What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 16th, 2016 at 7:23:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: ams288
People's main complaint about The Force Awakens was that the plot was weak, but they loved the characters.

The plot wasn't weak. It was recycled. But it was a great story when it came out in 1977 :)

I'll pass judgment when I see it, but IMO, taking a story we know ends "well" and without a known hero in a long saga is a big risk. perhaps they should have started with the Han Solo movie.

On that, I hear in addition to Darth Vader, Tarkin's also in the movie.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 16th, 2016 at 7:44:39 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Nareed
On that, I hear in addition to Darth Vader, Tarkin's also in the movie.

A CG version of Tarkin is! I found the digital version of him odd, but I'm sure many casual movie goers won't notice. It's fascinating that the filmmakers took that risk. He gets more screen time than I expected.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 16th, 2016 at 8:02:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: ams288
A CG version of Tarkin is!

Why not get another actor?
December 16th, 2016 at 8:26:31 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: Nareed
Why not get another actor?

I have no idea. Would have been a lot cheaper!

Actually, the CGI Tarkin is one of the most fascinating decisions the filmmakers made...
December 16th, 2016 at 10:14:42 AM permalink
ams288
Also, some of the rebel pilots from the end of A New Hope are seen in their cockpits flying around during the final battle in this movie. I'm assuming they reused the footage from A New Hope and spruced it up with some CGI.

Some of the bigger geeks in the audience cheered the first couple times they showed up. Took me a second to realize what they were cheering at.
December 16th, 2016 at 1:36:49 PM permalink
Nareed
I'd love to see this movie with a group of SW fans, and afterwards tell them "You know what'd be neat? A trilogy about how Darth Vader came to be an evil Sith Lord." :)

More seriously, when the current spate of SW movies runs out of steam, Disney ought to re-re-release the original trilogy without the digital changes made by Lucas (they're mostly ok, but not the Greedo scene). And then they should do a prequel trilogy right.
December 17th, 2016 at 7:25:31 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I saw the movie Morgan coming back from Costa Rica. Good story idea but pretty bad movie. On the 0 to 10 scale I give it a 3. I also saw the Legend of Tarzan movie going there. Well cast. Christoph Waltz is one of my favorite actors. However, somehow the story didn't compel me. It felt like too many Hollywood writers were at the table when they wrote it and they tried to do too much. I give that one a 5.

Why airlines consistently choose bad movies for their entertainment options, I have no idea. Maybe because they were cheap to buy, because the movies were bad.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 17th, 2016 at 2:20:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I saw the movie Morgan coming back from Costa Rica. Good story idea but pretty bad movie. On the 0 to 10 scale I give it a 3.

How does an R-rated horror film end up on an airline? Don't they edit out everything that makes the film what it is?

Kate Mara is not handling the transition from independent movies to big budget films. She was in two of the worst bombs in recent history. At least Morgan was a low budget film.

Transcendence WB $103.0 m 2014
Fantastic Four Fox $168.0 m 2015
December 17th, 2016 at 2:23:07 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
I saw the movie Morgan coming back from Costa Rica. Good story idea but pretty bad movie. On the 0 to 10 scale I give it a 3. I also saw the Legend of Tarzan movie going there. Well cast. Christoph Waltz is one of my favorite actors. However, somehow the story didn't compel me. It felt like too many Hollywood writers were at the table when they wrote it and they tried to do too much. I give that one a 5.

Why airlines consistently choose bad movies for their entertainment options, I have no idea. Maybe because they were cheap to buy, because the movies were bad.

Movies on planes are edited for content. That may affect the viewer's impression. Also, films with certain plots devices, are probably not offered. ("Sully", "Snakes on a Plane", The one where Denzel plays the drunk pilot who flies upside down).
December 17th, 2016 at 9:37:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I would have never guessed "Matchpoint" was a Woody Allen movie until I checked on ImDB on it.

Pretty good. If you never saw it though, you won't have any regrets either. Scarlett Johansson is easy on the eyes and this is about 15 years ago.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?