RV life with Terapined

Page 81 of 82« First<7879808182>
May 13th, 2022 at 10:37:51 AM permalink
missedhervee
Member since: Apr 23, 2021
Threads: 53
Posts: 2093
Quote: DRich
Nothing is a waste of money. We all just prioritize differently.


We should all prioritize "value," i.e. "bang for your buck."

Over time I taught myself how to service and repair my vehicles; this has allowed me to drive reliable vehicles for many years without replacing them with new.

Men in particular would benefit from learning how to service and repair their own vehicles: it is sort of fun, a challenge of both mind and body, and it allows substantial cost savings.

True, you give up that new car smell and a new car warranty.

Not for everyone, obviously.
May 13th, 2022 at 10:45:17 AM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 39
Posts: 3494
Quote: missedhervee


True, you give up that new car smell and a new car warranty but what cost personal satisfaction?

Not for everyone, obviously.


I personally get almost zero satisfaction out of doing things myself. I pay to have lawn service (I haven't mowed a lawn in over 30 years), pool service, pooper scooper service, a cleaning lady, and probably much more. If I don't enjoy doing it and I can afford to have someone else do it, that is what I do. I need my free time to lay on the beach, watch sports, and watch re-runs of Hogan's Heroes.
We are all going to die, why procrastinate?
May 13th, 2022 at 11:01:20 AM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 156
Posts: 14475
Drich moved all the way to South Florida just to stay warm while watching sports on TV

: )
Pro-lifer eats meatball with entire human inside without noticing. "Yum Yum", he says.
May 13th, 2022 at 11:16:05 AM permalink
missedhervee
Member since: Apr 23, 2021
Threads: 53
Posts: 2093
Quote: DRich
I personally get almost zero satisfaction out of doing things myself. I pay to have lawn service (I haven't mowed a lawn in over 30 years), pool service, pooper scooper service, a cleaning lady, and probably much more. If I don't enjoy doing it and I can afford to have someone else do it, that is what I do.


There is an added benefit to DIY car repair and lawn mowing: you get decent exercise.

I know, I know: but if we need exercise anyway to try and stay healthy why not incorporate it into necessary chores?
May 13th, 2022 at 12:37:16 PM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 25
Posts: 6112
Quote: DRich
I personally get almost zero satisfaction out of doing things myself. I pay to have lawn service (I haven't mowed a lawn in over 30 years), pool service, pooper scooper service,....
I didn't know they had such things? That's one of the few things holding me back from having another dog. We were on the patio last night, low 80's, it was nice, our guest was using the pool. I noticed there were a lot of those fast young flies zipping around our table, landing near and on us. That let's me know the neighbor needs to shovel is dog poop. I think that is where the flies hatch locally is in my neighbors back yard dog dump?

Do you also have a doggy door, so it can let itself in and out?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 13th, 2022 at 12:42:56 PM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 54
Posts: 9804
Quote: missedhervee
We should all prioritize "value," i.e. "bang for your buck."

Over time I taught myself how to service and repair my vehicles; this has allowed me to drive reliable vehicles for many years without replacing them with new.

Men in particular would benefit from learning how to service and repair their own vehicles: it is sort of fun, a challenge of both mind and body, and it allows substantial cost savings.

True, you give up that new car smell and a new car warranty.

Not for everyone, obviously.

Keep it up Drich
This is great for guys like me thar can buy a used vehicle only a few years old in tip top shape and last another 200k.
I love my used F150
I can't believe somebody gave this Truck up
All I've done is a ton of oil changes, new tires, new battery, new wind shield wipers, new coolant, new transmission fluid. That's it. Of course in a way I'm like Drich in that I never work on my car. I replace the air filter and wipers myself and that's it. Simpleton stuff.
Never ever broke down
Runs great and I'm hard on it because I tow but well within the towing tolerance.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 14th, 2022 at 7:27:03 AM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 39
Posts: 3494
Quote: petroglyph


Do you also have a doggy door, so it can let itself in and out?


Absolutely. I don't walk dogs and I don't want to stand up to let them out of the house. I have two electronic dog doors. The dogs have a microchip on their collars and as they approach the dog door it automatically opens for them (they are lazy too, pushing that flap open would be too much effort). One of the dog doors goes from the sliding glass door onto the enclosed lanai. The other dog door goes from the lanai to the backyard which is fenced in.
We are all going to die, why procrastinate?
May 14th, 2022 at 7:35:09 AM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 156
Posts: 14475
Quote: DRich
Absolutely. I don't walk dogs and I don't want to stand up to let them out of the house.


I'm surprised you don't have one for yourself. Do your dogs spend much time outside?
Pro-lifer eats meatball with entire human inside without noticing. "Yum Yum", he says.
May 14th, 2022 at 8:28:59 AM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 39
Posts: 3494
Quote: rxwine
I'm surprised you don't have one for yourself. Do your dogs spend much time outside?


No, the dogs are rarely out for more than 5 minutes at a time. They do love to chase the squirrels, rabbits, and birds.

Sorry Ed, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. What direction do you think you are heading next?
We are all going to die, why procrastinate?
May 14th, 2022 at 10:33:29 AM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 25
Posts: 6112
wrong thread
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 81 of 82« First<7879808182>