What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

November 30th, 2017 at 9:40:51 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: JimRockford
IMDB lists Molly's Game as his only director's credit. I am surprised. He is known as the master of the walk and talk. I guess it's just for his screenplays.

Sorkin credits director Tommy Schlamme for the walk-and-talk. He was approaching it a time or two on SportsNight, but Tommy came up with the fully choreographed cold open in the pilot for The West Wing. It BLEW Sorkin's mind at the time. And he wrote one in whenever he could from then on.

BIG Sorkin fan here. If anyone else loved The West Wing like I do, there's a marvelous weekly podcast by Josh Malina and Hrishi something called thewestwingweekly.com . The link below is to a 2 hour interview with Sorkin that discusses this stuff and a lot more about his work and motivations, though it was last fall, so they don't discuss this movie.

http://thewestwingweekly.com/episodes/200
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
November 30th, 2017 at 10:19:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: beachbumbabs
BIG Sorkin fan here. If anyone else loved The West Wing like I do,

I liked WW until Rob Lowe left and it started
to go downhill. I never saw the final 2 seasons.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 30th, 2017 at 10:23:49 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Quote: Evenbob
I liked WW until Rob Lowe left and it started
to go downhill. I never saw the final 2 seasons.

Season 5 was rocky. I skip here and there; very uneven.

They mostly got their feet back under them in seasons 6-7. More watchable. But Sorkin was missed severely.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
November 30th, 2017 at 10:52:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: zippyboy
You're probably the only person who enjoyed Lucy then. It's been widely mocked for the absurd premise, the confusing ending and fact that Morgan Freeman's only reason for being there is to explain the silly plot to the audience.

I watched it until the end. It was so serious !
I have to say that I enjoyed the Fifth Element a lot more. I think if you are going to have a silly premise it helps to have silliness in the movie.

November 30th, 2017 at 10:57:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Season 5 was rocky. .

And I never liked Martin Sheen as president.
He's just too fricking short, he looked
ridiculous with everybody in the cast, even
the women, being taller than him. He's
a Hobbit. It's a fact that we've had only
10 presidents shorter than 5' 8" and they
were all before 1900. Most of them have
been tall, they looked like leaders, Sheen
looked like Bilbo's little brother.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 1st, 2017 at 4:51:55 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
Quote: zippyboy
You're probably the only person who enjoyed Lucy then. It's been widely mocked for the absurd premise, the confusing ending and fact that Morgan Freeman's only reason for being there is to explain the silly plot to the audience.

I watched it until the end. It was so serious !
I have to say that I enjoyed the Fifth Element a lot more. I think if you are going to have a silly premise it helps to have silliness in the movie.

I liked Lucy and the 5th Element
Not great movies but still entertaining. I watched both from start to finish. I also enjoyed the 5th element more
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 1st, 2017 at 6:27:58 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I liked about 80% of Lucy. I thought the ending sucked.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 1st, 2017 at 7:19:33 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin

This can best be summed up with a review from the era, I forget whose, headlined "Expensive French junk is still junk."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 1st, 2017 at 7:21:28 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Quote: ams288
I liked about 80% of Lucy. I thought the ending sucked.

I liked Lucy ok, agree about the ending.

5th element is genius. It's in my permanent collection. A beautiful mix of genres and characters. Very witty and creative script. Terrific casting. Probably watched it 10 times already (a lot for me), and will watch it again. 10 popcorn buckets.
December 1st, 2017 at 12:06:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Terrific casting.

There was a Bruce Willis movie two years released for one week in 13 theaters. It made a little more than $1000 in each theater. Unknown production budget Got one good review out of 18 according to RT.

So Bruce does seem to scale the heights as well as plummet to the depths in his roughly 60 movies over his 30 year movie career that began with Blind Date.