Black Lives Matter

Page 5 of 7« First<234567>
January 29th, 2023 at 8:18:15 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Gandler
I mean to be fair she fired them almost instantly (this is very rare), and helped facilitate the charges. And, released the body cam footage within weeks. And, disbanded the unit they were a part of for review. And, has been fully transparent with the process (from what I can see).
Unless I am missing something, I do not see what you are saying she did wrong?

Many police chiefs get criticized covering/excusing, stalling on releasing cam footage for years (and finding reasons to redact it), not making public comments, and not firing the cops (none of which she did, in fact the complete opposite).

I mean she handled this tragic situation as perfectly as you can from a PR/leadership standpoint in my view, I don't know what more should be expected of her?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/28/us/tyre-nichols-protests-saturday/index.html

Nothing. I agree with you. I’m just saying if it was an old white guy saying and doing EXACTLY what she has been doing he’d be getting calls to resign, blame for the actions of his officers, blame for having such a unit, etc…. I’m saying her immunity to such criticism is BASED on her race and partially gender. Do you disagree?
January 29th, 2023 at 8:18:15 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
My understanding is race has nothing to do with death.

Death is associated with not valuing life enough.

If life became the highest priority through education, then they'd (police) let runners from crime run.

It's not like they will permanently get away.

Where can they get work?

Where can they get a bank account?

Just those things are plenty punishment and force a life of pain and poverty.

And eventually the person will be captured and caged like an animal to be used for slave labor by institutions (we the people).

However, if another life had to be protected by taking one life, that is different.

For example, to take a life of a fetus to preserve the mother's life.

I've made some recent posts showing the logic of us not owning our temporarily assigned human spirit (life).

The solution therefore, is through education to show the value of life IMO.
January 29th, 2023 at 8:28:46 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
Nothing. I agree with you. I’m just saying if it was an old white guy saying and doing EXACTLY what she has been doing he’d be getting calls to resign, blame for the actions of his officers, blame for having such a unit, etc…. I’m saying her immunity to such criticism is BASED on her race and partially gender. Do you disagree?

It may play a factor in coverage from certain outlets, but I have seen a lot of people bash corrupt police chiefs of all races (though often male), and praise reformers of all races.

Is the media being more favorable and praising of her because she is a black female than they otherwise would be? I think it's possible, but I think her preforming the right actions in the correct timeline is helping her more.

What I do know for sure if the five cops had been white, things would be very different in the media.... (Even if race was not their factor in attacking him, it would just be the optics of five cops in the south beating a black man to death).
January 29th, 2023 at 8:48:40 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I dont blame former police chief Medaria Arradondo for George Floyds death
Has anybody??????????????????
do you ????????
why
Regular cops know who the bad cops are and they dont do jack about it and these so called good cops have direct knowledge
Everybody knows that

This victim seemed like a cool dude. Father with a good job with Fedex. Doesnt do drugs. Skateboarder that loves photography. He was out that night taking pictures of the sunset. His response to the escalating aggressive cops was that he was scared for his life
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 29th, 2023 at 3:55:57 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
I dont blame former police chief Medaria Arradondo for Eric Floyds death
Has anybody??????????????????
do you ????????
why
Regular cops know who the bad cops are and they dont do jack about it and these so called good cops have direct knowledge
Everybody knows that

This victim seemed like a cool dude. Father with a good job with Fedex. Doesnt do drugs. Skateboarder that loves photography. He was out that night taking pictures of the sunset. His response to the escalating aggressive cops was that he was scared for his life

Agree with you too. But white, black, or green, it NEVER goes well for you to try and run from five angry cops. I’m never the expert on exactly which charge to convict the perpetrators of, but seems like they will be going down for murder two. Not a great life for 5 ex cops.

I’ve watched the police chief lady. She is doing as good a job as possible post murder as she can. The issue is how were FIVE guys willing to kill someone, really doing nothing criminal, chosen for this ‘elite’ squad?
January 30th, 2023 at 1:30:56 PM permalink
terapined
The issue is how were FIVE guys willing to kill someone, really doing nothing criminal, chosen for this ‘elite’ squad?

Elite
I dont think so
No idea where that comes from
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 30th, 2023 at 2:25:16 PM permalink
terapined
Interesting
Its been reported that a white police officer stopped the car, pulled him out of the car and tazed him 1st
January 30th, 2023 at 2:40:22 PM permalink
terapined
Agree with you too. But white, black, or green, it NEVER goes well for you to try and run from five angry cops. I’m never the expert on exactly which charge to convict the perpetrators of, but seems like they will be going down for murder two. Not a great life for 5 ex cops.

I’ve watched the police chief lady. She is doing as good a job as possible post murder as she can. The issue is how were FIVE guys willing to kill someone, really doing nothing criminal, chosen for this ‘elite’ squad?

How about this
Police are not allowed to pull somebody out of a car for a simple traffic infraction
January 30th, 2023 at 3:36:23 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

Elite does not mean ethical. In fact often there is a natural divergence. You even see this in the military, the more elite the unit, the more they feel they can get away with.

To some degree this makes sense with both police and the military, when you are working in extreme environments (whether that be undercover as a gangster or imbedded with a revolutionary militia in a civil war) you are going to have to do things that are certainly not by the book and if on camera would probably make people uncomfortable.

Honestly the fact that they are an elite gang unit and seemed pretty targeted for this guy makes me think that there is more to this story.
January 30th, 2023 at 3:37:16 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
How about this
Police are not allowed to pull somebody out of a car for a simple traffic infraction

I agree with this but unfortunately many police just make things up to get their way. (eg. I smell marijuana please get out of the car).
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 5 of 7« First<234567>