Should Trans People be allowed to use opposite sex bathrooms?

Thread Rating:

August 25th, 2022 at 12:15:40 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I was prepared to say 'here is a story that the media isn't giving you' ...except that this article is from the NY Times!

important points: killed a woman in '65 and in '85, keeps getting released on probation, and now again charged with killing another woman. Transgendered man to woman now, I'll call her a trans-faker, just to displease Once Dear if nothing else. Ha. If convicted will definitely insist on being put in a woman's prison, I have to think

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/30/nyregion/how-did-a-two-time-killer-get-out-to-be-charged-again-at-age-83.html
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 25th, 2022 at 5:46:31 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
If somebody is getting trans gender care. Doesn't effect my life in the least.
Yet Tucker is livid and approves terrorizing hospitals and doctors saying these people are criminals.
Any comment from Dr Soopoo on this hate from the right.

https://www.advocate.com/news/2022/9/23/tucker-carlson-says-hospitals-should-expect-threats-over-trans-care
The Fox News entertainer says that those who provide gender-affirming care should expect threats, and an Ohio hospital is the latest to experience just that.
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/09/22/tucker-carlson-bomb-threats-hospital-trans-healthcare/
Tucker Carlson says hospitals ‘play the victim’ if they receive bomb threats over trans healthcare
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 25th, 2022 at 8:43:56 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
If somebody is getting trans gender care. Doesn't effect my life in the least.
Yet Tucker is livid and approves terrorizing hospitals and doctors saying these people are criminals.
Any comment from Dr Soopoo on this hate from the right.

https://www.advocate.com/news/2022/9/23/tucker-carlson-says-hospitals-should-expect-threats-over-trans-care
The Fox News entertainer says that those who provide gender-affirming care should expect threats, and an Ohio hospital is the latest to experience just that.
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/09/22/tucker-carlson-bomb-threats-hospital-trans-healthcare/
Tucker Carlson says hospitals ‘play the victim’ if they receive bomb threats over trans healthcare

Dr SOOPOO has been involved with (dozens?) of sex reassignment surgeries. We had a very few partners who would refuse to be involved. I have always felt that it was just an informed consent issue. Although the concept is really difficult to wrap my head around, if the consenting adult wants this done then I am 100% ok with it. Frankly, from an anesthesia standpoint, they were amongst my easiest cases. Tended to be young healthy patients having long surgeries not involving ‘important’ parts (physiologically) like heart, brain, liver, etc…. Generally little blood loss as well!

My younger son just got married. One of his bridesmaids was a male friend of his in college. Why do anything to limit her happiness? With few exceptions, why not accept her as a she? (I make the exception for most sports, where birth gender confers an advantage to biological males).
September 25th, 2022 at 9:39:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
most of us agree with this I think, Soopoo, though I for one like to leave much of it out of my own life as much as possible

on the other hand, there is evidence very young people with mere anxiety about life are being led down a dubious path ... being told they have this anxiety because they were born female but really were supposed to be a guy.* 9 years old and stuff like that. Of course, all that is needed to come across boatloads of such advice is access to the internet. I hate to say it, but I suspect certain medical operations as viewing it as an outlet for advocacy ... and even just to make a buck

* the most typical situation, I am told
September 25th, 2022 at 10:33:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
most of us agree with this I think, Soopoo, though I for one like to leave much of it out of my own life as much as possible

on the other hand, there is evidence very young people with mere anxiety about life are being led down a dubious path ... being told they have this anxiety because they were born female but really were supposed to be a guy.* 9 years old and stuff like that. Of course, all that is needed to come across boatloads of such advice is access to the internet. I hate to say it, but I suspect certain medical operations as viewing it as an outlet for advocacy ... and even just to make a buck

* the most typical situation, I am told

I extend “lead down a dubious path” to all sorts of groups. I don’t think a parent forcing a kid into “homosexual cure camp” is good either. Or taking their kids to a Jim jones style cult in a remote area. Or raising them in a polygamous sect in Utah. Or becoming a billion year slave in Scientology.

Even if I had the power to prevent all that happening, should I be able to as a non-parent of some random kid?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 25th, 2022 at 11:44:40 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Just curious. Are sex reassignment surgeries, hormones frequently covered by health insurance policies?

If so I kinda have more than a bit of a problem with everyone else’s insurance subsidizing what amount to lifestyle choices. But I guess no more of a problem than I have subsidizing sugar/carb addiction or smokers, all lifestyle choices subsidized by those making more responsible choices on the average.
September 25th, 2022 at 1:11:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO

My younger son just got married. One of his bridesmaids was a male friend of his in college. Why do anything to limit her happiness? With few exceptions, why not accept her as a she? (I make the exception for most sports, where birth gender confers an advantage to biological males).

I have always wondered how a doctor can do this operation and not violate "first, do no harm."

As to "limit happiness" there are a few problems. A big one is what is the long-term "happiness?" The trans community does anything to stop the stories about how the depression these people often have. Instead of treating the mental issues the mental issues the current thinking seems to be bring out the scalpel. But it is like a person who is depressed saying they will move to a new city. If other underlying issues are not taken care of they are just depressed in a new city, but depressed worse since they now know nobody there.

I continue to maintain that there is a bigger issue of male problems. The sheer imbalance of MTF vs FTM operations says something is wrong with our men. Instead of so many operations we should be looking closer at this. We will not be better as a society with more and more men walking around thinking they are women.
The President is a fink.
September 25th, 2022 at 3:09:37 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Dr SOOPOO has been involved with (dozens?) of sex reassignment surgeries. We had a very few partners who would refuse to be involved. I have always felt that it was just an informed consent issue. Although the concept is really difficult to wrap my head around, if the consenting adult wants this done then I am 100% ok with it. Frankly, from an anesthesia standpoint, they were amongst my easiest cases. Tended to be young healthy patients having long surgeries not involving ‘important’ parts (physiologically) like heart, brain, liver, etc…. Generally little blood loss as well!

Damnit Soopoo, you are always so informed, well spoken, and polite on controversial topics. Do you not understand how these forums work?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 25th, 2022 at 3:46:44 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: SOOPOO-My younger son just got married. One of his bridesmaids was a male friend of his in college. Why do anything to limit her happiness? With few exceptions, why not accept her as a she? [/q

Some object for ostensibly religious reasons, but that seems very specious.

No, most object because it upsets their world view and goes against what they consider the natural order of things.

Unfortunately third rate politicians have grasped the issue in an attempt to draw attention to themselves.

Live and let live, says the libertarian.
September 25th, 2022 at 5:32:24 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: missedhervee
My younger son just got married. One of his bridesmaids was a male friend of his in college. Why do anything to limit her happiness? With few exceptions, why not accept her as a she?

Some object for ostensibly religious reasons, but that seems very specious.

No, most object because it upsets their world view and goes against what they consider the natural order of things.
yep, that's me. Is it just me? Maybe, though I have to tell you the most woke people I know might put on a show of acceptance, "see how virtuous I am as long as it's the in thing?" ... meanwhile gossiping like hell about it with seeming disapproval like hell amongst those they trust.

Quote:
Unfortunately third rate politicians have grasped the issue in an attempt to draw attention to themselves.
and others

Quote:
Live and let live, says the libertarian.
Yes. But don't try to kid me either