Debt Ceiling Brinkmanship

September 29th, 2021 at 5:53:33 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
Except you don’t have FIFTY votes to nuke the filibuster. Manchin and 50 Repubs vote no. Probably a few more Dem Senators also vote no.

Oh wow, really? I had no idea. /s
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 30th, 2021 at 2:53:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Except you don’t have FIFTY votes to nuke the filibuster. Manchin and 50 Repubs vote no. Probably a few more Dem Senators also vote no.

Just remember the calls to get rid of the filibuster because if they do the same people screaming to get rid of it will be crying like little children when the GOP ends up with all three branches. Happens every time with liberals.

There are probably at least 10 Democrat Senators smart enough to see this so the filibuster is probably not going anywhere.
The President is a fink.
September 30th, 2021 at 3:47:27 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

Sinema, for a second.

They can fund the Government, and theoretically, increase the debt ceiling by doing it as a budget reconciliation; that only requires a majority and cannot be filibustered.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 30th, 2021 at 3:57:47 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Mission146
Sinema, for a second.

They can fund the Government, and theoretically, increase the debt ceiling by doing it as a budget reconciliation; that only requires a majority and cannot be filibustered.
In the absence of 50 votes that is academic.
Anyone want a beer money bet that the debt ceiling does NOT get raised in time and that technically, default is declared some time in October. Maybe a wager on the wording of a WSJ headline something along the lines of "US Defaults on Debt for first time ever!" ?
September 30th, 2021 at 5:38:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: OnceDear

The Democrats have the 50 votes plus the tiebreaker. They are trying to find a way to blame the GOP for their woes, as usual. Instead of trying to raise the debt limit they are working on passing massive pork bills. How massive? 4 times the total national debt 1776-1981.

The Squad is holding it all hostage. Meanwhile I am laughing at the people who think Biden is so great because no more mean tweets!
The President is a fink.
September 30th, 2021 at 5:56:12 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: AZDuffman
The Democrats have the 50 votes plus the tiebreaker. They are trying to find a way to blame the GOP for their woes, as usual. Instead of trying to raise the debt limit they are working on passing massive pork bills. How massive? 4 times the total national debt 1776-1981.

The Squad is holding it all hostage. Meanwhile I am laughing at the people who think Biden is so great because no more mean tweets!

A Squad certainly are holding them hostage. In this game of Brinkmanship, the GOP look evil but the Dems look WEAK. I'm thinking the GOP will be happy to see a perfect storm tear through America so long as the Dems look bad.
The GOP are not bluffing. The Dems will fold too late, a worst case scenario.
TS Will HTF, IMHO

I wonder if a world event will throw a spanner in the works? Russian (or US terrorist) intervention or weather or whatever, disrupting the senate vote? That's how it is with brinkmanship, there is no margin for external events.
September 30th, 2021 at 7:42:04 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Anyone want a beer money bet that the debt ceiling does NOT get raised in time and that technically, default is declared some time in October. Maybe a wager on the wording of a WSJ headline something along the lines of "US Defaults on Debt for first time ever!" ?

I'll take that bet. You win if the US federal government does not not honor Social Security payments or bond payments. Otherwise, I do.

Please note that the government can miss paychecks for federal workers and anything else that has happened in previous shutdowns.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 30th, 2021 at 8:00:09 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 30th, 2021 at 8:06:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
A Squad certainly are holding them hostage. In this game of Brinkmanship, the GOP look evil but the Dems look WEAK. I'm thinking the GOP will be happy to see a perfect storm tear through America so long as the Dems look bad.
The GOP are not bluffing. The Dems will fold too late, a worst case scenario.
TS Will HTF, IMHO

GOP is not holding anything. Not bluffing anything. Game is playing out on the Democrat side. Trump warned years ago how dangerous The Squad was. What is happening is what could be expected to happen when Democrats demanded "minority-majority" congressional districts. You get loons like AOC, Waters, et. al. who have no fear of losing their seat. No reason to compromise. Which is the way the Democrats wanted it. Well, they get it! Hopefully America sees what Democrats really stand for as it unfolds.
The President is a fink.
September 30th, 2021 at 8:51:53 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

If you're still offering this bet to more than one taker, then I'll also take it with the same conditions as Wizard. I don't think Manchin would let that happen and it also wouldn't be at all beneficial to the Democrats for Social Security payments to stop whilst they are in power.

Also, it would be self-destructive to openly blame Manchin if such a thing did happen. If Manchin decides he's had enough and either doesn't run again or resigns, then the Dems can kiss that Senate seat goodbye.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman