Ukraine conflict

February 6th, 2022 at 5:56:06 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
So I have been seeing some right-wing sources losing their minds today about Iran having a Civil Nuclear Program (Nuclear Energy), and that this will lead to their expansion in the Middle East (possible). And, think that it should be stopped and diplomacy is no option.

But, these same sources are also losing their minds at the thought of the U.S. getting involved in Ukraine and that diplomacy is the only option.

I do not understand the right-wing obsession with invading Iran, while acting like Russia (a country with nuclear weapons and a military that actually matters), expanding is no big deal.

China just made a deal with Russia to oppose NATO expansion. This is a huge issue that the two most powerful opponents in the world are working together. My guess is Russia is going to use this to annex back, and then China will go for Taiwon, and they will hope nobody will want to be against both.

It's almost like certain people want to hyper focus on countries that are virtually no threat to us even if they get what they want (and trust me, I am no fan of Iran, and I do not even oppose tougher measures), while ignoring the Elephant that may engulf Asia.

I think after the Winter Olympic end, things will get challenging. For now this is somewhat of a political buffer for China and Russia.
February 7th, 2022 at 5:06:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
So I have been seeing some right-wing sources losing their minds today about Iran having a Civil Nuclear Program (Nuclear Energy), and that this will lead to their expansion in the Middle East (possible). And, think that it should be stopped and diplomacy is no option.

But, these same sources are also losing their minds at the thought of the U.S. getting involved in Ukraine and that diplomacy is the only option.

I do not understand the right-wing obsession with invading Iran, while acting like Russia (a country with nuclear weapons and a military that actually matters), expanding is no big deal.

You have to understand the real strategy of the USA in the Middle East. Not what the government says, what it does. We want power balanced so no one country can be a hegemon. At the same time we are fine with them all being angry at each other as long as no war breaks out. We will try to get nations like the UAE to be nicer towards Israel, but really that is about more balance against Iran. We will take an EU like outcome if it happens but only in that it does not exclude anybody important.

If Iran is allowed nukes then they can then divert money from their land army and put it into their navy. A stronger Iranian navy can close the gulf. And that cannot be allowed to happen.

Ukraine, OTOH, is a borderland who is destined to move between Russia and Western European interests. We do not want Russia to have her in their orbit but given a choice of the two Ukraine can be sacrificed.
The President is a fink.
February 7th, 2022 at 6:05:05 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
You have to understand the real strategy of the USA in the Middle East. Not what the government says, what it does. We want power balanced so no one country can be a hegemon. At the same time we are fine with them all being angry at each other as long as no war breaks out. We will try to get nations like the UAE to be nicer towards Israel, but really that is about more balance against Iran. We will take an EU like outcome if it happens but only in that it does not exclude anybody important.

If Iran is allowed nukes then they can then divert money from their land army and put it into their navy. A stronger Iranian navy can close the gulf. And that cannot be allowed to happen.

Ukraine, OTOH, is a borderland who is destined to move between Russia and Western European interests. We do not want Russia to have her in their orbit but given a choice of the two Ukraine can be sacrificed.

I don't think it's likley that Iran will have nukes. I think people really don't want them getting nuclear power because that would allow much more energy freedom which would in turn allow them to divert traditional fuel to their military. This is far more likley than making Nukes, Iran is not dumb, they know everyone is watching them. I think people just don't want to say that they think it's wrong for them to have Nuclear Power and instead fear monger that this is a step towards nuclear weapons.

On an off topic point, I think nuclear power is good for the world, and the more programs, the better. Just make sure Iran keeps up with their inspections.

Pakistan scares me more than Iran, and they already have Nukes, and in a country as unstable as them, they are one coup away from the Taliban being a nuclear power.
February 8th, 2022 at 10:34:15 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler

China just made a deal with Russia to oppose NATO expansion. This is a huge issue that the two most powerful opponents in the world are working together. My guess is Russia is going to use this to annex back, and then China will go for Taiwon, and they will hope nobody will want to be against both.

It's almost like certain people want to hyper focus on countries that are virtually no threat to us even if they get what they want (and trust me, I am no fan of Iran, and I do not even oppose tougher measures), while ignoring the Elephant that may engulf Asia.

I think after the Winter Olympic end, things will get challenging. For now this is somewhat of a political buffer for China and Russia.

No reason China and Russia couldn't work together for some short term interests.

In any event, if Russia doesn't go in, I doubt the right gives Biden little if any credit, and if he does they'll be loud with the blame.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 8th, 2022 at 1:38:36 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
No reason China and Russia couldn't work together for some short term interests.

In any event, if Russia doesn't go in, I doubt the right gives Biden little if any credit, and if he does they'll be loud with the blame.

Isn't that how political spin works? Somehow you expect one side to be fair about spinning?

The economy does well, the President takes credit.

The economy does poorly, the President blames other things.

The other party does the opposite.

Rarely is a lot of credit given to the other party unless the evidence is so overwhelming that someone did a great job and it has to be acknowledged.

It has been this way for a while...or longer...
February 11th, 2022 at 5:49:06 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Putin will almost certainly cross the border into Ukraine.

The West will pull their hair and in response either give him what he wants or stand idly by while Russia conquers Ukraine.

We will not put American lives in harms way on this one, nor risk nuclear war.

A smart play by Putin, who has run rings around America for years.
February 11th, 2022 at 5:53:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Not much putin could do if we invaded northern Mexico.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 12th, 2022 at 2:34:31 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: missedhervee
Putin will almost certainly cross the border into Ukraine.

The West will pull their hair and in response either give him what he wants or stand idly by while Russia conquers Ukraine.
We are prepared. We've already phoned him, emailed him and written to him by snail mail. He knows by now that if he invades, there will ba a very strongly worded letter admonishing him and he will be asked to go to his room for a week with no games console.
He needs to realise that invasions have consequences and we are not messing around here!

One last chance to liquidate some shareholdings, maybe on Monday. Then buy them back the couple of days after the airstrikes start. If there's still a Western world this time next year, we'll be quids in. (Is that a Limey expression)
February 12th, 2022 at 4:30:22 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Russia is calling BS on the imminent invasion.

From the Article:

"Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova slammed reports Friday about Russia's "imminent invasion" of Ukraine as a "mass disinformation campaign" against Russia."

"The White House hysteria is more revealing than ever. The Anglo-Saxons need a war. At any cost. Provocations, disinformation, and threats are favorite methods of solving their own problems," she wrote in a post on her Telegram channel. "Road roller of the American military-political machine is ready to go through people's lives. The whole world is watching how militarism, imperial ambitions denounce themselves. And a propaganda brigade chaired by Bloomberg serving all this."

Bloomberg News reported the invasion will begin this coming Tuesday.

Seems inevitable. Expect higher oil prices it happens.

Putin only recently completed a military intervention in Kazakhstan, where he sent 2,000 paratroopers to put down the violent deadly protests. We barely heard of it here, but it was 24x7 news in Russia for weeks. More than 200 people were killed.

"Putin names who he believes escalated Kazakhstan unrest"

“This is our first meeting after the January events, when Kazakhstan became, without any exaggeration, a victim of some international gangs who took advantage of the difficult situation in the country,” the Russian president

I wonder who that could be.
February 12th, 2022 at 12:22:14 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: OnceDear
If there's still a Western world this time next year...

Mother Nature might breathe a sigh of relief were humanity to annihilate itself via nuclear holocaust.

Since the rise of man Nature has gone to hell in a handbasket.

Massive extinction of once prevalent species;

Poisoning the environment via various forms of pollution;

Global warming.

We suck.