In the News II

September 26th, 2023 at 12:00:08 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: DRich
Smart move by Biden for visiting the UAW picket line. That will help support his midwestern base voters.

He only did that because last week, Trump announced he would visit the striking workers on Sept 27th.

'Biden announced Friday he would travel to Detroit to “join the picket line and stand in solidarity” with the UAW. The announcement came after Trump’s campaign revealed plans for Trump to give a speech to autoworkers Wednesday instead of attending the second GOP presidential debate.'

"Trump said in a statement on Tuesday that Biden’s “draconian and indefensible Electric Vehicle mandate will annihilate the U.S. auto industry and cost countless thousands of autoworkers their jobs.”.
September 26th, 2023 at 12:25:56 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Tanko
He only did that because last week, Trump announced he would visit the striking workers on Sept 27th.

'Biden announced Friday he would travel to Detroit to “join the picket line and stand in solidarity” with the UAW. The announcement came after Trump’s campaign revealed plans for Trump to give a speech to autoworkers Wednesday instead of attending the second GOP presidential debate.'

"Trump said in a statement on Tuesday that Biden’s “draconian and indefensible Electric Vehicle mandate will annihilate the U.S. auto industry and cost countless thousands of autoworkers their jobs.”.

Good. They aren't worth what they're being paid as it is. American car companies had already failed the country when they decided it was no longer necessary to produce affordable coupes and sedans that could actually be counted on to go 100k miles.

As far as the other vehicle types, they aren't worth half of what they cost...and they only cost what they do because the UAW workers make more than they have ever deserved to even before this strike. I hope all of their jobs get shipped to Mexico.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 26th, 2023 at 12:38:08 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee
Yet it will antagonize those who are pro-big business.

He's the first president to visit a picket line: very dangerous move, politically.

I disagree. I grew up in a town where the largest employer was a Ford plant. The blue collar workers will fall all over him and vote for him.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 26th, 2023 at 12:39:27 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

Donny is going to Drake Enterprises, a non-union truck parts supplier.

Probably to talk about whales and windmills…
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 26th, 2023 at 12:41:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146

Good. They aren't worth what they're being paid as it is. American car companies had already failed the country when they decided it was no longer necessary to produce affordable coupes and sedans that could actually be counted on to go 100k miles.

As far as the other vehicle types, they aren't worth half of what they cost...and they only cost what they do because the UAW workers make more than they have ever deserved to even before this strike. I hope all of their jobs get shipped to Mexico.

ai and automation are going to drive their jobs more and more out of existence. I don't know if there is a lot that can't be automated in a manufacturing plant. Humans for unusual situations, supervisory and some QA roles most likely.

I'm really curious how our political class will address potential working rights for humans.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 26th, 2023 at 12:46:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Why hire 10 humans if one machine can do the work?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 26th, 2023 at 1:26:36 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine

ai and automation are going to drive their jobs more and more out of existence. I don't know if there is a lot that can't be automated in a manufacturing plant. Humans for unusual situations, supervisory and some QA roles most likely.

I'm really curious how our political class will address potential working rights for humans.

(Quote clipped, quote-in-quote removed)

It's not just their jobs; it's going to be most peoples' jobs, sooner or later.

The first phase is that humans become unnecessary for the performance of most physical tasks. That aspect of things has already started and is decades deep into the process, but as technology improves, robotics are eventually going to be able to accomplish the tasks that it was once taken for granted you needed a human to do.

When it comes to intellectual/entertainment pursuits, AI will eventually be superior to most people and, as you said, we'll only be needed for unusual situations. I guess that's part of the issue with SAG/writers strikes is that they want to codified that there is to be no AI doing their jobs. I would venture that they'll get that, for the time being, but only because the AI is not yet good enough to produce a decent entertainment product, as yet.

That basically leaves computer programming, design jobs and some manufacturing. Of course, artificial intelligence will eventually get good enough that it can handle all non-unique tasks in these regards, as well as some programming.

Assuming the politicians do anything at all, which isn't something I would take for granted, I wouldn't expect them to actually act until the economic situation, for most people, has become an unrecoverable disaster. Eventually, I think there might be a transition into a society that is simply without currency, but we won't live long enough to see it and there are going to be some really tough decades, that we might live to see, before it happens.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 26th, 2023 at 1:38:28 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
The remaining vehicle mfrs. in the rust belt should move to the union-hostile south and go non-union and embrace AI and full automation.
September 26th, 2023 at 1:58:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I disagree. I grew up in a town where the largest employer was a Ford plant. The blue collar workers will fall all over him and vote for him.

He has the union vote anyhow. The guy who reads that the uaw said $140000 is not enough will not like him for it.
The President is a fink.
September 26th, 2023 at 2:22:28 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: ams288
We are now up to 12 Dem senators calling for him to resign, including (most importantly, IMO) his fellow NJ Senator Cory Booker.

If Menendez is proven guilty of even a fraction of what he is charged with, the dude is a big knucklehead who isn't even smart enough to cover up his crimes. What a dope.