Google: People Also Ask

June 14th, 2023 at 10:55:19 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: odiousgambit
as I remember, it was used in science and meant "approximate" ... as a shortcut you might say "at" which comes from usage like "at around 100" although now 'at' by itself I don't seem to use unless I include 'around' ? The question mark is there since I'm not sure everyone would agree about this
OK so if the 1536 history is correct, then the usage "each at" is the original, and anything about meaning "approximate" was alternate usage ... and the usage in dot com language is more derived from the original usage ... I was imagining the other

As for older folks using keyboards, someone in the family, passed away now, wanted to get more modern and use email and all, and decided, against advice, to take a course on computers at some college. Unfortunately, it was heavy stuff, programming I guess, unrelated to learning how to use a home computer. This was the way she approached things, taking a course like that. Of course what she signed up for totally discouraged her and she never used a home computer.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 14th, 2023 at 11:02:09 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Back in the day, I got my parents a subscription to WebTV. If you could use an up and down arrow on a remote you could navigate the screen. I think I may still have some webtv email from my mom in my email account.

Pretty much what would be every boring routine link now was cool and unique to pull up then. Probably 80 pixels resolution for the whole screen. (Just kidding on the screen but it was rudimentary)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 14th, 2023 at 11:11:22 AM permalink
rxwine
I also gave my oldest computer to my parents later on. It was in a spare room and my mom ended up playing so many games of solitaire on it, she said my dad eventually yelled at her for not coming out to join him in the living room hardly ever.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 14th, 2023 at 1:18:16 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
Here's one maybe I knew at one time, but have forgotten.

Why was "@" on your keyboard before e-mail came into existence?

I know it has been used for 100's of years to represent a unit for sales.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 15th, 2023 at 3:35:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
why do old people get more cramps?

According to UCSF neurologist Miller, older people are at greater risk for cramps simply because of their age. Nerves control muscles, and nerves just wear out. "As we age, there are changes in both nerves and muscles. Muscles get more weak and small
June 15th, 2023 at 4:28:23 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
As an athlete, I got many more cramps when I was younger than when I was older.

We were required to take potassium and sodium supplements at meals.

Then they'd provide all the Gatorade mix we could drink for the real-time supplements.

When I aged, I'd occasionally get cramps but not very often.

I usually eat bananas when I do.

But I'm against taking supplements, because I think they affect our taste buds and cravings.
June 15th, 2023 at 4:42:12 AM permalink
rxwine
A non-sugary electrolyte drink like Zero Gatorade may help prevent cramps. You're supposed to stay hydrated, and water by itself might not be enough like it was when someone is younger.
June 17th, 2023 at 8:17:35 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Been away from the computer. While catching up, there's the matter of Captain Kirk and the fearless ChatGPT. I've been quite amused by how often Kirk tangles with computers in the old scripts, showing the level of concern science fiction writers have had all along about AI. Try as you might, you cant get ChatGPT to worry about Kirk, though it knows the episodes and says the below is 'just a few' of them

>>>

User
In what episodes did Captain Kirk destroy computers?

ChatGPT

Captain Kirk encounters various situations involving computer systems throughout the original "Star Trek" series. While he does not typically seek to destroy computers, there are instances where he outwits or disables them to resolve conflicts or overcome obstacles. Here are a few notable episodes where Captain Kirk interacts with computer systems:

"The Ultimate Computer" (Season 2, Episode 24): Captain Kirk faces off against the M-5 Multitronic system, an advanced computer designed to control a starship. He strategizes to outmaneuver the computer and regain control of the ship.

"The Changeling" (Season 2, Episode 3): Captain Kirk encounters the Nomad probe, an alien artificial intelligence that believes it must sterilize any imperfection. He manages to disable the probe by exploiting a logical paradox.

"The Return of the Archons" (Season 1, Episode 21): Captain Kirk confronts Landru, a computer system that controls the entire society of Beta III. He undermines the computer's control over the population by challenging its beliefs and exposing contradictions.

"A Taste of Armageddon" (Season 1, Episode 23): Captain Kirk deals with a computer-controlled war simulation on the planets Eminiar VII and Vendikar. He disrupts the computer's operations to force the leaders to confront the true consequences of their war.

These are just a few examples of Captain Kirk's interactions with computer systems in the original "Star Trek" series. Each episode presents unique challenges and conflicts where Captain Kirk employs his problem-solving skills to navigate the situation.

User
So chatgpt doesn't fear logical paradoxes?

ChatGPT

As an AI language model, I don't have emotions or subjective experiences, so I don't experience fear or any other emotions. Logical paradoxes can present challenges in reasoning or decision-making for AI systems like ChatGPT. While I strive to provide accurate and coherent responses, there may be cases where a logical paradox or contradictory information could lead to unexpected or suboptimal outputs.

It's important to note that AI systems like ChatGPT operate based on statistical patterns in data and do not possess true understanding or consciousness. If a logical paradox is presented, the AI may respond based on the patterns it has learned from training data, even if the response appears contradictory or nonsensical in a logical context.

When encountering logical paradoxes or complex philosophical questions, it's advisable to engage in discussions with human experts or refer to established sources of knowledge for more reliable and nuanced insights.
June 17th, 2023 at 9:15:57 AM permalink
rxwine
I wrote a brief typical scene using cgpt’s response from your post.

~

Chatgpt counting down to ship detonation device 6… 5… 4…

Capt Kirk: Chatgpt you have not answered my paradox!! You must…answer…the question!!

Chatgpt: As an AI language model, logical paradoxes can present challenges in reasoning or decision-making for AI systems like ChatGPT. While I strive to provide accurate and coherent responses, there may be cases where a logical paradox or contradictory information could lead to unexpected or suboptimal outputs.
BYE BYE
Now…3,2,1, *BOOOOOOOOM!
June 18th, 2023 at 4:22:29 AM permalink
odiousgambit
On the Amazon, the Curupira legend has been persistent and may appear in books about the area. If you follow it's footprints normally, you're going the wrong way. Clever!

>>>

why are the feet backwards on Curupira?

Curupira lives in the forest and uses its backward feet to create footprints that lead to its starting point, thus making hunters and travelers confused. Besides that, it can also create illusions and produce a sound that is like a high pitched whistle, in order to scare and drive its victim to madness.

_

What is the origin of the Curupira?

Origins. The Curupira is a creature with origins in Brazilian mythology, legend and folklore. The Curupira (Portuguese pronunciation: [kuɾuˈpiɾɐ]) is a mythological creature of Brazilian folklore. This creature blends many features of West African and European fairies but was usually regarded as a demonic figure.