No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 24th, 2020 at 10:24:32 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Thanks. I just received my first transfusion procedure, two more anticipated.

What are you in the hospital for
that requires transfusions.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 24th, 2020 at 11:34:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Evenbob
What are you in the hospital for that requires transfusions.
It is the only place to get hospital food.

Seriously, a combination of my diet, particularly those iron-free, high fiber lentils, and the Plavix my quacks put me on forced me to get to the ER last Friday. Looks like next Sunday is earliest release date but last night was a strong potential for "release" after I refused the transfusion when they couldn't find any veins that would hold. I think I made it thru the night only because I was already very cold and didn't sleep well. 6.2 haemeglobin!
March 24th, 2020 at 11:39:44 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Just wondering if SOOPOO knows the average number of days Covid19 patients who recover stayed on a ventilator if they went on one. TV was also showing some people with tracheotomies and was wondering how common that would be.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 24th, 2020 at 11:41:24 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 24th, 2020 at 11:43:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
It is the only place to get hospital food.

Seriously, a combination of my diet, particularly those iron-free, high fiber lentils,

You ate too many lentils and
for that you get transfusions?
I don't get it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 24th, 2020 at 12:20:37 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO

Let me say that again. There has not been a day with more coronavirus deaths than flu deaths in the US.
(My guess is that changes today)

Why do you keep bringing the flu up
Might as well talk about the price of tea in China
Might as well use an apple to describe an orange

This virus is insidious
The death rate is way higher then the flu
Health care workers are not bothered by the flu. They are making sure their Wills are up to date due to this virus
The flu will not overwhelm our healthcare system, this virus will just as it is doing in Italy right now
The way this thing spreads is nothing like the flu. It spreads like a viral video
If it overwhelms our healthcare system and it looks like that is happening in NY, people with critical conditions outside of the virus will also die
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 24th, 2020 at 12:24:06 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: SOOPOO
here are a few examples how increased testing will help.

If you are a health care worker and a feeling just a little sick, in pre-coronavirus times you would just go to work. Now, without testing, you may self quarantine for 14 days. The present cadre of health care workers need everyone now even more than in pre-coronavirus times.

If you are feeling a little sick you still may go to the supermarket. If you could be easily tested and find out you are positive one would hope you would quarantine.

If you know you are positive perhaps you would live alone if not very sick, and have your family live elsewhere.

many other similar ideas.

Do you really expect that everyone will be able to get tested on demand every time they have an anxiety attack? Once a month for a year for the US population is 3 billion tests. My wife is on immune depressants and had a terrible cough but no fever. Our provincial on-line evaluation assessment said stay home but no test required, her doctor said the same thing. Maybe the US is trying to get to on demand testing but I doubt it. As I said in an earlier post just because I test negative today doesn't mean I don't get it tomorrow and spread it among my family tomorrow and the next week or two.

I agree that if testing picks you up then it allows you to totally isolate but I don't think it will allow the world from eliminate the virus from circulating among the population. Health care workers should probably be tested on daily basis and maybe other select groups.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 24th, 2020 at 12:24:21 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Evenbob
You ate too many lentils and for that you get transfusions?

That's pretty much it. Asparagus played a role, too.

The main complication is that someone in the Poorhouse noticed my absence and the accumulation of Amazon deliveries outside the door and called the police to make forcible entry for a welfare check.
March 24th, 2020 at 12:24:54 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
Just wondering if SOOPOO knows the average number of days Covid19 patients who recover stayed on a ventilator if they went on one. TV was also showing some people with tracheotomies and was wondering how common that would be.

Wouldn't know that average. But if someone has been on a ventilator a week and there is no realistic end date for the need for mechanical ventilation, then a tracheostomy makes life easier for both the patient and the caregivers. Much easier to suction the secretions that are part of the problem. Also the endotracheal tube itself can cause sores after weeks in place. And it is extremely uncomfortable for the intubated patient. For those that eventually recover, the tracheostomy will close over by itself in most cases.
March 24th, 2020 at 12:30:04 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
Why do you keep bringing the flu up
Might as well talk about the price of tea in China
Might as well use an apple to describe an orange

This virus is insidious
The death rate is way higher then the flu
Health care workers are not bothered by the flu. They are making sure their Wills are up to date due to this virus
The flu will not overwhelm our healthcare system, this virus will just as it is doing in Italy right now
The way this thing spreads is nothing like the flu. It spreads like a viral video
If it overwhelms our healthcare system and it looks like that is happening in NY, people with critical conditions outside of the virus will also die

If this is the case, how come the spread of the virus has been slowed/stopped ANYWHERE that is not on an absolute/total lock down?

China is going back to work.

South Korea seems to have slowed the rate of infection.

South Korea tested a lot but the negative test means diddly if I take it today and walk over and have contact with someone no one knows is infected and that contact gets it started in my system later today...now I am a spreader for a while before testing even finds it.

If their results are correctly reported, there is more to the slowing/stoppage of the virus than just testing, testing, testing...and I say that without denying that South Korea has been doing a great job with their program.