What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

May 18th, 2022 at 5:41:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Heh. First time I've heard of this character.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 18th, 2022 at 3:28:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I just saw Everything Everywhere with Mrs. Wizad. We walked out half way through.

The plot is hard to explain. The closest thing I can compare it to is The Talisman. It suggests there are thousands of parallel universes and some people have the ability to jump between them as well as connect to their copies in other universes and instantly gain their skills. All this jumping around is controlled by some people in an RV. Then there is a villain and a reluctant savior.

That all sounds interesting, but the movie is sensory overload as it jumps from one universe to another every minute or so. There are so many plot twists it's almost impossible to keep up. And a fung fu fight in every other scene got old.

Much like Inception, I felt the makers were trying too hard to impress the audience. Maybe it's the kind of movie you either love or hate. You know what camp I'm in.

If anyone here has finished it, please let me know how it ends.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 18th, 2022 at 3:52:40 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
"Hard to Be a God."

A dark, dystopian exploration of the human condition as only the Russians can pull off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11sMDQIgggA
May 18th, 2022 at 7:37:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Wizard
I just saw Everything Everywhere with Mrs. Wizad. We walked out half way through.

The plot is hard to explain. The closest thing I can compare it to is The Talisman. It suggests there are thousands of parallel universes and some people have the ability to jump between them as well as connect to their copies in other universes and instantly gain their skills. All this jumping around is controlled by some people in an RV. Then there is a villain and a reluctant savior.

That all sounds interesting, but the movie is sensory overload as it jumps from one universe to another every minute or so. There are so many plot twists it's almost impossible to keep up. And a fung fu fight in every other scene got old.

Much like Inception, I felt the makers were trying too hard to impress the audience. Maybe it's the kind of movie you either love or hate. You know what camp I'm in.

If anyone here has finished it, please let me know how it ends.

Here you go.

It kind of wrapped up like the Wizard of Oz and The Brady Bunch combined. The fantastic characters were real people, a lesson was learned and love conquers all. I also detected a hint of Buddhist philosophy
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 18th, 2022 at 8:00:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I just saw Everything Everywhere with Mrs. Wizard. We walked out half way through.

The critics loved that film and in particular "Michelle Yeoh". One of the best reviewed moves of the year.
One Brit was one of the few who gave it a bad review "Despite some smart gags, this broadly buzzed-about comedy turns out to be an oddly mediocre misfire - it’s disconcerting to find it frantically hyperactive and self-admiring and yet strangely laborious, dull and overdetermined, never letting up for a single second to let us care about, or indeed believe in, any of its characters."
May 18th, 2022 at 8:20:44 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
One Brit was one of the few who gave it a bad review "Despite some smart gags, this broadly buzzed-about comedy turns out to be an oddly mediocre misfire - it’s disconcerting to find it frantically hyperactive and self-admiring and yet strangely laborious, dull and overdetermined, never letting up for a single second to let us care about, or indeed believe in, any of its characters."

I couldn't have said it better. What was the name of the reviewer? I would probably respect his other reviews. I think most movie reviewers forget that movies are supposed to tell a story the audience cares about.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 18th, 2022 at 9:03:24 PM permalink
rxwine
I would have been surprised if Wiz liked it actually.
May 19th, 2022 at 12:43:05 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I couldn't have said it better. What was the name of the reviewer? I would probably respect his other reviews. I think most movie reviewers forget that movies are supposed to tell a story the audience cares about.

I was quoting Peter Bradshaw from The Guardian in Britain

To get 12 bad reviews out of 283 is very rare, but some top critics really seem to detest the film.

There are some films that seem to get good reviews based on the inventiveness and/or the scale of the film. In 2003 the Lord of the Rings won best picture largely based on the sheer immense effort it took to film. I was a big fan of the books and a great admirer of Tolkein when I was a kid, but I thought the movie was incredibly boring.

===========================================

Peter Debruge : Variety TOP CRITIC: Mar 12, 2022
There are enough ideas in “Everything Everywhere All at Once” to fuel a dozen movies, or else a full-blown TV series, but the Daniels have shoehorned it all into a bombastic, emotionally draining 139 minutes.

Ryan Gilbey : New Statesman : TOP CRITIC : May 11, 2022
A great deal of energy and talent has been expended here on the idealisation of the family unit, and the quest for a United States that never existed.

Dwight Brown : DwightBrownInk.com TOP CRITIC: Apr 12, 2022
It’s a peculiar taste that might even split the opinions of diehard sci-fi/act/com fans.

Richard Brody : New Yorker TOP CRITIC : Mar 24, 2022
With its bland and faux-universal life lessons that cheaply ethicalize expensive sensationalism, the film comes off as a sickly cynical feature-length directorial pitch reel for a Marvel movie.

Katie Walsh: Tribune News Service TOP CRITIC: Mar 22, 2022
Admiring the chutzpah of The Daniels doesnt necessarily translate into actual enjoyment of the film, which is a high-concept project with plenty of flair, but a crucial lack of finesse in storytelling.

Peter Bradshaw : Guardian TOP CRITIC : May 11, 2022
I wish I liked it more.
May 19th, 2022 at 9:45:07 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Tom Cruise breaks into tears at surprise Cannes Film Festival award, gets a standing ovation for Top Gun: Maverick
Tom Cruise arrived for screening of Top Gun: Maverick at the Cannes Film Festival with fighter jets flying over the venue and left with tears in his eyes as he received a standing ovation for the film.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/entertainment/hollywood/tom-cruise-breaks-into-tears-at-surprise-cannes-film-festival-award-gets-a-standing-ovation-for-top-gun-maverick-101652928386409.html

Quote:
a six-minute standing ovation that moved Tom to tears.

Quote:
have jets expelling the colors of the French flag

https://www.hindustantimes.com/entertainment/hollywood/tom-cruise-breaks-into-tears-at-surprise-cannes-film-festival-award-gets-a-standing-ovation-for-top-gun-maverick-101652928386409.html
May 19th, 2022 at 9:58:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Normally, I would expect a film about American fighter jets to have a stronger American market than overseas as our military operations aren't without controversy. Perhaps Cruise cleverly edited in something related to current Ukraine situation which resonated with the Cannes audience.