What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

November 26th, 2017 at 2:21:11 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Because logically not many will want
to see s scary movie during the holidays.
But they will buy the DVD as a gift.

They are not putting the DVDs on sale until January 8th.
November 26th, 2017 at 2:50:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Well, I guess they want as many theater seats filled all the time. A good movie may fill them at first, but that becomes less and less, so they start a new movie which fills more seats. That's my new guess.

But that is true of all movies in present day marketing. They always sell most of their tickets in the first week. Now twenty years ago with Titanic which spread by word of mouth and repeat visitors, it had it's peak week on the 13th week (Valentine's Day).

But in the current climate for major films it is almost all marketing. Art House films can build by word of mouth, but major releases make all their money at the beginning.

As expected Spider-man outsold IT in the first week by half a million tickets, but by the end of the second week, Spider-man was behind by 3/4 million tickets. Horror movie fans were excited that a relatively modest budget R rated film might outsell a tentpole film.

But the film was removed from the theaters even though the DVD is not going on sale until after the Holidays.

Millions of Tickets
IT - Spiderman-Homecoming
17.77 - 18.26 Week #1
26.46 - 25.72 Week #2
November 26th, 2017 at 5:08:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I saw "Murder on the Orient Express" last night.

All in all, the most interesting use of haddnwavium I've ever come across. But I suspected something as soon as a second suspect was shown to be connected to an older case.

Other than that, pretty good performances all around, very beautiful sets, and excellent cinematography.

Also, Poirot has the ugliest mustache I've ever seen.

There does remain one spoiler question.

Spoilers ahead

You've been warned

Poirot is given another passenger's seat on the train. Who was the displaced, or non-arriving, passenger, and was he part of the conspiracy?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 26th, 2017 at 8:20:45 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Poirot is told he has been given another passenger's seat on the train.
November 26th, 2017 at 9:41:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Pacomartin
As expected Spider-man outsold IT in the first week by half a million tickets, but by the end of the second week, Spider-man was behind by 3/4 million tickets.

A new movie can underperform expectations. So, it just may have not worked out like they planned.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 26th, 2017 at 10:52:58 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

Surely one of the year's best films.

It's funny. It's dark. It's sad. I loved it.

Frances McDormand is great as always. But Sam Rockwell really steals the show. Hopefully he will be in the running for Best Supporting Actor this year...

Glad to hear this
I'm looking forward to this movie
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 26th, 2017 at 11:19:20 AM permalink
rxwine
I hate to sound lazy for not looking up what that picture referred to the first time it was posted, but could you mention the name of the film when you decide to talk about it.

Unless it's suppose to be a secret.

: )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 26th, 2017 at 1:05:37 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
I hate to sound lazy for not looking up what that picture referred to the first time it was posted, but could you mention the name of the film when you decide to talk about it.

Unless it's suppose to be a secret.

: )

Are you talking about my post? The title is right there above the picture, in bold.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 26th, 2017 at 1:18:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: ams288
Are you talking about my post? The title is right there above the picture, in bold.

Oh.

I assumed it was picture of 3 billboards which were promotional material for some movie that was playing. Movies sometimes do odd promotions.
November 27th, 2017 at 6:33:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Do you ever get odd thoughts during a movie?

Watching Murder on the Orient Express, I kept wondering how the train generates electricity. The natural answer is from the engine. Fair enough. But when the train stops for a long while after the tracks is blocked by snow, we see the engine off (no smoke coming from the smokestack), and all the lights on.

BTW, the light fixtures on the train were lovely.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER