Should Trans People be allowed to use opposite sex bathrooms?

Thread Rating:

June 3rd, 2023 at 11:50:25 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Some could probably argue according to their beliefs that children should be protected from vaccinations by their parents or anyone trying to jab them just as easily as anything else here.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 3rd, 2023 at 12:43:45 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Actually I thought about this and blood transfusion refusal to children by some Jehovah's witnesses. And even whether someone 100 years ago discovering native tribe practicing cannibalism should force their beliefs onto the natives about it immediately.

I don't know the defining line for lots a things. I think we can argue in gray areas better than elsewhere though. I don't know if 18 is a firm adult line. Obviously not for some but for others. I've heard slight cosmetic female circumcision might work as a compromise It removes such a small a amount, you both meet the the requirement without causing the negative effect.

The thing is I'm on the side of letting people decide to do something or not as much as possible if it's mostly about them or their children. People like to control their own children as much as possible. Do we call it slavery, even though it technically pretty much could be?

You want black an white answers here, I can't say.

Yes people who want to perform life altering and damaging procedures to their children should lose control. Anyone who refuses their child a life saving blood transfusion because of religion should not have their kids.

FGM is terrible and there is no "compromise" that is acceptable. Frankly I don't even think parents should circumcise male babies (this should be the decision of the individual when they become of age), but this is a less pressing issue.
June 3rd, 2023 at 1:55:53 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
Frankly I don't even think parents should circumcise male babies (this should be the decision of the individual when they become of age), but this is a less pressing issue.

Not sure how you arrive at this. I was circumcised as a baby and many if not most of my generation were. It wasn't for religious reasons but doctors then recommended it because you would have fewer infections and problems with your penis. This fact still holds up now. That is likely even the reason that some religions made circumcision part of the religion because they saw the results were fewer infections. Many so called religious practices hold up under scientific scrutiny, the most obvious being incest is unhealthy for any small society.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 3rd, 2023 at 2:16:58 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
gotta catch up later starting with Mission's post, in the meantime

Quote: rquiredusername
Quote: odiousgambit
well, it's convenient to have a Trans thread already going

very unconvincing input from RXwine

OK so I'll let you know what set me off. Somebody I know posted in Facebook the below symbol. He does belong to this union and I think they've given him some kind of lower-down leadership position. He, a father of 4, feels compelled to support union initiatives so he posts this. For reasons I don't want to go into, I prefer not to blast him for it. But I want to, so instead I'm taking it out on you [ie those here who disagree with me that this is basically like posting a swastika]

[not posting that swastika raised fist again]

Lol. I could always be pleasantly surprised and be wrong, but I doubt that was chosen by a vote among all union members.
Maybe so, that would mean either

* this guy has come out of the closet, gay............ surprise! and also created his own image to use
* the union leadership is pushing this and allowed the use of their name and symbol, without caring what the membership thinks
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 3rd, 2023 at 4:54:08 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: kenarman
Not sure how you arrive at this. I was circumcised as a baby and many if not most of my generation were. It wasn't for religious reasons but doctors then recommended it because you would have fewer infections and problems with your penis. This fact still holds up now. That is likely even the reason that some religions made circumcision part of the religion because they saw the results were fewer infections. Many so called religious practices hold up under scientific scrutiny, the most obvious being incest is unhealthy for any small society.

Why is it so rare in Australia, Europe, and Canada if it has nothing to do with religion? And, why is it so common in countries with Islamic and Judea-Christian principle? Or Asia?

Or why is it only America where this is such a common practice?
June 3rd, 2023 at 6:30:45 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Pretty sure the “fewer infections for circumcised” penises thing is a myth.

I’m pro-circumcising btw.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 4th, 2023 at 3:25:18 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: ams288
Pretty sure the “fewer infections for circumcised” penises thing is a myth.

I’m pro-circumcising btw.

It's debatable at best, there are studies in both directions.

But, the simple truth is it exists because of religious history not for medical reasons.
June 4th, 2023 at 7:27:33 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
It's debatable at best, there are studies in both directions.

But, the simple truth is it exists because of religious history not for medical reasons.

Why did it become part of some religions. Did they do it to be mean? It was much more likely that they first found that circumcision saved many infections and then got incorporated into the religion. The evidence is quite strong that it saves infections once you weed out the sites that have a political agenda for or against.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 4th, 2023 at 8:13:42 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: kenarman
Why did it become part of some religions. Did they do it to be mean? It was much more likely that they first found that circumcision saved many infections and then got incorporated into the religion. The evidence is quite strong that it saves infections once you weed out the sites that have a political agenda for or against.

In Judaism it is mandated by God. And those uncircumcised have less rights.

In Islam, Muhammad was born without foreskin (allegedly, but in reality he was probably circumcised) and followers must emulate, though it's not in the actual Koran, it is the accepted view to mandate circumcision in most strands of Islam.

Christianity it's actually not a mandate which is why it is so rare in Christian countries. And, it's also why it's so bizarre that it is so common in America a secular country with a Christian majority...... (Que the conspiracies about Jews having influence on policy).

You know who else wants to mandate circumcision of males? Dr. Fauci. And, I thought conservatives were against mandate advice from him? (his view is circumcision is a natural way to reduce HIV transmission in developing countries).

At the end of the day, I am against it being decided by parents (it should be a choice you make after becoming an adult man). But, I also don't think it's the most pressing issue. Female circumcision is much more troubling (and has zero medical justification, just exists for control).
June 4th, 2023 at 8:32:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
From the MAYO clinic. The last paragraph is why there is advantage medically as a baby. But there’s no way to obtain consent obviously at early age.

Quote:
For newborn circumcision, your son will lie on his back with his arms and legs restrained. After the penis and surrounding area are cleansed, an anesthetic will be injected into the base of the penis or applied to the penis as a cream. A special clamp or plastic ring will be attached to the penis, and the foreskin will be removed.

Afterward, the penis will be covered with an ointment, such as a topical antibiotic or petroleum jelly, and wrapped loosely with gauze. The procedure generally takes about 10 minutes.

Circumcision is similar for older boys and adults. However, the procedure might need to be done under general anesthesia, recovery might take longer and the risk of complications might be greater when done later in life.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?