Ukraine conflict

March 24th, 2022 at 3:21:06 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
Is humorous that the media has brainwashed you into thinking Ukraine and Russia are not equally corrupt and evil. Russia is Ukraine and Ukraine is Russia in almost every conceivable way. It's equally humorous the the stand-up comic who got elected president of Ukraine is now some kind of divine hero. What a joke. I think Russia will win eventually just by their sheer numbers alone. What's the difference, Russians beating other Russians, who cares. It's really just another half ass Civil War like all the other civil wars going on around the world. Scott Adams was saying today that Ukraine is blowing it on their persuasive propaganda by only showing one or two dead Russian soldiers at once. He says they need to pile the bodies up because that's what good propagandists do and it works. Showing one or two dead bodies, nobody really cares or relates to it.

If Scott Adams really said that, then my opinion of his political thoughts lowered. Again, he should stick with comics. Ukraine does not need more propaganda; Russia is doing a good enough job making everyone hate them.

No, its not, this is the most damaging European War since WWII. So saying its a Civil War is incorrect, (because a country invading another is not a Civil War), but also Civil Wars are generally horrific, so I am not sure how that is a great way to minimize it... So far the war has been going on for a month (exactly today I think), and over 20K have died (and those are the conservative numbers from both sides -both Ukraine and Russia have a vested interest in lowering death rates so conservative numbers from rates that are probably already conservative-) [And, this is deaths, not injuries).

Your assertion seems to be its a civil war because most people on both sides are the same race and ethnicity (at least in your perception), but this is an absurd train of thought (by that logic all Middle East wars are Civil Wars because most people on both sides look Arab....) The perceived race of soldiers is totally irrelevant.

Compare this to the Gulf War where Sadam tried to annex Kuwait, and it went on for six months (with many countries heavily involved). About 35K to be on the moderate- above moderate side (again all deaths from all sides, Iraq, Kuwait, Coalition, Civilians, etc....) [Again I am taking the conservative side for Ukraine, and the slightly above moderate side for the Gulf War, so this is being super balanced]. 20k in one month 35k in six months.

So the invasion of Ukraine is pretty unpresented to have such a high death rate in just a month. It may be the reality of two developed countries at war in Urban environments as opposed to a more spread out field (Yes Iraq had some City operations).

The media did not brainwash me, I do my own research, and most of what I truly care about are from government sites (I don't watch TV news at all other than random YouTube clips).

You are repeatedly trying to minimize something that is horrific and a big deal (statistically and geopolitically). If you don't care that is fine (well its not, but its expected), but we don't constantly need to hear about how much you don't care while making wild assertions. Again, you make a big thing about blocking threads that don't interest you (and so far it seems your only motivation in this thread is to say how much you don't care and how irrelevant this is).... So its probably best if you follow the trend with this thread.
March 24th, 2022 at 3:34:20 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Is humorous that the media has brainwashed you into thinking Ukraine and Russia are not equally corrupt and evil. Russia is Ukraine and Ukraine is Russia in almost every conceivable way.

What, have you been eating hallucionogenic mushrooms with your dinner, EB?

Must be, to be so very, very wrong.

Ukraine has long disliked Russia; Stalin slaughtered lots of Ukrainians pre-WWII causing such antipathy that when the Nazis invaded the Ukrainians embraced the Nazis as liberators.

Would they have done that if they loved Russians?

But yeah, they're ethnically close, but so what?

Ukraine became independent over thirty years ago; Russia has zero claim of right or at law to invade and destroy Ukraine.

I sometimes think the only viable solution is to destroy Russia with a pre-emptive first strike, but it would be risky.
March 24th, 2022 at 4:21:03 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
If Scott Adams really said that, then my opinion of his political thoughts lowered. Again, he should stick with comics.

People listen to Scott Adams???????
WTF
Why
Charles Schultz may have had political opinions but I wasn't going to listen to them. Who cares.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 24th, 2022 at 6:23:39 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: ams288
Is it true that Hunter Biden funded biolabs in Ukraine?!

That’s apparently what the QAnon crazies are peddling today.

OMG

Wasn’t there a study recently that said the average Fox viewer is less informed than someone who watches no news at all?

Can’t. Imagine. Why.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 24th, 2022 at 6:39:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
If Scott Adams really said that, then my opinion of his political thoughts lowered. Again, he should stick with comics. Ukraine does not need more propaganda; Russia is doing a good enough job making everyone hate them. .

This is as far as I read, I deleted the rest without reading it. Are you sure you're not really a college freshman, come on man. Because that's how you come across a lot of the time. Anyway I don't have the time or the patience for it, just continue to plod along and you'll figure things out eventually. Or not. I'm betting on not..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 24th, 2022 at 6:46:08 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Has there been any disclosure about what the West will do when and if Putin is either assassinated, resigns, or is overthrown by his own people?

With him out of the way "Putin's War" should quickly end.

The West might do well to let the Russian people know that if Putin is dead, resigns or is deposed then "normalcy" will be restored very quickly.

The world needs a viable Russia as part of the global economic network in the long run.

But then there's the issue of who will pay to rebuild Ukraine, i.e. will the West be able to force Russia to make reparations as part of the deal to return to normalcy?
March 25th, 2022 at 12:36:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
Here's my prediction for Ukraine. It's going to be a yawner ending. If Russia does not end up taking all of Ukraine, they will occupy a good chunk of it and they will never leave. Russia will have it's land bridge to the Black Sea which is probably all they really wanted in the first place. Putin will never use a nuke because that would make the place worthless. Look at Chernobyl, that whole area is unlivable. You can visit there but you can't stay very long because everything is polluted with radiation. The one thing we know for certain that's going on in Ukraine is we don't know what's going on in Ukraine. It makes no common sense that with the resources and the size of the army that Russia has that they will lose this. That would be like Texas beating the United States in a war. Right now it's a war of propaganda and we don't know who is really winning. In Germany in 1945 the German people were being told every day they were winning the war right up until Hitler killed himself in his bunker. You never know what really happened until the winners decide what to tell you and what to leave out.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 25th, 2022 at 11:20:03 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
This is as far as I read, I deleted the rest without reading it. Are you sure you're not really a college freshman, come on man. Because that's how you come across a lot of the time. Anyway I don't have the time or the patience for it, just continue to plod along and you'll figure things out eventually. Or not. I'm betting on not..

I guess I don't meet your high bar of being a comic book author or college dropout social media personailty, to be qualified to have an opinion on a foriegn affairs topic that involves NATO interests.

Oh well, I guess you can concentrate on crucial issues in a mature way, since Ukraine does not concern you, like finding the fake ballots for President Poopy Pants.
March 25th, 2022 at 11:44:07 AM permalink
Evenbob
I guess I don't meet your high bar

You don't even meet my low bar let alone my high bar. The media has shaped your brain so that you are now the perfect liberal tool. Thank God you are in a huge minority or we would be in serious trouble.
March 25th, 2022 at 11:56:44 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
One possible out for Putin since he delivers the news to his people is to declare Ukraine sufficiently “denazified” then start withdrawing.

Not a perfect solution, but I don’t think there is one.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?