Climate change deniers

Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »
July 22nd, 2021 at 6:47:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
associate professor of mechanical and industrial engineering at Northeastern has created a sustainable material that can be used to make buildings or other objects able to keep cool without relying on conventional cooling systems.

The material, which Zheng has dubbed “cooling paper,” works in two ways. Its light color reflects those warm solar rays away from the building, and it also sucks heat out of the interior, too.

Zheng, who studies nanomaterials, saw a bucket full of used printing paper. He recalls thinking to himself, ‘How could we simply transform that waste material into some functional energy material, composite materials?’

So, with the help of a high-speed blender from his home kitchen, Zheng made a pulp out of paper waste and the material that makes up Teflon. Then he formed it into water-repelling “cooling paper” that could coat homes. Then, he and his team tested its capacity to keep cool under various temperature and humidity conditions.

Zheng and his colleagues found that the cooling paper can reduce a room’s temperature by as much as 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2021/06/07/how-to-keep-cool-without-turning-on-the-ac/

That's a pretty significant reduction in temperature. You usually get a calculation from your local energy company, on how much savings you get by just changing the temp by 1 degree over a month. Not to mention the overall energy reduction in temperate climates -- thus using less fossil fuel.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 22nd, 2021 at 7:13:12 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
https://news.northeastern.edu/2021/06/07/how-to-keep-cool-without-turning-on-the-ac/

That's a pretty significant reduction in temperature. You usually get a calculation from your local energy company, on how much savings you get by just changing the temp by 1 degree over a month. Not to mention the overall energy reduction in temperate climates -- thus using less fossil fuel.

That doesn't pass the smell test.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 22nd, 2021 at 7:34:12 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman

Well then, it won’t be hard to debunk. It will either work or it won’t.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 22nd, 2021 at 8:32:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

I agree. 10F is a lot of heat to suck up. Almost enough that the "paper" would near be too hot to even touch.
The President is a fink.
July 22nd, 2021 at 10:19:40 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
I agree. 10F is a lot of heat to suck up. Almost enough that the "paper" would near be too hot to even touch.

It’s.not storing heat, just transferring it to the other side.

Now I’m curious why you guys believe they would make an easily refutable claim that could be tested in a couple hours at most without any expensive or extraordinary equipment?
July 22nd, 2021 at 10:34:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

So, what do you think is happening to the heat as it does this?

Quote:
Now I’m curious why you guys believe they would make an easily refutable claim that could be tested in a couple hours at most without any expensive or extraordinary equipment?

Because the claim seems pretty far out there. I am a natural skeptic.
The President is a fink.
July 22nd, 2021 at 11:50:00 AM permalink
kenarman

The wall is insulated and the inside and outside of the wall are not at the same temperature. Most heat transfer in or out of a house is through the glass, 2nd most is through the ceiling. I have done heat loss/gain calculations for 50 years to size systems.
July 22nd, 2021 at 12:02:08 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The wall is insulated and the inside and outside of the wall are not at the same temperature. Most heat transfer in or out of a house is through the glass, 2nd most is through the ceiling. I have done heat loss/gain calculations for 50 years to size systems.

Yet
Simply due to positioning the house regarding the rising and falling sun can save lots of energy.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 22nd, 2021 at 12:28:39 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: terapined
Yet
Simply due to positioning the house regarding the rising and falling sun can save lots of energy.

Of course. Your point?
July 22nd, 2021 at 12:31:20 PM permalink
rxwine

But his primary research is in nanotechnology.
Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »