Celebrating Juneteenth

Page 11 of 13« First<8910111213>
June 25th, 2021 at 9:45:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

Keep making fools of yourselves with this argument. You're doing a good job of that.

It is not our argument, it is the media argument. The truth of it is what's really bothering you. You don't usually stoop to name-calling
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 25th, 2021 at 10:29:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
You don't usually stoop to name-calling

I got a bad knee.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 26th, 2021 at 4:20:41 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
That's the human condition. Some things never mean much of anything to some people, and many things go from fresh or interesting to routine.

I'm not sure if trying to induce artificial appreciation where none is felt is a good aim. Or maybe I'm being too cynical. Parents usually want to set a good example for their kids, so that may involve some acting on their part at times. Is that a good thing? Or should you always be honest as possible?

As honest as possible, but I don't really understand your post. I was satirizing the notion of Juneteenth being a, "Remembrance," of slavery by pointing out that Fourth of July does not put me in a negative mood thinking about when the inhabitants of this land were British subjects.

That said, I do legitimately enjoy fireworks. Who doesn't like fireworks?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 26th, 2021 at 5:11:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
As honest as possible, but I don't really understand your post. I was satirizing the notion of Juneteenth being a, "Remembrance," of slavery by pointing out that Fourth of July does not put me in a negative mood thinking about when the inhabitants of this land were British subjects.

That said, I do legitimately enjoy fireworks. Who doesn't like fireworks?

Oh?

Because I didn’t understand your post either. My bad. I haven’t used “perfunctory” in awhile. That’s what I was getting at in a one word explanation.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 26th, 2021 at 5:40:13 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
What liberal position are you talking about?

Preservation of slavery and Jim Crow segregation were conservative positions in their day. I am not saying that the modern conservative movement holds those same views, but in its time opposition to them was liberalism.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
June 26th, 2021 at 9:38:34 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: JimRockford
Preservation of slavery and Jim Crow segregation were conservative positions in their day. I am not saying that the modern conservative movement holds those same views

The current Republican efforts to limit voting are yet another example of a political party "trying to keep the black man down," so I'd say they hold, at minimum, congruent views.
June 26th, 2021 at 10:00:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: JimRockford
Preservation of slavery and Jim Crow segregation were conservative positions in their day. I am not saying that the modern conservative movement holds those same views, but in its time opposition to them was liberalism.

Uh, no. What do you base this on?

They were both positions of the Democrat Party. The Democrat Party honored a former KKK member in its Senate delegation in the 2000s. Today they have one proud to be a member of an all-white country club.
The President is a fink.
June 26th, 2021 at 10:01:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
The current Republican efforts to limit voting are yet another example of a political party "trying to keep the black man down," so I'd say they hold, at minimum, congruent views.

Other than people alive who are the GOP trying to limit voting to?
The President is a fink.
June 26th, 2021 at 1:21:43 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
Other than people alive who are the GOP trying to limit voting to?

They don't want Democrats to vote.
June 26th, 2021 at 2:35:46 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: missedhervee
They don't want Democrats to vote.

Only the dead ones.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 11 of 13« First<8910111213>