Random Thought of the Day

July 23rd, 2021 at 11:56:53 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Well, live and learn.

"Living apart together."

"According to a 2005 survey by the National Social Life, Health, and Aging Project, 7% of individuals between 57 and 85 years old described themselves as living apart together."

source: https://time.com/5271527/older-couples-living-apart-unmarried/
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:18:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Divorces after 30 years of marriage (or other long time) make me wonder, after all that time you even bothered to get divorced. Hard to believe it takes that long to finally experience the last straw that breaks the camel’s back.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:28:56 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Divorces after 30 years of marriage (or other long time) make me wonder, after all that time you even bothered to get divorced. Hard to believe it takes that long to finally experience the last straw that breaks the camel’s back.
For many it is the coming of age of children that lights the exit fuse. I, like 38% of other males, wouldn't leave because of the children.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:40:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee
Well, live and learn.

"Living apart together."

"According to a 2005 survey by the National Social Life, Health, and Aging Project, 7% of individuals between 57 and 85 years old described themselves as living apart together."

source: https://time.com/5271527/older-couples-living-apart-unmarried/

Didn't you see what I posted yesterday? It's gone up to 10% married couples living apart. It's the best of both worlds, the best of being single and the best of being married. If you can take care of yourself if you are man and lots of men cannot. The few married men that I know couldn't take care of themselves for five minutes without their wives because the women do everything. They cook they clean they do the laundry they do the shopping and the men mow the lawn and get the oil changed on the Buick. That's about it. In the winter they don't even have to mow the lawn.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:53:29 PM permalink
missedhervee
But why not stay together?

Division of responsibilities is an efficient way to motor through life.

I know how to cook, clean, launder, having done it previously, but simply having that ability will not induce me to divorce my wife and live in a cave: you see I actually care for and about her and enjoy her presence (except when she pisses me off, but I get over it quickly).

I prefer to have someone who cares about me around me all the time; otherwise I'd be lonely, and given the choice I don't want to live my daily life alone.

I also enjoy having the two incomes and splitting expenses; leaves more money for gamblin', dontchaknow.

The sex thing isn't quite as compelling as we approach our dotage, but the old boy is still frisky and always welcomes a willing, readily available "on call" playmate.

Maybe I've been brainwashed into being a slave to convention, but I'd rather be married than single: to each his own.
July 23rd, 2021 at 1:13:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
But why not stay together?

Boredom, for my wife and I our interests had changed. When we got married we had things we were both interested in. As time went on that changed. My wife started playing the piano everyday because she was the piano player in the church and I have no interest in listening to a piano. She took up playing video games constantly instead of watching TV. I hate video games. We both got out of the antique business which had always been our main interest. My wife had a brick-and-mortar antique mall for 20 years, it's how she made her living. We started eating different foods. She went on a constant diet that never ended and continues to this day even though she doesn't need to lose weight. Living apart became much more enjoyable than living together. I do what I want she does what she wants it works out perfectly. We text everyday many times and we see each other when we feel like it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2021 at 1:19:46 PM permalink
missedhervee
So it sounds like you're living the life of divorced people, without a divorce decree.

I assume you still file a joint tax return?

Do you split expenses of the two households or each pay your own?
July 23rd, 2021 at 1:20:38 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
So it sounds like you're living the life of divorced people, without a divorce decree.

It sounds more like they are living the life of a dating couple, but with a marriage license.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 23rd, 2021 at 1:21:53 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
That's also not meant as an insult at all. If they're happy, then it's excellent.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 23rd, 2021 at 2:48:23 PM permalink
Evenbob

Its funny, lots of people have important jobs who are married but they live in separate cities. Like people in Congress oh, many of them have a home in Washington and their spouse lives in a house in their home state. Nobody ever says to them that they're living the wife of divorced people. What if you do it in the same city and you're only a couple miles apart then people freak out about it. Why aren't you miserable like the rest of us, how come you think you can get out of the miserable part of marriage. Cary Grant was married four times and he said the worst part of it is the dailyness of marriage. You sleep with the person get up with the person have breakfast with the person come home after work and have dinner with the person and then spend the rest of the evening with them only to start all over again. Why do it if you don't have to. In my wife does all the taxes I have no idea what she puts on there. I just give her my information and forget about it.