Ukraine conflict

February 1st, 2022 at 3:19:47 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
There’s supposed to be about 5000 Americans in Ukraine. I hope they don’t start whining about getting out it if they stay and Russia overruns it.

The Biden-haters here in the US will do the whining for them.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 1st, 2022 at 4:43:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
Why get all worked up over Ukraine, anyway?

For decades they were soviet and we didn't get all worked up over that reality.

Putin wants it back, both for its natural resources and its location as a buffer; besides, many Ukrainians want Russian rule.

Let Putin have Ukraine; but draw the line if he wants Alaska back.

The thing about Ukraine is it gives Russia more strategic depth. If Hitler was smarter he would have made Ukraine a temporary ally. He might have holed up for the winter there then been able to have a shorter trip to Moscow. When Russia controls Ukraine it is that much closer to control of Euraisa, which cannot be allowed to happen.
The President is a fink.
February 1st, 2022 at 5:21:57 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
When Russia controls Ukraine it is that much closer to control of Euraisa, which cannot be allowed to happen.

Eurasia is the combined land mass of both Europe and Asia; Ukraine is far from being a lynchpin and Ukraine is an unworthy venue at which to shed American blood and billions of military dollars.

Let Vlad the Impaler have it if it comes down to it.
February 1st, 2022 at 5:53:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Eurasia is the combined land mass of both Europe and Asia; Ukraine is far from being a lynchpin and Ukraine is an unworthy venue at which to shed American blood and billions of military dollars.

I don't know why anyone keeps suggesting we will intentionally engage the Russians directly. Not even our most hawkish politicians have suggested such an approach since this started.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 1st, 2022 at 5:56:11 PM permalink
missedhervee
I read that uncle Joe is sending more American troops to that part of the world; if they conflict with the 100,000 Russian troops there now I expect they won't be playing tiddly winks.

The drums of war are being beaten, but is it all for "show" or "go?"
February 1st, 2022 at 6:05:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I read that uncle Joe is sending more American troops to that part of the world; if they conflict with the 100,000 Russian troops there now I expect they won't be playing tiddly winks.

The drums of war are being beaten, but is it all for "show" or "go?"

It's a proxy war. The kind the CIA was accused of doing except we're doing it in the open. Arms, supplies, logistics, intelligence. Except I doubt we will even risk a seal team on this one.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 2nd, 2022 at 3:42:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman

Every country in Europe is a step closer. It is why we moved NATO east when the East Bloc collapsed. Does not mean we should send troops, but it is and has been the policy of the USA even if unspoken to keep Russia bottled up where she is.

But also Biden wants a war to increase his popularity.
The President is a fink.
February 2nd, 2022 at 12:32:31 PM permalink
missedhervee
Understood; but adopting that way of thinking what is "wrong" with Russia putting nuclear missiles in Cuba?

No, I wouldn't "like it," but we do it to Russia, so why can't they do it to us?

What goes around comes around, right?

In the real world it isn't necessary to site missiles in Europe aimed at Russia: that's why we have nuclear subs in stealth mode off the Russian coasts, the same as they have boomers in the Atlantic and Pacific ready to incinerate the USA.
February 2nd, 2022 at 1:36:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Understood; but adopting that way of thinking what is "wrong" with Russia putting nuclear missiles in Cuba?

They threaten the USA. This is not kindergarten where we all share. We look out for our interests first and only.
The President is a fink.
February 2nd, 2022 at 3:19:00 PM permalink
missedhervee
Of course we do, as does Russia.

It becomes a question of strength, who will flinch first.

Here's a slice of Ukraine for those curious enough to explore ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bNzjBJF_G0&t=1135s