Random Thought of the Day

October 1st, 2014 at 12:36:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: beachbumbabs
Good ole' tap.
Oh for NYC tap water, winner of more taste tests than ever. Due to political bribery the system is so leaky that the water has been filtered through dirt and gravel so many times.

That Voss water from Norway in glass, not plastic, is nice stuff but as one might imagine, it ain't cheap to ship heavy glass containers all the way from Norway to Florida, so four dollars a bottle has just gotta be dropped from my shopping list. Tap water in my digs? Cruelty to animals for sure if I put it down for a stray to drink. If I drank it, I've no idea what the coroner's ruling would be.

I went to the library recently to pick up Molly Bloom's book about her high stakes Hollywood poker games and her indictment in NYC and I actually took a drink from the library's water fountain. Tasted great. Local health food store has a carboy of water with mint and cucumber at the bottom, refreshing stuff but its a bit of a drive and as with most places, the "water glasses" are about the size of a shot glass. Nearest bookstore has great water but next to the pitcher they have this stack of plastic thimbles, so its not worth the drive.
October 1st, 2014 at 3:06:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Rapper 50cent made a 1/2 billion off of Vitamin Water.

Props to him, but I can't say much for people who pay for it. Other than, you can waste your money if you want, I guess.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 2nd, 2014 at 12:32:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Has anyone ever climbed a mountain with reverse ballast? (helium)

How high could you go with that?

Now, it could actually be pretty dangerous. (gust of strong wind), and suddenly the ground is missing. You would still need shoes to grip and ungrip. Probably of a special kind, rather than regular climbing shoes.

Also, it could work as a prank. Man with enormous pack on back climbing mountain. Looks like a pack, but is actually a thin covering for balloon. It was all fun and games until he blew off the mountain in the last frame of the video.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 3rd, 2014 at 3:06:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: rxwine
Rapper 50cent made a 1/2 billion off of Vitamin Water.
I hear one of the Real Husbands of Orange County did the same thing with "oxygenated" water. Put a claim on the label and pretty girl in the advertising... what more do you need these days.
October 5th, 2014 at 4:12:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Any girl can look glamorous... just stand there and look stupid.
-Doris Day

Wish someone would inform the Kardashians. I don't know why I particularly dislike them over, say supermodels. I guess 'cause many supermodels appear to not necessarily be primarily fame whores.
October 5th, 2014 at 4:39:45 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Has anyone ever climbed a mountain with reverse ballast? (helium)

How high could you go with that?

Now, it could actually be pretty dangerous. (gust of strong wind), and suddenly the ground is missing. You would still need shoes to grip and ungrip. Probably of a special kind, rather than regular climbing shoes.

Also, it could work as a prank. Man with enormous pack on back climbing mountain. Looks like a pack, but is actually a thin covering for balloon. It was all fun and games until he blew off the mountain in the last frame of the video.

I can't remember the name of the dare devil that just did the freefall from space but we have a lesson to learn from his balloon. It was so oversized when he first left earth that it seemed like a mistake must have been made. The as the air pressure reduced the higher he got the fuller the balloon became. In the end they were worried they might have overfilled it and he was rising too fast and the balloon was overpressurized. To a lesser extent the same thing would happen to your reverse ballast pack as you ascended the mountain. It could be allowed for but certainly complicate things.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 10th, 2014 at 7:51:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
When it came to providing urine receptacles for their astronauts, NASA encountered an unexpected problem. They gave their astronaut a choice of small, medium, or large sleeves to fit around their penises, but nobody would select either of the first two choices—and they kept slipping right off, leading to some unintended consequences. To fix this issue, the organization came up with a brilliant idea. They labeled them large, gigantic, and humongous instead.

here
October 10th, 2014 at 9:26:19 PM permalink
rxwine
I wouldn't be that surprised if the U.S. had a small military facility underwater somewhere. Inland, as doomsday type facility. Not actually, underwater, but under the bottom of a lake somewhere. with a remote entrances. Perhaps a as communication facility of last resort.

They dug under the river to build Hoover Dam.

I assume if our enemies are looking for secret facilities underground, they would go with all the dry land areas first before getting into lakes and waterways, which might be the reason to do it. Plus, you have natural water available with no visual piping in, or rain collectors.
October 11th, 2014 at 8:11:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Any historical, political, scientific, engineering, tidbit, unit, principle, law, etc which gets quoted as "fact" in a movie or TV show(*) has a 99.999% chance of being wrong, outdated, made up, applied wrong, an outright lie, an urban legend or otherwise false.

(*) There are a few exceptions. The most notable being scientific fats mentioned in "The Big Bang Theory."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 21st, 2014 at 7:24:40 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Fleastiff
That Voss water from Norway in glass, not plastic, is nice stuff but as one might imagine, it ain't cheap to ship heavy glass containers all the way from Norway to Florida, so four dollars a bottle has just gotta be dropped from my shopping list. Tap water in my digs? Cruelty to animals for sure if I put it down for a stray to drink. If I drank it, I've no idea what the coroner's ruling would be.
Now I'm enjoying glass-bottled herbal water: cloves, cardamom and cinnamon. Interesting stuff.