Ukraine conflict

March 21st, 2022 at 5:35:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
From what I was told, a lot of Russians were sent with rations (what we would call MREs) already long expired. And, some news stories seem to affirm this. This is one reason that there is such a food shortage, they were sent with a supply of food that was bad to begin with. Such rations can last 3-10 (or more) years, so this means, that Russia was probably drastically outdated on their ration storage before invading (and they were probably thinking this would be so fast that needing weeks of rations was not necessary, forget months....).

This is a pretty poor idea, as since early history food supplies have been critical for invasions, there is the famous, "An Army runs off of its stomach" quote by Napolean. Counting on quickly winning and being able to "live off of the local land" is always a recipe for disaster the second you get delayed for even one day longer than planned....

MREs last a long time, I see Youtube videos of people opening American MREs from the days when cigarettes were inside and eating them, so if Russia's are not just expired, but so long expired that even the Russians won't eat them, it means that they have a very dated inventory (or thought this war would be instantly won and were trying to get rid of a lot of dated MREs through signing them off to field units as an excuse to empty their inventory).

I know the Russians were said to come in short, but it's also the Ukrainians in these bombed cities who hopefully have stocked up. Their defense will ultimately run on the stomach as well.

Also, supposedly Russia bombed a weapons depot with their hypersonic missile. Hopefully the Ukrainians are getting arms, ammunition out of concentrated areas. That's a sure way to lose a lot letting them target any kind of concentration of forces or arms.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 21st, 2022 at 6:41:28 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
This is the Trump interview on Fox. The 44 year old jets he referred to, are the MIG jets Poland wanted to send to Ukraine.

'Trump says US needs to get off the sidelines in Ukraine’s fight for survival'
March 21st, 2022 at 6:49:32 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
C-rats had cigarettes in them until about 1975.

MREs came about around 1983 and did not have cigarettes at any point that I remember through 2000.

I had lots of both types of meals.

We traded Indians in Chile MREs for king crab legs…much better eats!
March 22nd, 2022 at 1:38:07 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
First time ever. Russians used hypersonic missiles to take out underground depot.

Only Russia and China have hypersonic missiles.

What is the advantage of hypersonic missiles?
Especially if the target is not far
It seems to me that missles regardless of speed, are hard to defend against
Hypersonic may mean more that can go wrong and harder to hit a target
I hear Russian hypersonic missiles are more propaganda then fact
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 22nd, 2022 at 3:14:34 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
First time ever. Russians used hypersonic missiles to take out underground depot.

Definitely harder to shoot down. Today's shoulder fired anti-aircraft missiles are very good and Ukraine has been having a lot of success shooting down planes ,helicopters., and missiles. Traditional short range missiles are slower than aircraft and can be intercepted easier than the faster ones.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 22nd, 2022 at 3:37:51 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: DRich
Quote: terapined

Definitely harder to shoot down. Today's shoulder fired anti-aircraft missiles are very good and Ukraine has been having a lot of success shooting down planes ,helicopters., and missiles. Traditional short range missiles are slower than aircraft and can be intercepted easier than the faster ones.

This is basically what I was going to say.

Israel's Iron Dome is a good example of such a system working in a widespread (and constant) capacity. The U.S. Army has plenty of such units as well ADA units.
Missiles (non-hypersonic) are actually easier to defend against than many realize (hypersonic missiles are a different story, luckily, they are quite rare), as long as a country has the systems and equipment. Naval ships have the same capacity (and the advantage of being quickly mobile). So the U.S. and NATO actually have a pretty good shield against traditional missile attacks.

https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/2021/11/20/heres-the-three-companies-selected-to-design-hypersonic-missile-interceptors-for-mda/
The U.S. is still trying to find a solution for the better intercepting of hypersonic missiles, and even a solution will not be perfect because its a very short window where everything must go correctly to intercept.
March 23rd, 2022 at 2:27:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I get all my information about Ukraine from Scott Adams. Because he's so right so much of the time. He says you can believe nothing the comes out of either side because it's all propaganda that you get with every war for the last four or five hundred years. Both sides exaggerate everything. If Ukraine says they've killed six generals they've actually killed two or three. Maybe. The point is why even follow it till it's over and even then we might not know what really happened. In the meantime why would I care. Are we forgetting that the West has been talking about and reporting about the extremely corrupt government of Ukraine, the number of Nazis that are there for the last 4 or 5 years? All of a sudden Ukraine went from corrupt to Divine, I don't think so.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 23rd, 2022 at 2:40:35 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
.... Are we forgetting that the West has been talking about and reporting about the extremely corrupt government of Ukraine, the number of Nazis that are there for the last 4 or 5 years? All of a sudden Ukraine went from corrupt to Divine, I don't think so.
That is pretty much why I haven't commented on this "war". The "Banderite" Militia has been a bunch of sig Heil types since ww2. The 3 communities Russia was trying to take are mainly Russian speaking or have Russian relatives. That is not our job.

And yes Scott Adams makes a good argument. All the war stories of the past are written by the winners.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 23rd, 2022 at 3:01:14 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
"https://www.zerohedge.com/military/here-are-all-latest-news-and-developments-ukraine-war-march-23

"I think this is the first major admission of how taken aback Moscow was by western sanctions.

Lavrov: "When they [froze] the central bnak reserves, nobody who was predicting what sanctions the west would pass could have pictured that. It's just thievery."
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 23rd, 2022 at 4:22:09 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 97
Quote:
All of a sudden Ukraine went from corrupt to Divine, I don't think so.

Corruption was and is endemic in all of the former soviet countries.

I admire the way the Ukrainians are spinning everything via social media: a much more tech-savvy adversary than the lumbering Russian bear.

Still, corrupt or not, Ukranine did not deserve being invaded, there's no justification for it, and hey, they're white people so we caucasian Americans need to care.