What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

January 23rd, 2017 at 11:24:49 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Nareed
There's been talk already about re-casting Leia. That might eb a good idea, if the story requires it. I'd hate it if Leia dies offstage or, worse, between movies.

Me too.

It's pretty clear that Leia was supposed to have a confrontation with her son in Episode 9... I'm curious as to how they will handle that now.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 23rd, 2017 at 12:07:45 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: ams288
Me too.

The crawl for Ep. IX cannot contain the death of Leia.

There will be complaints no matter what Disney/LucasFilm do, right? If they recast the part, if they use CGI, if they kill the character off-screen or in between sequels, or even if they simply write a means for not having Leia on Ep. IX.

But IMO, the worst thing would be an offstage or between movies death. I can take anything else, and would complin only if the execution is done badly (for example, by casting a 20-year-old actor to play 60-something Leia).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 23rd, 2017 at 12:23:56 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
If her character is very important to the story, they should recast.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 24th, 2017 at 3:16:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Can't they simply digitize her body from previous images and let the computer do her movements and facial expressions?
January 24th, 2017 at 11:34:32 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Fleastiff
Can't they simply digitize her body from previous images and let the computer do her movements and facial expressions?

They could. It is difficult and expensive. Probably easier for all, audiences included, to write her out of the story. If they were worried about closure, "Rogue One" probably would have had a different ending.
January 24th, 2017 at 11:47:01 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I started watching "Across the Universe" but couldn't make it through half the film. It's a pretty badly written film musical, even if you enjoy the Beatles tunes it is based on, and like the guy from from the MIT gambling team movie, "21" who plays the lead.

There are some cleverly choreographed numbers, and the costumes and make-up are well done, but the story is as engaging as sitting alone in a street restaurant in Malaysia with a plate of chicken feet in front of you, while everyone in the next stall has noodles, skewers, and beers. At some point you have to get up and make a change.

I give it 2 strawberries out of 10 for the first half. I didn't watch the second half.
January 24th, 2017 at 11:52:00 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: Ayecarumba
I started watching "Across the Universe" but couldn't make it through half the film. It's a pretty badly written film musical, even if you enjoy the Beatles tunes it is based on, and like the guy from from the MIT gambling team movie, "21" who plays the lead.

There are some cleverly choreographed numbers, and the costumes and make-up are well done, but the story is as engaging as sitting alone in a street restaurant in Malaysia with a plate of chicken feet in front of you, while everyone in the next stall has noodles, skewers, and beers. At some point you have to get up and make a change.

I give it 2 strawberries out of 10 for the first half. I didn't watch the second half.

I love that movie.

But yes, it is definitely an "acquired taste."
January 24th, 2017 at 12:52:02 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Ayecarumba
They could. It is difficult and expensive. Probably easier for all, audiences included, to write her out of the story. If they were worried about closure, "Rogue One" probably would have had a different ending.
I didn't know if the actress died while a film was in production or not. I know Val Kilmer and that drug addicted actor whose name I rarely recall made a movie where actors were brought in at the end with some story line to show they had not actually died... and off to the side the audience sees Elvis Presley and Abraham Lincoln joining the line. It was a gag of course audiences prefer a bit of realism but if some 'star' is worth all these millions a digital clone might make sense?
January 24th, 2017 at 1:14:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
If her character is very important to the story, they should recast.

We've no clue how important her character is yet.

In Ep. VII, you could have had almost the same story without Leia. Not that it wasn't good to see her again, or to awkwardly interact with Han Solo. But events would have been the same had some minor character been the general in the Resistance.

Her main contribution qua Leia was to prod Solo to approach Kylo Ren. No other character could do that.

I'm guessing, and this is wholly unofficial, that she should have had a confrontation with her son in the final movie, either killing him or, more likely, redeeming him. This is partly a hope that this time one of the good guys, namely Rey, will kill the important bad guy. In the prior trilogy that was done by Darth Vader.

Now I'm guessing, if the character isn't re-cast, his mother's death will be the key for Kylo Ren to betray Snoke and the First Order at a crucial time. Although this scenario is really heavy with Oedipal overtones
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 24th, 2017 at 1:18:12 PM permalink
ams288
I have read some spoilers for Episode 8 regarding Leia.

I read these ages ago, before Carrie Fisher's death. Take them with a grain of salt.

Like The Force Awakens, she isn't in the movie much.

I read she suffers some sort of attack early on in the movie. Apparently she uses some badass Force powers to save herself, but still ends up injured and spends most of the movie on the sidelines.

She will have a reuniting with Luke at some point in the movie though...