Republican Nominee 2024

Page 13 of 16« First<10111213141516>
May 24th, 2022 at 7:15:10 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'm planning to switch parties so I can vote in the GOP primary in 2024. I would proudly cast a vote for Paul Ryan in the primary. I'd probably support him in the general election too.

If Ryan doesn't run, whoever doesn't beg for Trump's endorsement will get my respect and vote.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 24th, 2022 at 9:55:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I'm planning to switch parties so I can vote in the GOP primary in 2024. I would proudly cast a vote for Paul Ryan in the primary. I'd probably support him in the general election too.

If Ryan doesn't run, whoever doesn't beg for Trump's endorsement will get my respect and vote.

https://ballotpedia.org/Presidential_candidates,_2024

Usually Ballotpedia is pretty thorough, but Paul Ryan is not on their list.

Donald Trump, 45th president of the United States
Donald Trump Jr., businessman and political adviser
Ivanka Trump, businesswoman and political adviser
Mike Pence, former vice president of the United States
Mike Pompeo, former secretary of state
Nikki Haley, former ambassador to the United Nations

Chris Christie, former governor of New Jersey
Greg Abbott, governor of Texas
Ron DeSantis, governor of Florida
Doug Ducey, governor of Arizona
Mike DeWine, governor of Ohio
Larry Hogan, governor of Maryland
Asa Hutchinson, governor of Arkansas
Kristi Noem, governor of South Dakota
Chris Sununu, governor of New Hampshire
Glenn Youngkin, governor of Virginia

Bob Corker, former senator from Tennessee
Mitt Romney, U.S. senator from Utah
Marco Rubio, U.S. senator from Florida
Ted Cruz, U.S. senator from Texas
Tom Cotton, U.S. senator from Arkansas
Joni Ernst, U.S. senator from Iowa
Josh Hawley, U.S. senator from Missouri
Mike Lee, U.S. senator from Utah
Ben Sasse, U.S. senator from Nebraska
Rick Scott, U.S. senator from Florida
Tim Scott, U.S. senator from South Carolina

Daniel Crenshaw, U.S. representative from Texas
Liz Cheney, U.S. representative from Wyoming
Adam Kinzinger, U.S. representative from Illinois
Elise Stefanik, U.S. representative from New York

Tucker Carlson, Fox News anchor
Candace Owens, conservative activist
May 25th, 2022 at 2:46:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I just changed my party affiliation to Republican to have more of an impact on the the Nevada primary. The request I believe is processed almost immediately. The races for governor, senator, and the House 3rd district are all held by Democrats seeking reelection and will probably easily win. As I wrote before, I'd like to have a say in voting against any Trump loyalists.

It feels like putting on an old coat being a Republican again. I haven't registered that way since 2001, I believe.

Update: The change of party was super easy to do online and was confirmed via Email in about five minutes. I think I will jump back and forth as long as I live here, according to which way my vote in the primaries will have more impact.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 25th, 2022 at 3:03:12 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I just changed my party affiliation to Republican to have more of an impact on the the Nevada primary. The request I believe is processed almost immediately. The races for governor, senator, and the House 3rd district are all held by Democrats seeking reelection and will probably easily win. As I wrote before, I'd like to have a say in voting against any Trump loyalists.

It feels like putting on an old coat being a Republican again. I haven't registered that way since 2001, I believe.

Update: The change of party was super easy to do online and was confirmed via Email in about five minutes. I think I will jump back and forth as long as I live here, according to which way my vote in the primaries will have more impact.

There was a sizable chunk of Democrats who switched affiliation in the GA primary yesterday to support Brad Raffensperger to stick it to Donny.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 25th, 2022 at 3:34:14 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Too bad there aren't more politically active Libertarians.
May 25th, 2022 at 3:51:51 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
On the flipside
Candidates like Oz and Herschel Walker are easier to beat in the general
At least I hope so
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 25th, 2022 at 4:25:22 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: ams288

There was a sizable chunk of Democrats who switched affiliation in the GA primary yesterday to support Brad Raffensperger to stick it to Donny.

I am now registered Republican. Big fan of Raffensperger (think he is a great SOS, I also think Kemp was a great SOS), and Kemp (and would much rather them stick around than any Trump lackey). These are prime examples of normal Republicans, hardworking, honest, relatively reasonable, backwards on social issues (par for the course, especially in the south, and for SOS not really an issue that matters), but they will not be selling out to Russia. I also tend to like engineers.

I even voted for Kemp over Abrams in the last general (which I feel no guilt about).

But, I agree right now GOP primaries are more interesting (and critical). Trump all over the country is trying to get loyalists nominated. And, I would choose a sane Republican any day over a Trump endorsee (I may even take them over some Democrats). Of course it will still be a net benefit if Federally Democrats can find a way to maintain a majority.
May 25th, 2022 at 6:20:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
Quote: ams288

I am now registered Republican. Big fan of Raffensperger (think he is a great SOS, I also think Kemp was a great SOS), and Kemp (and would much rather them stick around than any Trump lackey). These are prime examples of normal Republicans, hardworking, honest, relatively reasonable, backwards on social issues (par for the course, especially in the south, and for SOS not really an issue that matters), but they will not be selling out to Russia. I also tend to like engineers.

I even voted for Kemp over Abrams in the last general (which I feel no guilt about).

But, I agree right now GOP primaries are more interesting (and critical). Trump all over the country is trying to get loyalists nominated. And, I would choose a sane Republican any day over a Trump endorsee (I may even take them over some Democrats). Of course it will still be a net benefit if Federally Democrats can find a way to maintain a majority.

If Trump keeps saying things like he almost rather see Stacey Abrams win than Brian Kemp, republicans won't be thanking him if he splits their votes in November. But he's such a sad selfish clown.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 26th, 2022 at 10:06:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I think in an earlier era (when the Wizard was a toddler) it was either more popular to change parties, or people simply ignored the party that they were voting in their election.

For Nixon's second election he earned nearly 50% more votes than he got in 1972. Nixon got 13% more votes than combined Nixon and Wallace in 1968.

While most incumbents improved their percentage, no on has jumped 17% like Nixon from 1968 to 1972. Reagan only went up 8% from 1980 to 1984. Obama dropped 1.8%.

43.4% - 42.7% - 13.5% Nixon vs Humphrey vs Wallace in 1968
60.7% - 37.5% Nixon vs McGovern in 1972
50.1% - 48.0% Carter vs Geral Ford in 1976
50.7% - 41.0% - 6.6% Reagan vs Carter vs Anderson in 1980
58.8% - 40.6% Reagan vs Mondale in 1984

43.0% - 37.4% - 18.9% Clinton vs G.H.W. Buish vs Perot in 1992
49.2% - 40.7% - 8.4% Clinton vs Bob Dole vs Perot in 1996
47.9% - 48.4% GW Bush vs Al Gore in 2000
50.7% - 48.3% GW Bush vs J. Kerry in 2004
52.9% - 45.7% Obama vs McCain in 2008
51.1% - 47.2% Obama vs Romney in 2012
May 27th, 2022 at 3:50:35 PM permalink