No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 24th, 2020 at 7:57:26 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
Governor Cuomo says 7.8 million-15.6 million New Yorkers will be infected.

Expert says one person could end up infecting 59,000 in a snowball effect.

This virus is insidious
Its been reported that this virus still active in infected cruise ship cabins up to 2 weeks
Health care workers are resigned to the fact that they will get it
WE MUST FLATTEN THE CURVE
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 24th, 2020 at 8:21:53 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AcesAndEights
I disagree, it's not a red herring. It is NECESSARY and VITAL to beat this thing without dealing a death blow to the economy.

I truly don't understand the theory behind increased testing and how it will stop the spread of the virus. Please elaborate on how the testing is going to accomplish what you believe it will.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 24th, 2020 at 8:32:08 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: kenarman
I truly don't understand the theory behind increased testing and how it will stop the spread of the virus. Please elaborate on how the testing is going to accomplish what you believe it will.

I truly don't understand how you don't get it.

With widely available testing, we will know WHO HAS THE VIRUS before they become symptomatic. Those people, along with the high risk population, can self-isolate instead of EVERYONE self-isolating. Most everyone else can return to business at usual. Transmissions go way down, and the economy begins to recover.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
March 24th, 2020 at 8:33:22 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
This is exactly what South Korea did, and they have greatly curbed transmission without drastic lockdowns.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
March 24th, 2020 at 8:36:10 AM permalink
terapined

Look at South Korea
increased testing is working there
They are flattening the curve
They know who has it and track those people
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 24th, 2020 at 8:56:18 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
So, basketball in China now, yes, Olympics in Japan this summer, no.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 24th, 2020 at 9:00:54 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: Dalex64
So, basketball in China now, yes, Olympics in Japan this summer, no.

Who travels to see Chinese Basketball??
The whole planet travels to see the Olympics
March 24th, 2020 at 9:21:09 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 24th, 2020 at 10:09:51 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AcesAndEights
If you are healthy and able, consider donating blood. I scheduled my appointment for tomorrow.
Thanks. I just received my first transfusion procedure, two more anticipated. I was supposed to get it last night but I decided to risk death rather than endure further pokes with those big needles into every vein in my arms.
March 24th, 2020 at 10:18:50 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

here are a few examples how increased testing will help.

If you are a health care worker and a feeling just a little sick, in pre-coronavirus times you would just go to work. Now, without testing, you may self quarantine for 14 days. The present cadre of health care workers need everyone now even more than in pre-coronavirus times.

If you are feeling a little sick you still may go to the supermarket. If you could be easily tested and find out you are positive one would hope you would quarantine.

If you know you are positive perhaps you would live alone if not very sick, and have your family live elsewhere.

many other similar ideas.