2 votes (15.38%)
2 votes (15.38%)
No votes (0%)

13 members have voted

October 4th, 2023 at 7:18:08 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
I’d guess there are roughly ~200 Republican house members who would be happy to expel him.

It apparently may happen! We can only hope….
October 4th, 2023 at 8:15:33 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
Quote: GenoDRPh
"The fact remains the country would be better off had a few Dems just voted present if a few GOPers voted for McCarthy instead of against him." Fixed it for you. No need to thank me.

Were you gymnast in HS or college? Maybe a dancer or an acrobat? Your doing a fantastic job twisting yourself all up in knots trying to blame the Dems for the GOP's chaos.

You just can’t see what is plain in front of your face. The stupid system of choosing a speaker allows for a fringe group of either party, in this case the Republicans with Gaetz and his cabal, to make this happen. But it can ONLY happen if the Dems allow it. And they did.

Yes, the country would be better off without the looney Right representatives. Were you wearing blinders like a horse in high school? Or have you learned to only see what you want to see since then?

I still haven’t seen a conservative offer up a good explanation for why Dems should have saved McCarthy.

“For the good of the country” - what does that even mean?

Dems think the country is much better off without McCarthy as speaker.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 4th, 2023 at 8:26:30 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I'm actually going to have to agree with ams288 on this one.

Why should the Democrats stand in the way of Republicans demonstrating how politically dysfunctional they are?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 4th, 2023 at 8:56:23 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Mission146
I'm actually going to have to agree with ams288 on this one.

Why should the Democrats stand in the way of Republicans demonstrating how politically dysfunctional they are?

Because at the end of the next shit show there will be a Republican Speaker. Probably more similar to McCarthey than different. Now there will be days/weeks/months? with absolutely no business of the country accomplished by the House. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

Of course the Republicans are dysfunctional. They had a guy who overcame that dysfunctionality to come to a bipartisan agreement to prevent the default. He did his job. OF COURSE it is more the fault of the crazies on the far Right. But the Dems had the opportunity to put country first, and as ALWAYS, they did not.

Simple question….. is it better for the country to have a Speaker who negotiated a deal that had overwhelming Republican and Democrat support, or the dozens of silly votes to pick a new speaker (who may be LESS willing to make a compromise with the Dems). And the gridlock that occurs during the process?

I think I’m saying the same easy to understand, easy to see is true, points. It’s really not complicated.
October 4th, 2023 at 8:59:33 AM permalink
SOOPOO
I didn’t directly answer your question. But this is why…

They were NOT elected to let the Republicans show how dysfunctional they are. They were elected to get the work of the country done.
October 4th, 2023 at 9:11:02 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I didn’t directly answer your question. But this is why…

They were NOT elected to let the Republicans show how dysfunctional they are. They were elected to get the work of the country done.

Cool. Wake me up if they ever start doing that. Never have. They were just much better at pretending before.

Now, they see that divisiveness draws eyeballs. Good for them, good for campaign donations, good for news outlets, etc. The bigger your star, the more you can get for public speaking appearances if you ever do decide to leave the s4!+$h0w that is our pathetic excuse for Government.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 4th, 2023 at 9:15:31 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Because at the end of the next shit show there will be a Republican Speaker. Probably more similar to McCarthey than different. Now there will be days/weeks/months? with absolutely no business of the country accomplished by the House. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

Of course the Republicans are dysfunctional. They had a guy who overcame that dysfunctionality to come to a bipartisan agreement to prevent the default. He did his job. OF COURSE it is more the fault of the crazies on the far Right. But the Dems had the opportunity to put country first, and as ALWAYS, they did not.

Simple question….. is it better for the country to have a Speaker who negotiated a deal that had overwhelming Republican and Democrat support, or the dozens of silly votes to pick a new speaker (who may be LESS willing to make a compromise with the Dems). And the gridlock that occurs during the process?

I think I’m saying the same easy to understand, easy to see is true, points. It’s really not complicated.

That's probably the idea, right? They let McCarthy get ousted, government's funded, now they can do virtually nothing for the next several weeks and then it's time for holiday break. They basically get the rest of the year off; that's not to imply that what they do could ever be mistaken for actual work or for being for the benefit of the people.

They don't put it first; the Far Right doesn't put it first...dude, nobody gives a shizz. I'm disengaged myself, unless there's a Civil War, then I just figure I have to kill at least two of them to be victorious because there's only one of me they can kill. Maybe burn down a church or two. That's in the context of a lawfully declared war, obviously.

What's, 'better?' Nothing. Either nothing really gets accomplished or nothing really gets accomplished. The Government shutdown didn't happen, just as I said it wouldn't and was basically just threatened to the last minute to keep people talking about them, just as I said it was.

That out of the way, it's time for the new attention-keeping thing.
October 4th, 2023 at 9:32:41 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
McCarthy set up a terrible deal to get the job. You don’t put your neck in a noose, sit on the horse, to take even the best job in the world and let your opponent decide when he’s going to whip the horse. He has to have more restrictions than that.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 4th, 2023 at 10:21:28 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: rxwine
McCarthy set up a terrible deal to get the job. You don’t put your neck in a noose, sit on the horse, to take even the best job in the world and let your opponent decide when he’s going to whip the horse. He has to have more restrictions than that.

This!

Most positions require 2/3 or3/4 or something like that to remove. Like impeachment. Not 50% +1 when 48% (The Dems) are armed and loaded against you! I wonder if he resigns from the house to take cushy TV job?
October 4th, 2023 at 11:09:53 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I wonder if he resigns from the house to take cushy TV job?

The Paul Ryan route.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman