Random Thought of the Day

January 15th, 2022 at 7:20:40 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I know it may not make much sense to some, but I would like to see Civilization made into life size VR game.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 15th, 2022 at 7:27:38 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
I don't play enough video games, so have no idea if Pistol Whip is a common setup. I understand how it works now, but the stop action effect had me wondering how it worked at first.

Its a rail game
Meaning you are constantly moving forward as if on a rail.
Therefore bad guys keep showing up left and right and above you.
Its a really fun game
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 15th, 2022 at 8:31:36 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
that's going to be pretty high up on my list of surprises for today.

Why. I posted here many times that before I had a computer I spent a large amount of time in the library or at Barnes & Noble every month. Now Google is my friend. I use it a minimum of a dozen times a day to look things up that I'm interested in. Even when I was a kid I went to the library all the time to read. In high school I lived in the library. They had a used paperback room where you could trade in a paperback book for another used paperback. My Amazon account goes back to 1999 can I can see everything I bought from them, hundreds of books. Why is it surprising that I would take library science in college.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 15th, 2022 at 12:17:47 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Evenbob
Why is it surprising that I would take library science in college.

I figured you'd prefer courses on manufacturing buggy whips and wagon wheels.

Who knew?

Actually I too spent a lot of time in the library in college, but for me it was a work / study deal.

Question: what is the future of brick and mortar libraries, given the advent of the internet?

I wonder how often people go to the library now, compared to pre-internet times?
January 15th, 2022 at 12:45:35 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: missedhervee

Who knew?

Actually I too spent a lot of time in the library in college, but for me it was a work / study deal.

Question: what is the future of brick and mortar libraries, given the advent of the internet?

I wonder how often people go to the library now, compared to pre-internet times?

Library's are quite crowded
Usually they have a lot of computers hooked to the internet and most are used depending on location.
I checked out the library in Clearwater near the scientology massive "super powers building" also known as Flag.
A lot of homeless in that area so the library was quite crowded
Just wanted to make sure I could connect to the underground bunker, an anti scientology site
Homeless still need internet and thats how many connect.
A lot of the people at the library play games on the internet.
Many times its the kids hangout till parents get off from work and pick them up
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 15th, 2022 at 12:47:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee

Who knew?

You can take your laptop there and google online books. Most have free internet.

They do have free books for E readers.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 15th, 2022 at 12:53:52 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
You can take your laptop there and google online books. Most have free internet.

They do have free books for E readers.

Thats an excellent point
My kindle is attached to my library
I never buy books
All free to read and borrow easily
I borrow audio books for long rides.
Thank goodness I kept my old drivers lisc when I changed my address. Had to use it to continue my library membership. It's in a county that funds their library well so they buy a lot of Kindle books. New address rural county. Kindle collection may not be as big.
The app I use to connect to my library is Overdrive
January 18th, 2022 at 7:23:34 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
something I've said for a long time: Insurance companies are so steeped in mendacity there is no chance they can ever escape it now.

it's remarkable how we just accept it now. When did you ever hear anyone complain about the competing commercials that claim you can save thousands by switching?

the latest thing I notice is they are heavily spamming me by email, I was never subjected to that before. Different companies, not just one. What a disgrace!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 18th, 2022 at 5:34:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit

it's remarkable how we just accept it now. When did you ever hear anyone complain about the competing commercials that claim you can save thousands by switching?
!

The insurance business has always been extremely competitive cuz there's so much money to be made in it. Only a small percentage of the people who have insurance on anything end up using it. My dad had insurance for over 60 years and never used it once for anything. That's very typical. And when you do have to use it you have to fight tooth and nail with the insurance adjuster whose job is to give you as little money as he can. I know this for a fact because my wife has a nephew who is an insurance adjuster and the company pays you bonuses if you give out the least amount of money. He says you're basically screwing people big time and it works. You wear them down. He says the only way you can make it work in your favor is just to wear the adjuster down. Keep refusing to take his lowball offer he will get sick of you eventually and give you more money. There is a high turnover in insurance adjusters because it's a psychologically hard job to screw people. My wife's nephew loves it because he's a royal prick, he was made for this job.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 18th, 2022 at 5:50:13 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I made a good living for the first twenty or so years of my practice when I did plaintiff's personal injury work, but I switched to all family law and never regretted it.

Not sure who was slimeyer: the adjusters or my clients.

Took a cut in pay when I gave up P.I. (personal injury) but had less stress, greater satisfaction, and still made good money ... just not as much as before.