RV life with Terapined

June 4th, 2022 at 5:48:21 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined
I went to the horse auction here in Shipshewana. Sign out front said no photos. Probably to make the Amish comfortable. The regular auction arena was being painted so it was held in a massive barn where they store the horses. It's huge, probably could hold a thousand. Only about a 100 at this auction. The massive barn had a wooden upper level walkway throughout the entire place so you can get a great view of the livestock. A real mixture of Amish, blue collar with baseball caps and cowboys. Many could be Mennonite but harder to spot them since no rules on clothes. I love how the small Amish boys are dressed just like their Dads. Straight trousers, nice plain color shirt, suspenders and nice hat. The kids are so sharp looking , appropriately dressed for Church rather then a barn. A lot of horses are former harness racers. Perfect to pull a buggy. Unlike a car, they cant hurt anybody in an accident. They tend to stay home because everything farther in a buggy. I was surprised at the miniature horses for sale. Apparently very popular among the Amish. Training wheels for the kids. They start early learning how to take care of a horse and ride it. Other horses for sale were the big huge sturdy ones they use on the farm fields to pull equipment in teams. Quite a few no sales as the bids did not meet the reserve. Didn't stay long, allergies and asthma acted up. Guess I'm not a barn person.

That brought back memories of going to livestock shows when I lived in Indiana. I think they were part of the annual state fair as we weren't doing any farm or ranch business.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 4th, 2022 at 6:51:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Haven't kept up with all this young woman's travel videos, but I saw that she is coming into the US from Mexico. She's on a road trip to Alaska. Her next video after this is Texas, Route66.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBX5Wu6-E-c
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 5th, 2022 at 10:18:22 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Buggy parking lot near where I am camped

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 5th, 2022 at 10:27:36 AM permalink
terapined
My visit to American Pickers
A lot of stuff on display from Mike's personal collection and not for sale such as this motorcycle

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 5th, 2022 at 10:50:11 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Who collects and disposes of all the road apples in Amish land?

The Amish?

The "English?"

Nobody?
June 5th, 2022 at 11:10:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: missedhervee
Who collects and disposes of all the road apples in Amish land?

The Amish?

The "English?"

Nobody?

Road worms?
June 5th, 2022 at 11:12:21 AM permalink
rxwine
So, the Amish use handmade tools? But do they make innovations? Have they adopted the spork?

Those buggies have a very uniform design.
June 5th, 2022 at 1:02:27 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
So, the Amish use handmade tools? But do they make innovations? Have they adopted the spork?

I am a huge proponent of the Spork. I probably use mine 2 or three times a week. Even the wife is coming around and now regularly uses a spork.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 5th, 2022 at 3:28:34 PM permalink
terapined
I visited Chicago a couple weeks ago. Instead of downtown, checked out the Pilsen neighborhood, Hispanic with a lot of street art. I was not disappointed
June 7th, 2022 at 9:24:25 AM permalink
terapined
Thank goodness for tire pressure monitoring system
Was taking a long drive
Only 15 min in
Got a warning low tire pressure right front
I find a safe place to stop
I see a screw in the tire
I start to unscrew it out and I hear air
Ugh
Screw it back in, no air coming out
I always carry a tire inflator
It was at 27 psi, bumped it up to 37psi
Google closest tire place
Drove there monitoring tire pressure on my dashboard
Stayed steady not losing air
Who knows how long I've had that screw there
Would have sucked if I discovered it while towing
Hopefully the tire can be repaired
Waiting at the tire shop