What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 20th, 2018 at 5:54:32 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Went and watched the Mule. It was a typically great Clint Eastwood flick . True story about a 90 year old drug mule with a clean driving record.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 21st, 2018 at 12:27:47 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
The ads for Welcome to Marwen are repelling.

I have to be in the right mood to even go to movie that has some emotional issue attached. Usually I avoid them when they push something like that.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 21st, 2018 at 12:38:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The ads are on all the time, and sure enough,gets a 23% on Rotten.

The ultra cheap documentary made 8 years ago that inspired the movie gets a 98%.
December 21st, 2018 at 12:16:19 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Bridge of Spies (2015) is worth seeing for history buffs. Considering that it stars Tom Hanks, and is a Spielberg production, it seems to me to be a little early for what might be called 'the free movies on cable list', but maybe that is more common for a period of 3 years than I realize. Wikipedia indicates it was a commercial and critical success, so maybe I also just got the opposite first impression due to not having heard of it before too. 

But I am going to stick with viewing it as being at least less successful than was hoped for. I think maybe it is too tailored to those interested in those times than fits what audiences want today, but also manages to disappoint to some degree those interested in history too. It's a little preachy about how hard we were on communists back in those days, with clear advocacy for the rights of people who wind up on trial but are not citizens. Hanks portrays a lawyer who reluctantly defends a caught spy yet once having taken on the job, stands for the principal of due process in full, same rights as a citizen. I agree some with that position, certainly the idea of unbiased due process, but also the other case, that non-citizens are not entitled to the full quota of very liberal rights we have as citizens that the Hanks character advocated. The spy, who was the real McCoy, not an innocent McCarthyism victim,  is presented very sympathetically. I can see other history buffs being put off by these things. 

Other things did not ring quite true to me too, in the way the exchange for Francis Gary Powers was shown
the Hanks character was way too crazy in pushing for the release of an American student stuck in East Berlin when the wall went up. The movie has him risking complete failure of the exchange to get the student. That's well and good for the purpose of making a movie with Hanks as hero, but I think we get cheated about knowing the real story, the truth of which probably is more interesting than this fiction
Finally, I usually have some problems with Spielberg movies generally, hard to pinpoint sometimes, maybe more and more others do too. 

But I repeat, this movie is worth seeing if you are into history. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_of_Spies_(film)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3682448/?ref_=nv_sr_1
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 21st, 2018 at 1:07:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
Bridge of Spies (2015) is worth seeing for history buffs. Considering that it stars Tom Hanks, and is a Spielberg production, it seems to me to be a little early for what might be called 'the free movies on cable list'

I don't see it on Nflix, Prime or Xfinity. Where
did you see it at.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 21st, 2018 at 1:41:28 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I don't see it on Nflix, Prime or Xfinity. Where
did you see it at.
It was on cable, the Bravo channel, I recorded it back in sept. and just now watched it
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 21st, 2018 at 2:51:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
Went and watched the Mule. It was a typically great Clint Eastwood flick . True story about a 90 year old drug mule with a clean driving record.

Geezer in an older vehicle is unlikely to get stopped even on a major drug transportation route; cop focus on young males and flashy cars they can seize.
December 21st, 2018 at 3:29:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Fleastiff
Geezer in an older vehicle is unlikely to get stopped even on a major drug transportation route; cop focus on young males and flashy cars they can seize.
I am repeatedly surprised by the amount of older people, mostly men in this community that are arrested for drugs and drug paraphernalia . It used to be an older guy would sort of get a pass from the cops, not now.

I also shake my head that those same old men that are obviously using hard drugs, drive around with pipes and whatnot like they can't make it across town without having a fix.

fixed missing n
December 21st, 2018 at 4:11:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
I am repeatedly surprised by the amount of older people, mostly me in this community that are arrested for drugs and drug paraphernalia .

Cops are in the money making business,
and that's who has it in AZ, old people.
People in their 70's are all from the 60's
generation of rock and roll and drugs.
Just because we get old doesn't mean
we change all that much.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 21st, 2018 at 4:52:27 PM permalink
petroglyph
Cops are in the money making business,
and that's who has it in AZ, old people.
People in their 70's are all from the 60's
generation of rock and roll and drugs.
Just because we get old doesn't mean
we change all that much.
I agree, drugs have always been a revenue crime.

My kid works for the troopers and the Capt. was always ranting about weed this, weed that, so she finally asked him what he had against legalizing MJ. He said it was easy to detect drivers who smelled of weed, and that would give them an in to search them and their vehicles. Pot smokers don't tend to be violent, and were easy to fine in court. The cops resentment wasn't about whether or not weed was bad, only that he would lose a means to search.