What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 16th, 2020 at 7:36:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
they wouldn't even let the poor woman use the phone, she is shown using a phone booth on the street to make the call to straighten it all out

I was wondering if the scene was somewhere besides NY, if indicated I must have missed that
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 16th, 2020 at 11:50:43 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Finished "Crazy Rich Asians"

Likely from fast-forwarding past opening credits, I missed the part where it indicates the time and place in the beginning, and so missed the jump from 1995 to 2018 and important continuity. So, thanks for pointing that out. I suppose 1995 Brits were still 'something else' maybe. 

I'd rate this movie a 6 out of 10, with a necessity to be in the mood for a romantic comedy in order to watch it. Certainly there are scenes that most guys find cringe-worthy in any such movie, and this one had them. The plot has a surprise twist along with a combination surprise and predictable ending, with unlikely elements that just have to be accepted due to the genre .

The showing of ostentatious wealth is fascinating and potentially off-putting, but it is done very well. As far as observing such as I have seen in real life, it only bothers me when I see the undesirable effect wealth has on kids so often; that can really make me sick. In this movie they certainly acknowledge that, maybe that's what made it OK for me. 

Worth seeing, but note you have to be in the mood.
December 16th, 2020 at 12:12:00 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit
Finished "Crazy Rich Asians"

Likely from fast-forwarding past opening credits, I missed the part where it indicates the time and place in the beginning, and so missed the jump from 1995 to 2018 and important continuity. So, thanks for pointing that out. I suppose 1995 Brits were still 'something else' maybe. 

I'd rate this movie a 6 out of 10, with a necessity to be in the mood for a romantic comedy in order to watch it. Certainly there are scenes that most guys find cringe-worthy in any such movie, and this one had them. The plot has a surprise twist along with a combination surprise and predictable ending, with unlikely elements that just have to be accepted due to the genre .

The showing of ostentatious wealth is fascinating and potentially off-putting, but it is done very well. As far as observing such as I have seen in real life, it only bothers me when I see the undesirable effect wealth has on kids so often; that can really make me sick. In this movie they certainly acknowledge that, maybe that's what made it OK for me. 

Worth seeing, but note you have to be in the mood.

Its a Rom/Com
Not exactly a guys kind of movie
My favorite parts are Awkwafina and the gay member of the family
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 16th, 2020 at 10:22:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
The showing of ostentatious wealth is fascinating and potentially off-putting, but it is done very well.

As far as observing such as I have seen in real life, it only bothers me when I see the undesirable effect wealth has on kids so often; that can really make me sick. In this movie they certainly acknowledge that, maybe that's what made it OK for me. 

People have been making movies about people with money forever.

December 16th, 2020 at 11:08:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 17th, 2020 at 12:03:45 AM permalink
Pacomartin
For the short period it has been in existence, Singapore is, without an exception, the most thriving colony which the British have in the East Indies... Within the last ten years, this place has increased and flourished beyond all calculation. An Indian village of forty or fifty bamboo huts has given place to a splendid well-built little city." (Benjamin Morrell, A Narrative of Four Voyages, 1832)

December 18th, 2020 at 6:08:04 AM permalink
odiousgambit
There is something imperfect about the looks of Awkwafina that [I imagine] keeps her from getting the leading lady role, but she can look just fine. In Crazy Rich Asians they succeeded in making her look pretty loony, very effective using the blond wig [I think it is a wig]. This sort of thing is the right role for her now for sure at 32.

December 18th, 2020 at 3:01:34 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
In 1970 when I was an eight year old child there was a movie called Love Story that had a huge buzz among the adults. There was a hit song and you heard about it on TV all the time. Unlike other movie sensations of the past it was quickly forgotten. I don't know if it was any good. It was some sappy teary eyed romance movie. I've never seen it and never wanted to. But to be such a big deal at the time, you never hear about it. I don't think anyone has seen it since 1970. I can't really think of any other movie like that.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 18th, 2020 at 3:39:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: JimRockford
I don't think anyone has seen it since 1970. I can't really think of any other movie like that.

I think there are a number of top-grossing films of 1970 that no one has seen in a long time

1 Love Story
2 Airport
3 M*A*S*H
4 Patton
5 Woodstock
6 Little Big Man
7 Tora! Tora! Tora!
8 Ryan's Daughter
9 Catch-22
10 The Owl and the Pussycat

#1 Love Story is a 1970 American romantic drama written by Erich Segal, who was also the author of the best-selling 1970 novel of the same name. It starred Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal, alongside John Marley, Ray Milland, and Tommy Lee Jones in his film debut in a minor role. A tragedy, the film is considered one of the most romantic by the American Film Institute (#9 on the list) and is one of the highest-grossing films of all time.

#2 Airport is a 1970 American air disaster–drama film written and directed by George Seaton and starring Burt Lancaster and Dean Martin. Based on Arthur Hailey's 1968 novel of the same name, it originated the 1970s disaster film genre. It is also the first in the Airport film series. Produced on a $10 million budget, it earned over $100 million.

#8 Ryan's Daughter is a 1970 British epic romantic drama film directed by David Lean. The film, set in August 1917–January 1918, tells the story of a married Irish woman who has an affair with a British officer during World War I, despite moral and political opposition from her nationalist neighbours; it stars Robert Mitchum, Sarah Miles, John Mills, Christopher Jones, Trevor Howard and Leo McKern. The film is a re-telling of the plot of Gustave Flaubert's 1857 novel Madame Bovary.
The score was written by Maurice Jarre and the movie was photographed in Super Panavision 70 by Freddie Young. In its initial release, Ryan's Daughter was harshly received by critics but was a box office success. It was nominated for four Academy Awards and won in two categories.

I think Little Big Man had a lot of pretty girls which my 13- year old self appreciated. I was graduating from films like "The Love Bug" from Disney.
December 18th, 2020 at 3:44:45 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin

1 Love Story
2 Airport
3 M*A*S*H
4 Patton
5 Woodstock
6 Little Big Man
7 Tora! Tora! Tora!
8 Ryan's Daughter
9 Catch-22
10 The Owl and the Pussycat

I was 12
1 did not see
2 what a hoot. loved it
3 another hoot, loved it
4 good war movie
5 saw this later in my life
6 School field trip to the theatre
7 school field trip to the theatre, watch it whenever I come across it on TV
8 did not see
9 saw this later on TV
10 Never saw
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"