Celebrating Juneteenth

Page 3 of 13<123456>Last »
June 18th, 2021 at 2:27:42 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
What a frickin' joke this new holiday is.

It's just a sop.

The blacks already had MLK day, now this?

What about the Mexicans, the Asians, the Native Americans, where's their federal holiday?

I think I'll celebrate the holiday trying to think of ways to bring slavery back: I'd love to be a massah.
June 18th, 2021 at 3:21:09 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: missedhervee
I think I'll celebrate the holiday trying to think of ways to bring slavery back

Start voting republican.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 18th, 2021 at 3:48:43 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I am all for free speech, but I am honestly shocked by the amount of blatant bigotry on this forum. This thread is quickly turning into a thread about how to hate black people for everything.... Just like "The Gay Thread" basically is one long homophobic rant....

I don't understand how in 2021 people can still be this socially backwards..... Actually I can (we have seen who the right supports), but I am more surprised that people are so blatant about it....
June 18th, 2021 at 4:11:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler
I am all for free speech, but I am honestly shocked by the amount of blatant bigotry on this forum. .

That's because you see bigotry where none exists. You think discussing something that's racial in nature is bigoted. That's why it's blatant because it's not bigotry. You seem to be the one with the problem not the other people posting here. Just because I said the Juneteenth holiday is stupid does not mean I'm bigoted. It is a stupid holiday because it dredges up something that ended over a hundred and sixty years ago that nobody gives a rip about anymore. Yeah there were slaves here, boo hoo, those were the times they lived in. They are not the times we live in. I think Christmas is a stupid holiday, but you don't see me crying that there's no holiday celebrating atheism. You are wrong about it being socially backwards. It was socially backwards 40 years ago when you couldn't discuss it. You can discuss it now which means we are moving socially forward. You are the one stuck in the past.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 18th, 2021 at 4:24:48 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Evenbob
That's because you see bigotry where none exists. You think discussing something that's racial in nature is bigoted. That's why it's blatant because it's not bigotry. You seem to be the one with the problem not the other people posting here. Just because I said the Juneteenth holiday is stupid does not mean I'm bigoted. It is a stupid holiday because it dredges up something that ended over a hundred and sixty years ago that nobody gives a rip about anymore. Yeah there were slaves here, boo hoo, those were the times they lived in. They are not the times we live in. I think Christmas is a stupid holiday, but you don't see me crying that there's no holiday celebrating atheism. You are wrong about it being socially backwards. It was socially backwards 40 years ago when you couldn't discuss it. You can discuss it now which means we are moving socially forward. You are the one stuck in the past.

There was a post like 2 or 3 up literally wanting to bring back slavery.... That is bigotry. And, that is not even getting into some of the questionable posts earlier in the thread....
June 18th, 2021 at 5:01:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler
There was a post like 2 or 3 up literally wanting to bring back slavery.... That is bigotry. ..

See, you're doing it again. It was sarcastic humor, but you can't see that, all you see is bigotry because that's what you Millennials were taught. If you discuss in any fashion any other race but your own you're a bigot. If it is ever going to get better, if we're ever going to make any progress, we have to be able to discuss openly how we feel about these things. Joke about it, whatever. Your way of putting your hands over your eyes and humming loudly so you can't hear anything doesn't work anymore.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 18th, 2021 at 5:42:20 PM permalink
missedhervee
Sure, I said it "tongue in cheek," but that doesn't mean I didn't mean what I said.

Blacks in America are really starting to PISS ME OFF, waving their placards, looting, burning, killing.

Maybe if they got off the dope and really applied themselves they'd accomplish something, but no, they just want to guilt trip whites.

'F em.
June 18th, 2021 at 5:42:47 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Evenbob
See, you're doing it again. It was sarcastic humor, but you can't see that, all you see is bigotry because that's what you Millennials were taught. If you discuss in any fashion any other race but your own you're a bigot. If it is ever going to get better, if we're ever going to make any progress, we have to be able to discuss openly how we feel about these things. Joke about it, whatever. Your way of putting your hands over your eyes and humming loudly so you can't hear anything doesn't work anymore.

Generally (not always) if you are discussing other races (than your own) in a negative context it is bigotry...

The only people with their hands over their eyes are people not wanting to admit the full past.

I love America, probably more than most people, I am a proud Nationalist. But, pointing out weaknesses in history is how to make a strong future.

And, you don't realize it was not as long ago as you seem to think. My parents (well my father for sure as he spoke of it) knew former slaves growing up, and saw Civil War veterans speak (my mother is the same age, but she probably was not as interested in seeking out such speakers, at least I don't think so). If you are as old as you claim, you likely also lived at the same time as former slaves and Civil War veterans. My grandparents (on both sides) knew many (both former slaves and Civil War veterans) (one of my grandfathers organized former slaves in labor movements in DC, porters specifically, at a time when it was very unpopular to do so, he had a clever method where he would have all porters do a variation of sit-ins in all of the toilets in the capitol and not leave any bathrooms free, and had a clever name for it). The point is, the Civil War and slavery are not as far removed from the present as people would like to think. We only need to go back two generations at the most (less depending on how old you are) to be among that population (former slaves and Civil War Veterans). I am younger than most people here (as some love to point out), and my parents knew slaves, and my grandparents knew many (and in one case dedicated many years to working with them), its not that far removed from us.

And segregation was far more recent, like shockingly recent, many people were alive during this, and many victims of it still live. There were many States that through the mid 1960s still tried to racially segregate public institutions. This is why it is wrong to idolize the Confederate Flag and Confederate Leaders, even the ones who were not racist (which to be very fair there were some), were separatists and were more loyal to their State than the Federal Government (and this carried over into the segregation era with Federal Troops in Standoffs with State and local Police and militias etc.....)

Of course slavery still exists in the modern world (and in some countries virtually legally), but I am speaking of American history and the African slave trade when referencing "slaves" etc..... Yes, I am obviously aware of modern human trafficking and slavery in other countries in the modern world.... (I am pre-empting certain grammar obsessed people latching on to my use of the term "slaves " and history etc....)
June 18th, 2021 at 6:00:00 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee
Sure, I said it "tongue in cheek," but that doesn't mean I didn't mean what I said.

Blacks in America are really starting to PISS ME OFF, waving their placards, looting, burning, killing.

Maybe if they got off the dope and really applied themselves they'd accomplish something, but no, they just want to guilt trip whites.

'F em.

Wow
Yikes
Pretty much my experience with Blacks came through my workplace
I got to know many well
I have to say not a single Black person I have worked with pissed me off, waved a placard, looted, burned or killed
Where do you personally meet Black people in real life to get that impression?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 18th, 2021 at 6:08:54 PM permalink
missedhervee
Oh, the few blacks I've met and spoken to are fine.

No, I'm talking about "the media blacks;" you know, the ones we've seen on TV, the BLM / antifa, burning, rioting, accomplishing nothing of value, only whining and destroying.

And of course I note the spike in black on black killings locally as well as nationwide since BLM started: great idea, defund the police / sookeepers so the animals can run amuck.

I grew up in Plainfield, NJ and we fled that town after the blacks rioted / hacked a cop to death with a meat cleaver.

They have that town to themselves now and as with pretty much every city that was once predominately white and is now mainly black it's gone to hell in a handbasket.

Hello, thug life.
Page 3 of 13<123456>Last »