What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

November 10th, 2020 at 2:04:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
The Devil Wears Prada -- I actually tried watching this before. Twice maybe. Finally, I watched it all the way through. Something about the storyline grabbed once I was able to finish it. Not that I would likely watch it again, but at least now I understand the ratings better.

"The Devil Wears Prada" was the 4th highest grossing comedy of 2006 with an estimated 19 million tickets sales (behind Will Ferrell's "Talladega Nights":, Adam Sandler's "Click", and Sacha Baron Cohen's "Borat")

"The Devil Wears Prada" is an almost quintessential chick flick with only three male leads, one of which is gay and the other two Simon Baker and Adrian Grenier playing tiny roles as Anne Hathaway's lovers. It managed to attract straight male viewers with faithful storyline of office politics.

It is difficult to believe how badly the movie industry has crashed with only "Bad Boys For Life" selling more than 19 million domestic tickets in 2020.
November 16th, 2020 at 12:24:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 4th, 2020 at 8:29:41 PM permalink
rxwine
trivia

In the new Avatar 2, Kate Winslet holds her breath underwater for 7 minutes and 14 seconds. She beat Tom Cruise's record of 6 minutes in the Mission Impossible movie - Rogue Nation.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 5th, 2020 at 7:17:28 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: rxwine
In the new Avatar 2, Kate Winslet holds her breath underwater for 7 minutes and 14 seconds. She beat Tom Cruise's record of 6 minutes in the Mission Impossible movie - Rogue Nation.

I wonder if she hyperventilated on pure oxygen first. It is considerably easier to hold your breath underwater if you've hyperventilated. It also helps if the water is cold because your bodily functions naturally slow down.

Trivia: If you are breathing pure oxygen from a scuba or snuba tank, how deep are you permitted to swim? (Air is normally 20% oxygen).
December 5th, 2020 at 1:24:56 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I don't know how deep you should go in the first place, I'm going to guess 100 feet for 'normal' and 80 feet with pure O2
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 5th, 2020 at 5:31:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Thank you for playing but the guess is wrong.

With pure air recreational divers should not go deeper than 120'. Commercial divers cannot go deeper than 175' or a mobile decompression chamber must be on board the ship (which is prohibitively expensive so it ends up being a maximum depth).

I talked to a diver who tried to dive to 200' to do a simple task like tighten a screw into a shackle. He figured it would only take 15 seconds and so he risked it. He was so "narced" up (an effect like downing dozens of tequila shots in a few minutes), that he almost killed himself by forgetting to surface.

Breathing compressed air containing the normal 21% oxygen risks acute oxygen toxicity at depths greater than 215' . Although some people could survive at greater depths, oxygen toxicity causes extreme convulsions, and you probably won't live. So anyone playing around at these depths should be considered a nearly suicidal risk taker.

The answer is that breathing pure oxygen in a scuba tank is insanely dangerous. The only people allowed to do it is Navy Seals on critical missions where they want to swim for hours at a target. They monitor their depth very careful so they don't go deeper than about 15' as a minor mistake could easily cost them their lives.

Technical recreational divers are permitted by law to breath up to 50% oxygen, but most diver operators won't let people anywhere near that high.
December 5th, 2020 at 8:21:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
"The Devil Wears Prada" is an almost quintessential chick flick with only three male leads, one of which is gay and the other two Simon Baker and Adrian Grenier playing tiny roles as Anne Hathaway's lovers. It managed to attract straight male viewers with faithful storyline of office politics.

Including me. The Devil Wears Prada is among my favorite movies. If I pass by it flipping through the channels, I always watch a while.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 6th, 2020 at 8:00:31 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
The answer is that breathing pure oxygen in a scuba tank is insanely dangerous. The only people allowed to do it is Navy Seals on critical missions where they want to swim for hours at a target. They monitor their depth very careful so they don't go deeper than about 15' as a minor mistake could easily cost them their lives.
15 feet! wow
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 6th, 2020 at 6:17:17 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Watched Dances With Wolves for the first time last night.

The Buffalo Hunt scene might me the most amazing cinematic sequence of all time.
December 6th, 2020 at 6:24:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: gamerfreak
Watched Dances With Wolves for the first time last night.

The Buffalo Hunt scene might me the most amazing cinematic sequence of all time.

A director needs to have very significant clout these days to be able to run up big cinematic scenes not based heavily on CGI. Probably was no CGI in that scene at the time it was made.