Random Thought of the Day

September 5th, 2016 at 11:51:50 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Instead of eventually revealing it, just never reveal it. When it goes into cancellation people will keep wondering.

I would love that, but I think the regular viewers would demand a reveal. There's a tacit understanding that mysteries raised ought to be cleared, whether or not you give the viewers a chance to solve them first. I know I'd demanded the head of JMS had he not revealed what the Shadows were after.

The idea is because in all super hero fiction, the audience always knows their identity. But in the fictional universe, only a few select characters do. Curiously the villains who wear masks often posses known identities in the fictional universe (and not all of them wear masks).

I wonder if it could even work. To make for more possibilities, the hero would have to be of ambiguous gender in name, voice and appearance. Otherwise you instantly rule out either all women or all men. You'd need to set up known people as possibilities next. It might be so hard to keep up, that a reveal becomes necessary. Therefore it would have to be an arc show, like Babylon 5. Otherwise the reveal ends it all.

Quote:
Although it's cool when you can pull off a misdirection without leaving your audience feeling cheated by cheap tricks to do so.

IMO, you need to show enough clues for the solution, or even show the solution hiding in plain sight. In this respect, B5 failed. Had the agents of the Shadows not told Sheridan what their masters, and the Vorlons, were doing, there's no way he'd have figured it out on his own. Sure, a lot made more sense after this revelation, but it was a revelation given to the protagonist.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 6th, 2016 at 3:17:26 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: odiousgambit
a quiz? USS Enterprise?

No, an honest question. It's where my father served; trying to get her name and figured y'all would be quicker than tracking his old ass down.

I don't remember him saying he spent time in Africa, so I'm leaning away from Enterprise as it was around there during a hostage thing during his time in service.

How the hell you identify a ship? I figured this would've been easy.

PACO!!
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 6th, 2016 at 3:18:42 PM permalink
Nareed
One fine day in the 2060s, a trust fun kid, feeling on in years, has several body parts replaced. Reflecting on how he hasn't done that well in life, he decides to get a new brain as well.

At the brain store he's shown several models.

"This brain belonged to a brilliant physicist who won the Nobel Prize. It's 55 years old and costs $25,000 per ounce. Over here we have a major screen writer who won numerous academy awards. It's 47 years old and costs $27,000 per ounce."

This goes on for a while, until the trust fund kid notices a brain off to one side, kept inside a steel cage with many locks and alarms. "How about that one?" He asks the salesman.

"Ah," the salesman says. "That's a recent acquisition. It belonged to a Trump supporter who campaigned indefatigably for his candidate. It's only 42 years old, and it costs $1,500,000 per ounce."

"Why is it so expensive?"

"It has never been used."
September 7th, 2016 at 8:26:47 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I have disdain for any adult that wears a jersey of a pro sports team.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 7th, 2016 at 8:55:14 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich

I love my Johnny Unitas Baltimore Colts number 19 throwback jerseys
Got the home white and blue away
Gotten lots of great comments wearing it around

Speaking of shirts
Gotta send out a shout out to Trump
Thanks
Just ordered a couple t-shirts
"Make America Grateful Again" One with a steal your face logo and another one with the dancing bears :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 7th, 2016 at 9:13:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I'm sure you meant to say "adult male".
September 7th, 2016 at 1:39:54 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
I love my Johnny Unitas Baltimore Colts number 19 throwback jerseys

I wonder who, aside from the NFL, gets royalties for that.
September 7th, 2016 at 2:08:23 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

What does one wear to a game? I mean, sure, if it's a Sabres v Islanders pre-season, it's hoodie and jeans 100%. But if the Leafs or Habs are in town, and you're there specifically to see the Leafs or Habs... I feel weird not wearing one.

Same (though to a lesser extent) if going to a sports bar during said event. Especially living in Buffalo, I love the troll factor of walking into 716 in Blue and White =)

Renewing your license at the DMV? I'm right with ya.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 7th, 2016 at 4:54:45 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Face
What does one wear to a game? I mean, sure, if it's a Sabres v Islanders pre-season, it's hoodie and jeans 100%. But if the Leafs or Habs are in town, and you're there specifically to see the Leafs or Habs... I feel weird not wearing one.

Same (though to a lesser extent) if going to a sports bar during said event. Especially living in Buffalo, I love the troll factor of walking into 716 in Blue and White =)

Renewing your license at the DMV? I'm right with ya.

I have no issue with other team logo or apparel just not jerseys. Jersey's are for kids. The reason I brought this up was I was in a bar last night and a group was doing a fantasy football draft. Eleven of the twelve participants had on jerseys. I was immediately disgusted by 91.6% of their group.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 7th, 2016 at 4:57:04 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Face
Anyone know her name? Or should I have just directly PM'd Paco? =p

(Circa '68 or so)

The number on the island appears to be "66". Google says that is CV-66, the USS America.

The F-14 Tomcats on the deck indicate that the picture was probably wasn't from the 60's, but more likely the mid to late 70's.
It was used for testing before being deliberately sunk off the East Coast in 2005