Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade?

June 25th, 2022 at 5:45:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC
I’m not harping, I am discussing.

I am not sure why so many refuse to see that the original decision in Roe was weak at best. The States should have settled this issue years ago. That is where it always belonged. Presidents have had large enough majorities to pass a Federal statute; they chose not to do it. It isn’t like this is solely a Supreme Court issue.

I think some of the support for abortion waned when they started making elective abortions legal up until birth. That makes for an ugly picture of the practice. I think the first 15 weeks is something many states will get onboard with…some will not.

I have not said it is murder; I ponder when life begins. I don’t want anyone tossed in jail. Mostly, that is a weak argument that does not address the vast majority of people. Perhaps it addresses some.

Which state made elective abortions legal up to birth? That's on demand, for no medical reason.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 25th, 2022 at 5:52:02 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
Which state made elective abortions legal up to birth? That's on demand, for no medical reason.

https://www.axios.com/2022/05/14/abortion-state-laws-bans-roe-supreme-court
June 25th, 2022 at 6:49:58 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Why? It's not like voting whether you pay for a new bridge or stadium, or put up with a noxious chemical plant, or allow smoking in some areas. It just makes people drive out of state. You don't have to get one if you don't want one. And, as of now, you still can't stop anyone determined to get one.

I’m not sure why you’re asking me. I’m not complaining about it, many people are complaining that they decide. And they are not elected by the people.
June 25th, 2022 at 7:04:26 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Roughly 1 in 50 pregnancies is ectopic ( in the fallopian tubes) and CANNOT result in the birth of a live baby. If not aborted, the probability of the death of the mother is very significant.

https://www.verywellfamily.com/what-do-statistics-look-like-for-ectopic-pregnancy-2371730

So Your Supreme court potentially criminalises the saving of that mother's life in the interest of letting a non-viable fetus exert it's right to kill her?

I'm not advocating a right to abortion right up to birth, only that medical science and not a bunch of religious (insert offensive term, plural) should decide on a case by case basis.

Your constitution was supposed to separate State from religion? Why are all the religious zealots rejoicing at this ruling? Because they won?
What next? Ban contraception? Ban homosexuality? Ban same sex marriage? Ban masturbation, Enforce Circumcision? Enforce FGM?

Has the Taliban taken over your country?

When will the Majority tell the Minority to **** off and stop making these decisions?
Is this ruling going to have the appropriate seismic impact on your so called democracy? Are women allowed the right to bear arms, because there's a lot of them going to be p155ed off by this.
June 25th, 2022 at 7:33:05 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: OnceDear
... Are women allowed the right to bear arms, because there's a lot of them going to be p155ed off by this.

Our gun laws do allow us to shoot school kids easier than knocking off a fetus in the womb.

Because weapons are very important.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 25th, 2022 at 8:04:16 AM permalink
RonC
Our gun laws do allow us to shoot school kids easier than knocking off a fetus in the womb.

Because weapons are very important.

Well…I bet there won’t be 600,000 school kids shot this year…. Even with the number of states banning or limiting abortion, there will still be a lot of abortions in the next year.

Abortions are legal…and going to stay legal…in many states across the country.

The ruling did not ban abortion anywhere. States can make laws.
June 25th, 2022 at 8:08:50 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: OnceDear
Roughly 1 in 50 pregnancies is ectopic ( in the fallopian tubes) and CANNOT result in the birth of a live baby. If not aborted, the probability of the death of the mother is very significant.

https://www.verywellfamily.com/what-do-statistics-look-like-for-ectopic-pregnancy-2371730

So Your Supreme court potentially criminalises the saving of that mother's life in the interest of letting a non-viable fetus exert it's right to kill her?

I'm not advocating a right to abortion right up to birth, only that medical science and not a bunch of religious (insert offensive term, plural) should decide on a case by case basis.

Your constitution was supposed to separate State from religion? Why are all the religious zealots rejoicing at this ruling? Because they won?
What next? Ban contraception? Ban homosexuality? Ban same sex marriage? Ban masturbation, Enforce Circumcision? Enforce FGM?

Has the Taliban taken over your country?

When will the Majority tell the Minority to **** off and stop making these decisions?
Is this ruling going to have the appropriate seismic impact on your so called democracy? Are women allowed the right to bear arms, because there's a lot of them going to be p155ed off by this.

What extreme fear mongering. You would make a good MSM reporter. Of course MSM is where you get your opinions.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 25th, 2022 at 8:11:53 AM permalink
RonC
Many states had laws limiting or banning abortion at the time of Roe. The state’s voters elected lawmakers who made those laws. The Supreme Court made a ruling, now overturned, which attempted to make a constitutional right out of thin air.

The power now goes back to the states to make laws as they see fit…the voters can change their representation and laws now on the books can change. The U S Congress could address the issue at some point.

Isn’t that how issues not enumerated in the Constitution are supposed to be handled?

I guess Biden could also move to pack the court and look to get a new ruling. Moves like that tend to backfire at some point. I don’t think he has the votes to do it right now.
June 25th, 2022 at 8:28:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: RonC
Many states had laws limiting or banning abortion at the time of Roe. The state’s voters elected lawmakers who made those laws. The Supreme Court made a ruling, now overturned, which attempted to make a constitutional right out of thin air.

The power now goes back to the states to make laws as they see fit…the voters can change their representation and laws now on the books can change. The U S Congress could address the issue at some point.

Isn’t that how issues not enumerated in the Constitution are supposed to be handled?

I guess Biden could also move to pack the court and look to get a new ruling. Moves like that tend to backfire at some point. I don’t think he has the votes to do it right now.

Like Thomas said, this concerns more than just abortion unenumerated rights. Should heterosexual marriages be the only ones legal in all states?

(obviously some people here will say yes, heh)
June 25th, 2022 at 8:41:43 AM permalink
RonC
Like Thomas said, this concerns more than just abortion unenumerated rights. Should heterosexual marriages be the only ones legal in all states?

(obviously some people here will say yes, heh)

The others did not seem to agree with him, so I don’t see much chance of his position becoming that of the Court.