January 6 redux

January 19th, 2022 at 1:49:55 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Its hilarious that Trumpers can't throw the Jan 6 guilty under the bus
Its defend defend defend
They crossed a line on Jan 6 that no protestor has crossed in over 200 years in this country. Trumpers have a hard time dealing with that fact. For some its so hard, they actually blame the FBI.
They will never live that down
It will always be remembered
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 19th, 2022 at 1:59:10 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
First, everyone has a side.

Second, both groups were arrested for protesting government action. If you want to be inconsistent feel free, just know what you are doing there.

'Everyone' has a position, but I don't think everyone has a side. Some people certainly have a side.

Anything else depends on what specific law in question the people allegedly violated. Just because the underlying event was some sort of protest does not make all crimes associated therewith equal. Would you agree with me (and just looking at a second thing that did not happen for example's sake) that refusing to disperse when being ordered to disperse is a less serious crime than shooting a police officer?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 19th, 2022 at 2:05:20 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
'Everyone' has a position, but I don't think everyone has a side. Some people certainly have a side.

Saying the same thing.

Quote:
Anything else depends on what specific law in question the people allegedly violated. Just because the underlying event was some sort of protest does not make all crimes associated therewith equal. Would you agree with me (and just looking at a second thing that did not happen for example's sake) that refusing to disperse when being ordered to disperse is a less serious crime than shooting a police officer?

I agree it would be less serious. But the question was placed to the people on here all bent out of shape acting like Jan 6 was the end of the world and saying "it never happened before" but ignore liberal protestors at the Capitol. At the least it shows that saying a demonstration "never happened before" is so silly. At most it shows they only care if the group getting arrested is conservative while they give liberal groups a free pass.

SEE: "Demonstrating absurdity by being absurd"
The President is a fink.
January 19th, 2022 at 2:07:37 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Second, both groups were arrested for protesting government action. If you want to be inconsistent feel free, just know what you are doing there.

Where am I "inconsistent?"

I am not asking for any favorable treatment for the progressives; jail 'em for all I care, so long as they're lawfully charged and convicted.

The events of Jan. 6th far surpass the recent street march by progressives; the two are not even close to being equivalent, both as to the nature of their deed and its existential threat to democracy.

Both examples were unlawful protest, but the Trumpies took it way too far.
January 19th, 2022 at 2:15:26 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Saying the same thing.

How? A position is looking at one of multiple propositions and determining which answer you like the best.

For example, if I wanted to take the Republican, 'Side,' in all things, then I would just be pro-life. Republicans, overwhelmingly, are pro-life. If I wanted to take the most Liberal stance, then I would be pro-choice at all costs. Instead, I take two positions on the matter that are not all one side or the other side.

Position 1: Personally, I am pro-choice.

Position 2: While I am pro-choice, I don't think the question should be decided on the Federal level. Ideally, I think that the individual states should decide their own policies and preferably by way of popular vote.

So, depending on the context of the discussion, who I am discussing it with and which specific question is being asked, a Democrat might suggest that I am a Republican and a Republican might suggest that I'm a Democrat. Of course, I'm neither of those two things.

Quote:
I agree it would be less serious. But the question was placed to the people on here all bent out of shape acting like Jan 6 was the end of the world and saying "it never happened before" but ignore liberal protestors at the Capitol. At the least it shows that saying a demonstration "never happened before" is so silly. At most it shows they only care if the group getting arrested is conservative while they give liberal groups a free pass.

SEE: "Demonstrating absurdity by being absurd"

Maybe. I think what is being discussed with MrV is his proposition that breaking into the Capitol Building, specifically, is or should be a more serious offense than whatever it was that happened yesterday.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 19th, 2022 at 3:31:51 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: Mission146
Maybe. I think what is being discussed with MrV is his proposition that breaking into the Capitol Building, specifically, is or should be a more serious offense than whatever it was that happened yesterday.

^
^
This.

Of course it is "more serious," duh.

Anyone who cannot immediately see this point is either myopic, schizophrenic, or a Trumpie.

Enough with the false equivalencies, AZD: just suck it up and admit Trump lost in a valid election then; the need to construct false equivalencies will waft away like a fart in a hurricane.
January 19th, 2022 at 4:21:07 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
^
^
This.

Of course it is "more serious," duh.

Anyone who cannot immediately see this point is either myopic, schizophrenic, or a Trumpie.

Enough with the false equivalencies, AZD: just suck it up and admit Trump lost in a valid election then; the need to construct false equivalencies will waft away like a fart in a hurricane.

I said before I will go to my death knowing it was a stolen election. Mail in voting alone allowed the steal.

And also knowing your rage is based on Trump hate and you do not care about liberals demonstrating at the Capitol.
The President is a fink.
January 19th, 2022 at 5:10:52 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
This thread has become hilarious
Normal people of reason trying to convince a Trumper that Trump lost.
Normal people of reason trying to convince a Trumper that Jan 6 protest crossed a line that no liberal protestor has ever crossed
Trumpers live in a fantasy world that Trump won and liberals are just as bad as the Jan 6 attackers. No facts or logic is going to change their fantasy.
Facts and logic are meaningless to Trumpers
Its right on display on this board
Yet people that care about facts try and try
Stunning
I saw this years ago and blocked the fantasy
Some of you guys must think of yourselves as Jack Nicholson in cuckoos nest "At least I tried"
That's all you can do is try. Trumpers will never belive any fact Trump himself disputes
Those are the facts of life
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 19th, 2022 at 5:15:22 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I said before I will go to my death knowing it was a stolen election. Mail in voting alone allowed the steal.

And also knowing your rage is based on Trump hate and you do not care about liberals demonstrating at the Capitol.

The election was not stolen.

And, there is a huge difference between "demonstrating" at the capital (happens literally every day and is perfectly legal) and invading it.
January 19th, 2022 at 5:23:57 PM permalink
missedhervee

Oh, I "care" about liberals demonstrating at the Capitol; hell, haven't you followed my two years of posting anti_BLM / antifa posts re: Portland?

I have zero problem with your going to your death believing whatever you want, whether it be a strong belief in harps, angels, heaven and hell or an ill-founded belief in tyrannosaurus Trump: it's just so painful yet comical to watch you smear your ridiculous vomitus across the screen.

There are no substantial issues with mail in voting: we've had it a long time out west and it has worked just fine.

And no, you can't blame mail in voting for the progressive voters in San Francisco, Portland and Seattle electing progressives; it's the will of the people in those locales.