Random Thought of the Day

February 16th, 2017 at 8:49:24 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: Nareed
Valentine's Day should be a paid holiday with time off.

No particular reason for it. I just could use another day off in February.

Valentine's Day should be abolished, as it is very stressful for someone who isn't in a relationship/marriage/master-slave contract/etc.
February 16th, 2017 at 9:32:48 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: stinkingliberal
Valentine's Day should be abolished, as it is very stressful for someone who isn't in a relationship/marriage/master-slave contract/etc.

I support your vote for abolition, but feel the opposite on your view about stress. Personally, I find it like living off the grid come tax time. The majority has all this song and dance to do, perhaps with benefit, but more likely the sum total will be aggravation. Me, I spent this whole V-Day getting drunk and fishing.

Plus, I can take unneeded "flower money" and spend it on seasonal, fire-sale candy. Those raspberry and cherry Hershey Kisses are to die for =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 16th, 2017 at 10:53:27 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I never found it stressful while not in a relationship. The only time it was stressful for me was during the dating phase. Once married the importance of Valentine's Day diminishes every year. This year my wife got no candy, no flowers, no dinner, just a card.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 16th, 2017 at 11:33:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Valentine's Day should be abolished,

But paid day off!!!

Quote:
as it is very stressful for someone who isn't in a relationship/marriage/master-slave contract/etc.

<shrug> It's never bothered me, and 99% of the time I'm not in any kind of relationship.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 16th, 2017 at 11:59:54 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

By that reasoning we better get rid of Christmas also because of all the people who have no family.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 16th, 2017 at 12:06:58 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: kenarman
By that reasoning we better get rid of Christmas also because of all the people who have no family.

Hear him! Hear him!
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 16th, 2017 at 12:11:16 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Look folks,,, have a heart. Its biggest day of the year for private detectives.
February 17th, 2017 at 3:38:55 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
How much does human survival owe to the absence of really large predators while our ancestors were evolving towards rudimentary intelligence? Imagine if H. habilis had to contend with threats like T. rex
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 17th, 2017 at 5:50:22 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: Nareed
How much does human survival owe to the absence of really large predators while our ancestors were evolving towards rudimentary intelligence? Imagine if H. habilis had to contend with threats like T. rex

I can only refer to our recent ancestors' efficient wiping out of much of the world's megafauna, despite the fact that most of them were big, smart, fast and had lots of big pointy teeth/tusks/claws.

And BTW, what makes you think that mankind HAS rudimentary intelligence?
February 19th, 2017 at 5:44:12 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
In the age of the internet, you can easily find out a lot of things that you never had an answer for before. Sure, there were libraries, but the inconvenience factor was pretty big and sometimes the answer was hard to find.

Now, it sometimes occurs to me to find an answer for something that puzzled me all my life the easy modern way: google it. Here's one today: I just used a light that is controlled by two different switches. If you turn it on or off at one switch, you can reverse that by using the other switch, we are all familiar with them. But I could never figure out how that worked.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Three-Way-and-Four-Way-Switches-How-They-Work/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]