Random Thought of the Day

July 23rd, 2021 at 3:15:11 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Hmmm ... it would be a cool passive-aggressive play on her part to always file for herself only as "married, filing separate" and not file a return for you.

Not that she would ... but she could ...

Oh, you think married people are miserable?

I'm married and most cetainly am not miserable in my marriage.

Yes, our interests change over time, we grow apart, but at the end of the day we both seem to realize that while you can change your partner you cannot change the issues you face in life.
July 23rd, 2021 at 4:07:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee

I'm married and most cetainly am not miserable in my marriage.

Goody for you. Tell that to half the population who gets a divorce, maybe it will cheer them up. And tell that to the other half that's left married and miserable because they can't leave until the kids grow up. Tell the other half of whatever is left who want to leave the marriage but can't because their religion won't let them. Tell them how great your marriage is.

My wife is the most honest person I know. If she says she does something she did it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2021 at 4:30:44 PM permalink
missedhervee
You falsely claim that ALL married people are miserable, according to your "twisted math" above.

But then, what do you REALLY know about life and marriage?

Tending a bar gave you nothing but drunks to talk to, and of course they'll cry into their beer about their spouse.

Antiquers are a more grounded set of people but then they're not likely to share their intimate thoughts on marriage with you.

Otherwise, you basically live in a cave, isolated from the world.

Yeah, you're a great one to preach and pontificate about life and marriage.
July 23rd, 2021 at 4:46:56 PM permalink
Evenbob

But then, what do you REALLY know about life and marriage?

I have been observing married people since I got out of High School when my friends started getting married. Only one of them still married and he's absolutely miserable. He hates his wife he wishes she was dead. But he's Catholic so he's stuck. All the other friends I had who married young got divorced, every single one of them. When I was in the antique business I knew a ton of married people. Some of them were fine in their marriage, the majority were not. A couple guys I know rarely spoke to their wives. They would get home and immediately go into the basement where their Hobbies were. One guy fixed old radios and another guy collected and fixed cameras. It was just an excuse not to be with their wives. My wife has four siblings and I know for a fact none of them are happy in their marriages because they tell my wife. And she tells me. The youngest sister has been married for 25 years and they haven't spoken for the last five or six years and they live in the same house. He lives in the proverbial finished basement and she lives upstairs and all the kids are gone grown up and married. If there are tons of happy married people out there, they do a good job of hiding. Again, look at the divorce rate. It speaks volumes. And from personal experience the people who give me the hardest time about my relationship with my wife are usually unhappy in their marriage and they're so jealous of me they can't stand it. They want me to be just as unhappy as they are.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2021 at 4:54:18 PM permalink
missedhervee
Must be something in the water where you live, or the environment.

My experience is much different.

I've a very large, extended family on both sides and can count on one hand the number of divorces which have occurred.

No, they're not too devout to divorce.

My brother and his wife never divorced, nor has my son.

I did, but only because she got hooked on cocaine and crank.

I've been with the same woman since 1988 and consider the marriage very successful, both objectively and subjectively.
July 23rd, 2021 at 5:17:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Must be something in the water where you live, or the environment.

"50 percent of marriages end in divorce. Divorce researcher and author Dana Adam Shapiro concluded that of the 50 remaining percent, 1/3 are unhappy, 1/3 are “meh” (bearable), and 1/3 are happy. So roughly around 17 percent are happy."

That means five out of six marriages are either unhappy or end in divorce. That sounds about right with the people I know. You and I are in that happy 17%! Good for us.
July 24th, 2021 at 1:22:10 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Older couples use separate bedrooms if they have the space in what must surely be a good solid percentage of the time. There's a lot of someone sleeping on the couch too.

But without question, if you have a chance to use separate full bathrooms, now that is pure luxury and I recommend it for anyone, if you can pull it off. Even newlyweds.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 24th, 2021 at 5:12:31 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
Older couples use separate bedrooms if they have the space in what must surely be a good solid percentage of the time. There's a lot of someone sleeping on the couch too.

But without question, if you have a chance to use separate full bathrooms, now that is pure luxury and I recommend it for anyone, if you can pull it off. Even newlyweds.

I have never had any issues sharing a bathroom with my wife.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 24th, 2021 at 6:19:27 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich
I have never had any issues sharing a bathroom with my wife.

I agree a total non issue with my wife and I. Of course we have only managed to share a bathroom for 52 years.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 24th, 2021 at 7:11:12 PM permalink
missedhervee
Wife and I have separate bathrooms and bedrooms.

Why not?

It's just the two of us now.

It's a 3 bath, 4 bedroom house.

We own it, we might as well use it.