Bring out your dead.
The President is a fink.
March 6th, 2020 at 1:28:54 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I get the impression that our righties, who only ingest right wing media, are massively underestimating what a huge deal this could be within just a few weeks.

It is clear the administration is limiting the amount of testing being done because the want to keep the number of confirmed cases to a minimum. That is just an incredibly stupid move and it’s going to come back and bite them in the butt.

Can’t wait to see the results of those “Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?” polls a couple months from now...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman