In the News II

September 27th, 2023 at 8:08:30 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
In the 70s the first apple computer would still be a marvel of new tech.

But dumb machinery has been around for quite awhile

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 27th, 2023 at 10:12:48 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: kenarman
The problem is that robots will be making the robots. Humans will soon be obsolete.

Absolutely not. Robots could assemble robots but not design and program them. We just need to keep educating people so our country remains ahead in technology. I would rather have robots assembling everything as opposed to sending it all to China to assemble like we have the last 20 years.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 27th, 2023 at 11:34:21 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Mission146
Good. They aren't worth what they're being paid as it is.

According to CNN, veteran UAW workers earn $32 per hour.

Considering compounded inflation since Jan 1, 2020 is around 20% and has eroded their paychecks, what do you think they should be paid?

These workers produce gasoline engine vehicles. They were sold out by their union leaders who backed the candidate wants everyone to drive electric vehicles, which are made by non-union workers.

Meanwhile, while he wants to force everyone else into an expensive electric car, he never has a single electric vehicle in his 100 vehicle motorcade.
September 27th, 2023 at 11:40:49 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Tanko

Considering compounded inflation since Jan 1, 2020 is around 20% and has eroded their paychecks, what do you think they should be paid?

These workers produce gasoline engine vehicles. They were sold out by their union leaders who backed the candidate wants everyone to drive electric vehicles, which are made by non-union workers.

Meanwhile, while he wants to force everyone else into an expensive electric car, he never has a single electric vehicle in his 100 vehicle motorcade.

Certainly less than that plus the 40% increase UAW wants.

Also, they aren't being paid anything whilst the strike is ongoing. Don't forget about the inevitable layoffs that will come as a result.

I can tell you who WILL be making more money. UAW, as in, the entity.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 27th, 2023 at 3:21:37 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich
Absolutely not. Robots could assemble robots but not design and program them. We just need to keep educating people so our country remains ahead in technology. I would rather have robots assembling everything as opposed to sending it all to China to assemble like we have the last 20 years.

I agree with the original design but that could change. The programming of an assembly robot is done once it is in place by physically guiding it through it's function points. The on board universal basic program was done by a programmer but it's specific job function is learned on site.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 27th, 2023 at 3:21:37 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I have read everything from $32 an hour to $43 an hour. I am a believer that everyone is worth whatever someone will pay them. If they get $100 an hour, good for them.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 27th, 2023 at 3:50:24 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

I have read everything from $32 an hour to $43 an hour. I am a believer that everyone is worth whatever someone will pay them. If they get $100 an hour, good for them.

That would be true in a free market. It is not a free market once the government enacts union friendly laws.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 27th, 2023 at 3:51:42 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: kenarman

That would be true in a free market. It is not a free market once the government enacts union friendly laws.

Thank God for the government, then.
September 27th, 2023 at 3:52:16 PM permalink
GenoDRPh

The union isn't opposed to EVs, though.
September 27th, 2023 at 8:10:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
In early September, researchers Vikram Narayanan Dhamu, Nathan Kodjo Mintah Churcher, and Dr. Shalini Prasad of the University of Texas at Dallas announced the creation of CannibiSenS, a handheld saliva-based rapid test capable of accurately measuring a person's THC levels 94 percent of the time. The device took inspiration from at-home glucose readers used by diabetics.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?