In the News II

May 14th, 2023 at 2:42:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
How'd I miss this.

Saw a report today, stating 4 other reasons stores closing in downtown areas, 1) online shopping, 2)remote work,3)high rents 4) over expansion

What happened is someone somewhere said if he did not walk back the problem of theft they were going to try to cancel the company. Told him to get his mind right. There are groups out there who simply cannot let the truth about the shoplifting problem in some of these areas get out.
The President is a fink.
May 14th, 2023 at 9:24:25 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
‘Right to be let alone’: Montana Supreme Court unanimously extends abortion rights against latest GOP efforts, rejects ‘excessive governmental interference’ in women’s lives

The Montana Supreme Court unanimously extended abortion protections in the state on Friday – amid an ongoing effort by the GOP governor and legislators to erode women’s medical rights.

In a 7-0 decision, the Treasure State’s highest court sided with an advanced practice nurse practitioner and a clinician who challenged a 2005 law that restricted who could provide abortion services.

“Under Montana’s Constitution, the right of individual privacy—that is, the right of personal autonomy or the right to be let alone—is fundamental,” the court noted, citing precedent. “It is, perhaps, one of the most important rights guaranteed to the citizens of this State, and its separate textual protection in our Constitution reflects Montanans’ historical abhorrence and distrust of excessive governmental interference in their personal lives.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/right-to-be-let-alone-montana-supreme-court-unanimously-extends-abortion-rights-against-latest-gop-efforts-rejects-excessive-governmental-interference-in-women-s-lives/ar-AA1b9r06
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 17th, 2023 at 4:04:16 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://apnews.com/article/tiktok-ban-montana-325a33578a2bbfbe53e9c251d528c5fb
"Montana becomes 1st state to enact ban on TikTok; law likely to be challenged"

Right wing Montana nanny state just banned Tik tok
WTF
If you don't like it, don't use it
Who cares if China owns it
The kids love it
Let them have their fun and freedom
Unfortunately the nanny state says no
Let's see how this holds up in the courts
The right wing can be so ridiculous and absurd with their nanny state policies
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 17th, 2023 at 4:32:32 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
https://apnews.com/article/tiktok-ban-montana-325a33578a2bbfbe53e9c251d528c5fb
"Montana becomes 1st state to enact ban on TikTok; law likely to be challenged"

Right wing Montana nanny state just banned Tik tok
WTF
If you don't like it, don't use it
Who cares if China owns it
The kids love it
Let them have their fun and freedom
Unfortunately the nanny state says no
Let's see how this holds up in the courts
The right wing can be so ridiculous and absurd with their nanny state policies

I support this. This is an issue that Trump was right on. And, many Democrats are coming around to it (if anything, the Federal bill will be spearheaded by Dems), banning TikTok is probably a good thing. Just like China bans American apps in their country. We have to play their game to have a chance of domination.

Also, TikTok is, even by my standards, the most idiotic social media platform out there, even if it were U.S. owned, I don't see how it adds any value to anything. But, that is not a reason to ban it, it is just a reason to make me care even less about such bans. People insist on showing me Tiktok videos all through the day, I just find them weird and dull, I do not get the obsession. If bans were based purely on my taste, I would ban it by taste alone. But, there are tangible security, and trade war reasons to ban Tiktok that go way beyond Gandler's taste. And, it is far beyond time that we start striking back at China, especially after their handling of COVID. Plus, the fact that it is well established to be harvesting data for the Chinese (there is a reason virtually all governments ban its use on gov devices).
May 17th, 2023 at 4:48:29 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
"Shocking video shows NYC subway passenger putting unhinged man in deadly chokehold"

Manhattan DA has charged the passenger with Manslaughter.

Opinions?
May 17th, 2023 at 4:55:20 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Tanko
"Shocking video shows NYC subway passenger putting unhinged man in deadly chokehold"

Opinions?

My guess is the autopsy they are waiting on will show drugs and/or alcohol in his system.

My guess is this contributed to his death.

My guess is this will be glossed over in the media like a certain other case, and the man trying to protect the train will be made into a monster.

Just my guesses.
May 17th, 2023 at 4:57:13 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

Opinions?

Lock up the murderer. Throw away the key.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 17th, 2023 at 5:24:21 PM permalink
terapined

Opinions?

I heard about this case
I'm ok with the charge
I think his defense fund already has a gazillion dollars
Let's see where the case goes
No doubt he will have an excellent lawyer so he's getting a much much much better defense then any regular Joe.
My personal feeling
5 to 8 years
He took a life
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 17th, 2023 at 5:27:16 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Gandler
I support this. This is an issue that Trump was right on. And, many Democrats are coming around to it (if anything, the Federal bill will be spearheaded by Dems), banning TikTok is probably a good thing. Just like China bans American apps in their country. We have to play their game to have a chance of domination.

Also, TikTok is, even by my standards, the most idiotic social media platform out there, even if it were U.S. owned, I don't see how it adds any value to anything. But, that is not a reason to ban it, it is just a reason to make me care even less about such bans. People insist on showing me Tiktok videos all through the day, I just find them weird and dull, I do not get the obsession. If bans were based purely on my taste, I would ban it by taste alone. But, there are tangible security, and trade war reasons to ban Tiktok that go way beyond Gandler's taste. And, it is far beyond time that we start striking back at China, especially after their handling of COVID. Plus, the fact that it is well established to be harvesting data for the Chinese (there is a reason virtually all governments ban its use on gov devices).

I'm against any authority telling me what apps I can't use on MY PERSONAL DEVICE
It's anti freedom.
Different strokes for different folks
Don't like it then don't use it.
It should be as simple as that
Show the world and China that we are a beacon for freedom.
The power to ban apps is a very slippery slope. It's censorship. It could lead to banning apps simply due to politics.
May 17th, 2023 at 6:23:16 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: terapined
I'm against any authority telling me what apps I can't use.
It's anti freedom.
Different strokes for different folks
Don't like it then don't use it.
It should be as simple as that

What does the Chinese government do to apps that benefit the U.S.? This would not even be a debate in China, it would just disappear.

Normally I would agree, but this is more than an undesirable app (even as distasteful as Tiktok is). This is a matter of the Chinese government blatantly harvesting data. It's an issue of national and personal security.

It's not a left/right issue, many from both sides support a ban, and (sadly) many oppose it. It's a very mixed issue. But, I will always error on the side of caution when it comes to anything involving the Chinese gov.

I don't use any social media, and using Tiktok will be the last thing on my mind. But, sadly many Americans are obsessed with it. I just don't get it, even by social media standards it is stupid, it's 15 second clips of random nonsense, I will never see the appeal. Same reason Twitter is stupid (artificially making short text segments to keep your attention). Buy, this has the added negative of being owned by a terrible organization (Chinese gov).