Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade?

June 24th, 2022 at 10:05:43 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Quote: Evenbob
There never should have been Roe versus Wade because this has always been a state-by-state issue. This was bound to happen it might as well happen now. I don't see what the big deal is because most States are going to allow abortions.

Sure. I’m suspicious anything controversial that happens other than shootings is all part of Joe’s plan though. Hello court packing.
June 25th, 2022 at 3:28:13 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Susan Collins whining about being told precedents would not be easily overturned is just silliness. I have not heard a nominee say they would never do it. They give them lots of weight, but they can be overturned.

The nominees are thoroughly vetted. You know pretty much about where they stand. You get basically the same answers from all of them on how they will do their work.

What did she really think would happen since even RBG knew Roe was judicially a weak decision?

Maybe work on a law to address the issue before it comes to this point?
June 25th, 2022 at 4:46:06 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Now that the issue has been given back to the people to decide, it will speed the demise of the Republican Party.

Just like in 2020, we're going to see daily violent protests across the nation, right up to election day.

So much for the 'Red Wave'.
June 25th, 2022 at 4:47:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: rquiredusername
Seems like allowing the states to vote for themselves on this is pretty democratic, especially given the complaints that nine unelected officials shouldn’t legislate.

Why? It's not like voting whether you pay for a new bridge or stadium, or put up with a noxious chemical plant, or allow smoking in some areas. It just makes people drive out of state. You don't have to get one if you don't want one. And, as of now, you still can't stop anyone determined to get one.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 25th, 2022 at 4:50:07 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: rxwine
Why? It's not like voting whether you pay for a new bridge or stadium, or put up with a noxious chemical plant, or allow smoking in some areas. It just makes people drive out of state. You don't have to get one if you don't want one. And, as of now, you still can't stop anyone determined to get one.

Why should it be up to the Supreme Court…in 1973 or 2022?
June 25th, 2022 at 5:06:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tanko
Now that the issue has been given back to the people to decide, it will speed the demise of the Republican Party.

Just like in 2020, we're going to see daily violent protests across the nation, right up to election day.

So much for the 'Red Wave'.

Doubtful. The people who care already vote Democrat no matter what. The average person cares about $5 gas not abortion.
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2022 at 5:10:48 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
Why would you, you've made it obvious you care about absolutely nothing. Somebody makes a post that says they like something you'll go out of your way to say how much you don't like it. It's all a front for major insecurities but I don't care.

Obviously you do care because you are commenting on it. Your post stated that a third party had an experience, mine is not hearsay it is personal.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 25th, 2022 at 5:19:48 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC
Why should it be up to the Supreme Court…in 1973 or 2022?

If you vote a law in that you can have x or not have x, how is that making a decision for you? You can have x or not have x. Start throwing women in prison if you believe it's murder. If it's not murder, what are you harping about? Support a decent amount of prison time like some others. Make us go down the Taliban road.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 25th, 2022 at 5:20:27 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: DRich
Obviously you do care because you are commenting on it. Your post stated that a third party had an experience, mine is not hearsay it is personal.

There are a few members here who use that old saw all the time. They say that they don’t care about an issue while either commenting or demeaning a poster. Some of them do it more than they actually posting anything worthwhile in most threads. I guess it makes them feel morally superior; mostly it just makes them look like idiots. Why would you comment if you don’t care about an issue?
June 25th, 2022 at 5:27:43 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: rxwine
If you vote a law in that you can have x or not have x, how is that making a decision for you? You can have x or not have x. Start throwing women in prison if you believe it's murder. If it's not murder, what are you harping about? Support a decent amount of prison time like some others. Make us go down the Taliban road.

I’m not harping, I am discussing.

I am not sure why so many refuse to see that the original decision in Roe was weak at best. The States should have settled this issue years ago. That is where it always belonged. Presidents have had large enough majorities to pass a Federal statute; they chose not to do it. It isn’t like this is solely a Supreme Court issue.

I think some of the support for abortion waned when they started making elective abortions legal up until birth. That makes for an ugly picture of the practice. I think the first 15 weeks is something many states will get onboard with…some will not.

I have not said it is murder; I ponder when life begins. I don’t want anyone tossed in jail. Mostly, that is a weak argument that does not address the vast majority of people. Perhaps it addresses some.