What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 12th, 2016 at 10:54:29 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I liked the 2nd movie, A Shot in the Dark.

I don't remember which of Return of the Pink Panther and The Pink Panther Strikes again I liked better, but in them Inspector Dreyfus and his attempts to kill Clouseau are a big part of what makes them funny.

I didn't like the rest of the (original) movies after that.

The Steve Martin ones were so-so.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 12th, 2016 at 11:53:17 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The entire Third Army Corps lead by General Patton consisted of solely notional units with fake radio traffic, fake trucks, tanks, etc. Many spies, themselves notional, were giving good information to inflate their value to the Germans so that the deception could be continued into the early days of the Normandy invasion while the Germans awaited an attack in Callais area which certainly made more military sense.

Body was a dead English sailor dressed as a courier and "found" in a life raft with one oar that had supposedly drifted onto Spanish soil related to a proposed invastion of Sardia to open up a Greek Front rather than to invade Italy. He had personal letters and theater tickets on his person. The German intelligence agencies summarized the military documents but transmitted the full content of the letter making a reference to sardines as being "on points here" (subject to food rationing stamps) thus confirming to the Germans that the invasion target after the North African Campaign would be Sardinia which had only a coded reference in the military documents. Still a major secret as to who the sailor was and how he died in order to be "available" for his mission.
December 12th, 2016 at 12:27:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Watched "The Departed" the other night. Great popcorn movie. Star studded. Only minor quibbles, but those were easy to ignore.

Guessing who doesn't get killed is harder than guessing who does, since damn near everyone dies.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 12th, 2016 at 1:44:32 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: rxwine
Watched "The Departed" the other night. Great popcorn movie. Star studded. Only minor quibbles, but those were easy to ignore.

Guessing who doesn't get killed is harder than guessing who does, since damn near everyone dies.

"The Departed" was almost a shot for shot remake of a Hong Kong action film trilogy titled, "Infernal Affairs". It is interesting that the "double double agents" story works so well in multiple cultural contexts. I do recommend these films if you have a chance, and don't mind reading sub-titles.
December 13th, 2016 at 9:17:27 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Ayecarumba
"The Departed" was almost a shot for shot remake of a Hong Kong action film trilogy titled, "Infernal Affairs".

Interesting. I just thought it was inspired by real events, like Whitey Bulger

Definitely a good movie.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 13th, 2016 at 1:25:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
"The Departed" was almost a shot for shot remake of a Hong Kong action film trilogy titled, "Infernal Affairs". It is interesting that the "double double agents" story works so well in multiple cultural contexts. I do recommend these films if you have a chance, and don't mind reading sub-titles.

Probably the biggest international source of films for remakes is France, but in the American version there are always substantial changes. But with Asian films there is a stronger tendency to do the shot for shot remake. The Grudge did one better, as the American version was also set in Tokyo, but it now had English speaking actors, some American and some Japanese.

Quote: American films that are a remake of a French film

12 Monkeys
13 (2010 film)
The 13th Letter
Algiers (film)
And God Created Woman (1988 film)
The Associate
The Big Wedding
The Birdcage
Blame It on Rio
Blood Ties (2013 film)
The Blue Veil (1951 film)
Breathless (1983 film)
Buddy Buddy
Cousins (1989 film)
Crossroads (1942 film)
Diabolique (1996 film)
Dinner for Schmucks
Down and Out in Beverly Hills
Eye of the Beholder (film)
Fanny (1961 film)
Fathers' Day (1997 film)
Flame and the Flesh
Happy New Year (1987 film)
Heartbeat (1946 film)
I Think I Love My Wife
I Was an Adventuress
Intersection (1994 film)
The Isle of Lost Ships (1929 film)
The Jackal (1997 film)
Journal of a Crime
Jungle 2 Jungle
Just Visiting (film)
The Lady in Question
LOL (2012 film)
The Long Night (1947 film)
Lucky Partners
Lured
Lydia (film)
The Man Who Loved Women (1983 film)
The Man with One Red Shoe
Martyrs (2015 film)
Megaville
Men Don't Leave
The Mirror Has Two Faces
Mixed Nuts
My Father the Hero (1994 film)
My Life with Caroline
The Next Three Days
Nine Months
One Rainy Afternoon
Original Sin (2001 film)
Orphans of the Storm
Oscar (1991 film)
Paradise (1991 film)
Paradise for Three
Paris When It Sizzles
Point of No Return (1993 film)
Pure Luck
Reflections of Murder
Return to Paradise (1998 film)
Scarlet Street
Sleepless (2017 film)
The Soldier and the Lady
Some Like It Hot
Sommersby
Sorcerer (film)
Special Correspondents
Taxi (2004 film)
Three Fugitives
Three Men and a Baby
The Tourist (2010 film)
Tovarich (film)
The Toy (1982 film)
True Lies
Two Men in Town (2014 film)
Two Much
Under Suspicion (2000 film)
Unfaithful (2002 film)
The Unfinished Dance
Violent Road
Wicker Park (film)
The Woman I Love
The Woman in Red (1984 film)
December 13th, 2016 at 2:59:39 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Only movies I have seen the foreign original and the remake
Seven Samurai (Japan) - Magnificent 7 (USA)
The Ring (Japan) - The Ring (USA)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 13th, 2016 at 4:34:50 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: terapined
Only movies I have seen the foreign original and the remake
Seven Samurai (Japan) - Magnificent 7 (USA)
The Ring (Japan) - The Ring (USA)

Supposedly George Lucas' "Star Wars" was based on a Japanese film ("The Hidden Fortress"), but I don't think the connection rises to "remake" status.
December 15th, 2016 at 7:00:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Has anyone seen Rogue One?

I may go this weekend.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 16th, 2016 at 5:41:05 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Rogue One

I was a bit disappointed, to be honest. I found it a bit draggy. On future viewings, I can see myself fast forwarding through the first two acts to get right to the good stuff at the end.

People's main complaint about The Force Awakens was that the plot was weak, but they loved the characters. This one has the opposite problem. The plot is not weak, but the characters are not memorable at all. I just saw it last night and I honestly can't remember most of their names.

My biggest issue with the movie is the lack of a John Williams score. Michael Giacchino composed the score. I usually like his work, but here it feels like he is doing his best attempt to mimic JW. It just doesn't sound right. Too loud and obvious at times. Apparently he only had 1 month to write and 1 month to record the score, so that didn't help any.

Major spoiler:

I saw the first showing in IMAX 3D last night and they gave us posters to take home. Literally every character that is featured on the poster dies in the movie. That's dark. I kinda liked that about it. Unusual for a big budget holiday release.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman