What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

April 26th, 2022 at 3:31:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
National Treasure: Book of Secrets [2007]

It occurred to me watching this that one reason sequels suck is because the original film has to succeed with Willing Suspension of Disbelief, mindful of it to some degree, while a sequel will likely just take for granted the audience has granted them that suspension. Thus they take license to be outlandishly imaginative... certainly the case here. If you like that stuff, OK, otherwise skip this film. 

The plot doesn't deserve spoiler protection. The movie is about a treasure hunt to find an Indian city of gold. The motivation to find it comes from the desire to protect the Gates family name which was besmirched by a recently revealed page torn from John Wilkes Booth's diary ... a Gates ancestor is named as the mastermind behind the assassination of Lincoln, though it takes some interpretation of the evidence to conclude that. Though my Sus. of D. was suffering badly, enough to quit watching, still I watched the whole movie to be informed as to just why discovering this city of gold was going to clear the family name. Now we knew a cipher pointing to clues for that city was hidden on the back of the newly revealed diary page, but to me this did not have any connection. 

The end of the movie doesn't reveal anything more than that they found the city of gold which of course was a given from the beginning. I guess the movie means for us to conclude that the handed-down story that the 1865 Mr. Gates, ripping out pages from the diary, foiled a Confederate plot to find the city of gold was proved true. Thus, Gates was not an assassination conspirator. A little flimsy if you ask me, so I was expecting more than that. Pffff. 

One Gem stood out for sure: did you know Custer was operating in Montana because he was searching for Indian gold? Yep. 

I thought the business of missing pages in Booth's diary was made up too, but turns out this is correct, so I'll give them credit for thinking to use that. However, that clues to a city of gold were there, I mean...... Really!?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 26th, 2022 at 4:05:59 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
I actually saw a movie in the theater today and it's still new.

"EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE"

To say it's not linear is an understatement. To say it's about a visit to the IRS that goes completely off-kilter doesn't explain anything.

At first it looked like it was going to be a foreign film with subtitles but after some intro scenes it is almost completely in English.

I liked it but I can see some people not liking the film if they are looking for traditional style plotting and storyline. I thought it was a bit long though.

If you like going in blind and figuring things out, then this is the film for you.

It's got good reviews. Perhaps even excellent reviews mostly.

I saw that a couple weeks ago and loved it.

It’s super weird but in the best way possible.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 27th, 2022 at 9:31:31 AM permalink
ams288
13 years and countless delays later, Avatar 2 is finally coming…

Disney debuting the first footage at CinemaCon in Vegas today.

April 27th, 2022 at 10:00:10 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: ams288
13 years and countless delays later, Avatar 2 is finally coming…

Disney debuting the first footage at CinemaCon in Vegas today.

I will probably have to wait until I watch the first one.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 27th, 2022 at 11:16:36 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
National Treasure: Book of Secrets [2007]

It occurred to me watching this that one reason sequels suck is because the original film has to succeed with Willing Suspension of Disbelief, mindful of it to some degree, while a sequel will likely just take for granted the audience has granted them that suspension. Thus they take license to be outlandishly imaginative... certainly the case here. If you like that stuff, OK, otherwise skip this film. 

I have seen both movies in this franchise many times, I hope they make more. They are lots of fun.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 12th, 2022 at 5:51:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Anyone see a 2017 movie called "The Death of Stalin" It's a comedy. Sounds like it might be good.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 13th, 2022 at 5:10:07 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
The CEO of the company that I work for is a big "fly-boy". He has rented out many theaters across the country and in Lithuania for employees to get to see a sneak preview of the new Top Gun movie. It doesn't interest me but it seems many employees are very excited for this.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 13th, 2022 at 5:25:18 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: DRich
The CEO of the company that I work for is a big "fly-boy". He has rented out many theaters across the country and in Lithuania for employees to get to see a sneak preview of the new Top Gun movie. It doesn't interest me but it seems many employees are very excited for this.

Early reviews have been excellent.

I’ve never seen the original so I don’t have much interest.
May 14th, 2022 at 2:03:08 PM permalink
ddloml
Threads: 1
Reply to rxwine concerning Death of Stalin….

I saw it on Netflix a few years ago, mainly because Sir Michael Palin was in it. Nothing memorable about it.
May 14th, 2022 at 2:06:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: ddloml
Reply to rxwine concerning Death of Stalin….

I saw it on Netflix a few years ago, mainly because Sir Michael Palin was in it. Nothing memorable about it.

Thanks!
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?