What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 10th, 2016 at 3:39:20 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine
Based on a true story.
Famous last words in Hollywood. Do you mean that after being captured he was interrogated in the field about enemy strength, location and intentions? They all were. Some spoke freely, some spoke out of fear and hope that if they spoke they would be processed as POWs rather than being summarily shot. A great deal happened between a capture by a platoon and a prisoner being sent back to company headquarters. A great deal happened between company headquarters and Division. And of course even Eisenhower ordered that while soldiers in recognized units who surrendered were to be accorded the status of POWs, soldiers who remained behind to act as snipers who then tried to surrender after exhausting their ammunition and rations were to be executed in the field. Oh, don't try to look for something that says "shoot them"... its phrased as "are not to be brought into the Division Area". Well, what on earth was the Company Headquarters Area supposed to do with them, they had no stockade. It was either send them to Division or shoot them, but the order was simply phrased as 'Don't Send them to Division' which of course meant 'shoot them'.

Its the same way with shooting sailors on a sinking ship who are attempting to abandon ship. The order to kill the sailors and riddle their lifeboats with bullet holes is never given. Its simply 'rake the decks with machine gun fire' which of course means kill the sailors and render their life boats and life rafts useless.

Captured German soldiers knew they were entitled to respond with nothing but name rank and serial number but they also knew that the dirty, tired, hungry and very edgy soldiers holding them at rifle point were entitled to simply shoot them and often prone to do so even if they volunteered information of great significance. Geneva was far away and so were Red Cross observers or senior officers. Decisions were made by privates, corporals and maybe a few sergeants. Perhaps some second lieutenant might be nearby too but he would be told the prisoner attempted to escape or seize a weapon.
December 10th, 2016 at 7:46:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
Famous last words in Hollywood. Do you mean that after being captured he was interrogated in the field about enemy strength, location and intentions? They all were..

No, this was a specific assignment to recruit some German soldiers to spy from a larger camp of captured German soldiers.

They only focused on this one guy though. There was also a book.

It may be a foreign made movie with some American actors in just a few roles. The lead was foreign I believe.

It wasn't James Bond type spy, just a single assignment to go back into the front lines and report some specific information. And he gets killed doing it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 10th, 2016 at 9:27:07 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Straight from Breibart, the new lamestream media

Megyn Kelly-Roger Ailes Sexual Harassment Allegations Film Set from Big Short Writer

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2016/12/09/megyn-kelly-roger-ailes-sexual-harassment-film-set-big-short-writer/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 10th, 2016 at 5:29:54 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Ailes has vehemently denied all of the allegations against him.

Now they've hired a whole potful of fiction writers to make a movie script.

Do YOU believe the 2005 "I'd like to see you in a sexy bra" incident? What sort of a maneater would stand still for several hours of that?

She'd filet him right there in the office.
December 10th, 2016 at 6:02:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
At first I thought the recent mention of "hard times" referred to Elmer Leonard's "Welcome to Hard Times" a stark depiction of a Western settlement trying to get through its first Winter. Then I did remember that bare knuckles London Prize Ring rules fighting movie. It was a period piece but concentrated a bit too much on being a period piece movie instead of a good depiction of the actual fighting.

It seems Bronson's smoking gave him a time limit of about thirty seconds for filming a fight scene. After that he was huffing and puffing. His movies always made more money in Europe than in the USA and he was very popular there. He made a movie supposedly set in Oregon but actually filmed in Italy and I think he lost a bundle of his savings on that movie.

I wonder why these physical fitness gurus smoke. Oh they don't have to be all lettuce and bird seed types. Nothing wrong with a boilermaker for breakfast, but usually the muscle beach types don't smoke. They may have strange diets and often have unusual jobs with unusual hours but they do tend to not smoke. I remember an old Whats My Line show wherein the star was 85 years old. His job was lifting one hundred pound bags of cement and loading them into the buyer's vehicles. At 85!

Wonder what happened to Bronson. I've seen people try to smoke while under an oxygen tent in a hospital. I knew one woman who repeatedly pulled fire alarms in a nursing home so she could get a good crowd and bum cigarettes. Divers used to have to smoke a cigarette..bad taste meant the bends were on their way and they had to go back down under pressure. Wonder if its the same for coal miners? Perhaps there is a microbe somewhere in coal seams. I'm pretty much convinced that mesothiliona has less to do with asbestos and more to do with a virus aided by a gut microbe.
December 10th, 2016 at 8:04:29 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
No, this was a specific assignment to recruit some German soldiers to spy from a larger camp of captured German soldiers.

They only focused on this one guy though. There was also a book.

It may be a foreign made movie with some American actors in just a few roles. The lead was foreign I believe.

It wasn't James Bond type spy, just a single assignment to go back into the front lines and report some specific information. And he gets killed doing it.

My first thought was "Garbo: The Spy", about Juan Pujol Garcia who's fake reports to the Nazi's kept a bunch of their troops held up in the wrong part of France, even days after D-Day. But the POW camp plot doesn't match exactly.
stirt
Edit: How about "Decision Before Dawn" (1951)? The IMDB story description sounds right.
December 10th, 2016 at 9:05:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It wasn't James Bond type spy

Are there any Bond like real spies? It's like
private eyes. I knew one years ago and he
said it's nothing like in the books or
movies, there's no glamour at all. It's
mundane boring work chasing down
deadbeat husbands for child support,
and catching people cheating on their
spouses. A lot of ex cops are private eyes,
they're used to the mundane work.

It's like the Godfather taught gangsters how
to be gangsters. They're mostly low IQ
HS dropouts who can barely read. Now they
have a romance about them because of
movies like Godfather and Scarface and
Goodfellas.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 10th, 2016 at 10:50:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Ayecarumba
My Edit: How about "Decision Before Dawn" (1951)? The IMDB story description sounds right.

That's it! you got skillz! I could not find it.

I found the author of story obit. Didn't really seem they Hollywood-upped the movie too much. (in case Fleastiff was wondering)

Quote:
The book was based on his experiences in World War II when he served as a civilian with the Office of Strategic Services and was attached to the 7th Army in Algiers and France, working on operations of agents behind enemy lines.
Mr. Howe produced the novel while he was a patient at the old Emergency Hospital here after he was severely injured in an automobile accident. He dictated it and it was transcribed for him.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 12th, 2016 at 9:58:08 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Ayecarumba
My Edit: How about "Decision Before Dawn" (1951)? The IMDB story description sounds right.

That's it! you got skillz! I could not find it.

I found the author of story obit. Didn't really seem they Hollywood-upped the movie too much. (in case Fleastiff was wondering)

No problem. Happy to help.

"Operation Overlord" (The invasion of Normandy, including the D-Day landings) was a huge operation, that relied on a lot of interesting attempts to disguise the actual movement and staging of troops and equipment, including a campaign of misinformation to mislead and confuse the Germans. I recall stories that they used painted inflatables to mimic the appearance of tanks and planes parked in the north to disguise their actual movement to the south. One Allied operation even planted a dead body dressed in a military officer's uniform with fake maps and communiques to fool the Nazi's into thinking they had stumbled upon real intelligence.
December 12th, 2016 at 10:22:00 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I watched the original Pink Panther movie (1963) last night. What a disappointment. For a movie billed as a comedy I don't think there was more than 10 minutes of the movie that I found humorous. I may still watch the second one because I have read that it focuses more on inspector Clouseou.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.