Ukraine conflict

February 3rd, 2022 at 3:11:12 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Interesting that those on this forum that I perceive as both 'left' and 'right' of the political spectrum, all seem to be saying 'Not our problem, let's stay out of it' or maybe 'Why are we thinking of involving America in a European war'

I can sympathise, and I'm not knocking any opinions.
Just pragmatically, I perceive that Putin is using those very sentiments to feel bolder and more inclined to invade the Sovereign territory of Ukraine, and later, all those buffer nations in eastern Europe. It's his window of opportunity for breaking out of the constraints that the rest of the world placed on Russia. Again,
I'm not making any judgements of the rights or wrongs of US or RU policy.

Just by the by, When the Ukraine was under Russian control, it was a key location for most West facing ICBMs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_and_Ukraine

Ukraine held about one third of the Soviet nuclear arsenal, the third largest in the world at the time, as well as significant means of its design and production.
February 3rd, 2022 at 4:32:27 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: OnceDear
Interesting that those on this forum that I perceive as both 'left' and 'right' of the political spectrum, all seem to be saying 'Not our problem, let's stay out of it' or maybe 'Why are we thinking of involving America in a European war'

Just pragmatically, I perceive that Putin is using those very sentiments to feel bolder and more inclined to invade the Sovereign territory of Ukraine, and later, all those buffer nations in eastern Europe. It's his window of opportunity for breaking out of the constraints that the rest of the world placed on Russia. Again,

Just by the by, When the Ukraine was under Russian control, it was a key location for most West facing ICBMs.

Ukraine held about one third of the Soviet nuclear arsenal, the third largest in the world at the time, as well as significant means of its design and production.

I'm still sticking to my premise that Putin took American's general discontent with long wars, Biden's rapid withdrawal from Afghanistan, and his low popularity as a perfect time to move on Ukraine again. And I think he assumed we would sit back and not interfere. Also, our pull outs from Syria, and also assisting the Kurds probably influenced the decision we would maybe chatter, but do nothing else.

Now he's trying to figure out if it will be worth the various costs. No one really doubts he can overwhelm Ukraine, but the US and it's alliances are trying to make it as miserable as possible without actually firing a shot ourselves.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 3rd, 2022 at 5:10:06 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
Now he's trying to figure out if it will be worth the various costs. No one really doubts he can overwhelm Ukraine, but the US and it's alliances are trying to make it as miserable as possible without actually firing a shot ourselves.

I actually like maximum pressure before firing shots as a policy in many cases. I do think the President started from behind on applying that pressure.

Russia being contained is in our best interests. The question with that is always what the cost of containment would be.
February 3rd, 2022 at 5:18:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

The reasons to stay out outweigh the reasons to go in 10-1. And we have a perfect case of Trump was right in cracking down on European nations for letting their armies rot. Yet another case of they have to ask the USA to step up since they cannot.

One has to feel for the Ukrainian people. They are one of many groups who have been dominated forever because their nation lies at a geopolitical choke point. These nations are destined to have brief periods of freedom between generations of domination. Putin seems destined to peel off the Russian areas of the country.

Is Biden Chamberlain and is that part of Ukraine the Sudetenland? How much longer before Putin retires? What after Putin?
The President is a fink.
February 3rd, 2022 at 6:23:22 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

That is true, he is hoping, and sadly he may be right, that there will be opposition to American involvement in a large scale operation. Sadly both parties are weak on this issue.
February 3rd, 2022 at 6:41:59 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Then it is a good thing that I am here. I am all for provoking war. I really want to see our military capabilities that have been hidden for 50 years. Let's use and see what we have been paying for. I would be fascinated to see how a large scale war proceeds and progresses.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 3rd, 2022 at 10:54:39 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: DRich
Then it is a good thing that I am here. I am all for provoking war. I really want to see our military capabilities that have been hidden for 50 years. Let's use and see what we have been paying for. I would be fascinated to see how a large scale war proceeds and progresses.
LOL. Thanks DRich, for reminding me that there is Left, Right, and a Total Other Dimension $:o)
February 3rd, 2022 at 11:36:26 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: DRich
I am all for provoking war. I really want to see our military capabilities that have been hidden for 50 years. Let's use and see what we have been paying for. I would be fascinated to see how a large scale war proceeds and progresses.

Sure, just like you'd enjoy watching a meteor strike the earth: the early sightings, it growing larger and larger and finally the blazing object hurtling at you at 15 miles per second.

Oh, what a feeling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSLTdwfUeho
February 3rd, 2022 at 1:24:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
Sure, just like you'd enjoy watching a meteor strike the earth: the early sightings, it growing larger and larger and finally the blazing object hurtling at you at 15 miles per second.

If that does happen only thing to do is crack a beer and enjoy.
The President is a fink.
February 3rd, 2022 at 1:50:40 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
If that does happen only thing to do is crack a beer and enjoy.

I agree.

Whether our doom come from a nuclear attack or a collision with a meteor the best way to cope is to get hammered.

Or better yet, have sexual intercourse while you're partying; you know, "go out with a bang."