What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

November 27th, 2017 at 4:56:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Watching Murder on the Orient Express, I kept wondering how the train generates electricity. The natural answer is from the engine

The Orient Express began in 1883. They had electric dynamos and batteries . The batteries could be slung under the coach and topped up by a dynamo which used a belt-drive from the axles

The batteries would keep the electricity on for a period of time when the train came to a halt, but obviously not for extended periods.

Batteries were fairly developed by 1883. This image below is a generator from that period.

November 28th, 2017 at 6:57:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
The Orient Express began in 1883. They had electric dynamos and batteries . The batteries could be slung under the coach and topped up by a dynamo which used a belt-drive from the axles

It's quite ingenious to attach the generators to the cars' axles. That way you don't add complexity to the engine, and one failed generator might not be much of a problem, as power from other cars could be tapped (if set up so).

But then the immovable train runs out of power as soon as the batteries are exhausted, and there's no way to generate more.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 28th, 2017 at 2:12:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
But then the immovable train runs out of power as soon as the batteries are exhausted, and there's no way to generate more.

I doubt that trains were stopped for long. If they were I imagine heat and cooking was done by fuel oil.
November 28th, 2017 at 2:37:10 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I doubt that trains were stopped for long.

I don't have stats, but railroads are quite fickle. A big enough obstruction, a damaged rail, a few missing ties, can stop a train for hours. In remote areas, a rock slide or an avalanche can stop one for days.

There was much variation, too. I think in Europe and Canada track-side phones at regular intervals were common. Telegraph and, later, phone lines ran along train tracks.

Quote:
If they were I imagine heat and cooking was done by fuel oil.

But you'd have to eat and cook in candlelight.

And perhaps that explains things for the coal era. Even in the early 40s, there were plenty of regions worldwide without electricity, making do with candles and oil lamps. By the 50s, I think, trains were transitioning to Diesel electric engines.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 28th, 2017 at 4:18:15 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The Lady Vanishes.....avalanche stops the train .. no heat no food but a convenient trackside hotel.

In the American West.... blankets, buffalo robes and inadequate stoves in the cars. Usually no trackside hotels.
November 30th, 2017 at 2:24:53 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Molly's Game.
Nah, ain't seen it. Comes out on Christmas day.
Ellen DeGeneres just let Molly Bloom do a two minute walk-on to pimp her new movie about how she went from hosting poker games to banking them, the "hedge fund manager" (Ponzi scheme operator) who was her downfall, the NJ mobsters that accelerated her slide, etc.
November 30th, 2017 at 5:57:41 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Fleastiff
Molly's Game.
Nah, ain't seen it. Comes out on Christmas day.
Ellen DeGeneres just let Molly Bloom do a two minute walk-on to pimp her new movie about how she went from hosting poker games to banking them, the "hedge fund manager" (Ponzi scheme operator) who was her downfall, the NJ mobsters that accelerated her slide, etc.

Written (and directed) by Aaron Sorkin. I can't think of a movie he's written that I don't like.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 30th, 2017 at 6:34:48 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: ams288
Written (and directed) by Aaron Sorkin. I can't think of a movie he's written that I don't like.

IMDB lists Molly's Game as his only director's credit. I am surprised. He is known as the master of the walk and talk. I guess it's just for his screenplays.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
November 30th, 2017 at 7:07:09 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Sorkin wanted to do the story as a story of cut-throat businesswoman in a testosterone filled business. That is why he wanted there to be no love interest, no girl friends, no emotion. Previously Sorkin had insisted that there be no sex between the two lawyers working a two bit court martial in A Few Good Men despite the studio asking if they don't sleep together why is the role being played by a woman.

It was his first stint as a director but his own money was on the line for it too.
November 30th, 2017 at 7:07:09 PM permalink
Fleastiff
The focus is apt for today's headlines, its a serious treatment of Poker, the FBI and the Russian mob without a woman using feminity to do it.